Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What?! That makes no sense. If it lights up incorrectly, there is a bulb and a light. That is a idiotic diagnosis.
I videod under the console area and I do not see a light. They said there are two lights. One in the back bin under the arm rest and one on the pillar at the very top pf the console right at the back of the upper tray.

Attachments

• 5BD1CF5A-B903-4752-AC2F-1828A17E0217.jpeg
    5BD1CF5A-B903-4752-AC2F-1828A17E0217.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 116
I videod under the console area and I do not see a light. They said there are two lights. One in the back bin under the arm rest and one on the pillar at the very top pf the console right at the back of the upper tray.
Well that is confusing. So the armrest one is turning on when the shallow cubby is open? But turns off when the shallow cubby is retracted showing the deep console? That seems...backwards? And if it is not armrest light turning on into the deep console, what light is coming on?

Unless I am missing / not understanding something.

Well that is confusing. So the armrest one is turning on when the shallow cubby is open? But turns off when the shallow cubby is retracted showing the deep console? That seems...backwards? And if it is not armrest light turning on into the deep console, what light is coming on?

Unless I am missing / not understanding something.
Ok. They are wrong. I found the lights. They are two led strips located under the lower track on the left and right side. I sent the info to the service center. Amazing that they dont know the cars they work on.

Here is a picture looking up at the drivers side track light
DB0F0215-3E43-4B39-AAA1-0518BF975A05.jpeg

Reactions: electrongofast
I noticed in my new Model S Plaid the center console light turns off if you fully open the sliding lid.

Is this expected behavior? Intuitively the light should turn off when the lid is fully closed, and light should turn on when half-closed or fully opened

View attachment 728088
My Model S LR delivered in Dec behaves the same way, lower light turns off when fully open, and turns on when partially closed. Seemed backward, did SC ever resolve?

I have the exact same issue.. so many people sharing this one makes me wonder if it is supposed to work this way.. like a design flaw instead of a bug..

I meant, when it is fully opened, the opening is so big so you don't need it to be lit?
Only needed when it is partially open?

When it is closed, it is lit but it doesn't matter since you cannot see it.. 😅

I also found that, when the center storage light is on, the light inside the arm rest storage will get dimmer..

Last edited:
I am having discussions with the Tesla Engineering team online referred by the service department. Trading photos and info. I have read some horror stories on this “issue” so I am trying to get to some level of how to resolve before returning for service.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: cwanja
Having the same issue in my car. December build LR. Pretty odd problem and something tells me this isn’t something that would be fixed by a software update. For something as simple as these console lights Im assuming theres some sort of switch in correctly wired. I guess we’ll find out when someone actually gets this fixed from their SC.

Reactions: Blue Stuff