Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. If you look back in this thread there is a diagram showing how it is now being made. It looks like the change happened in Feb, 2022.
So… if a 2021 refresh got their console replaced with a post-feb-2022 version, what would that mean? That’s when the problem started in mine.

Are most folks just living with this and ignoring it? I’m on my third console and the drawer still sticks as well.

So… if a 2021 refresh got their console replaced with a post-feb-2022 version, what would that mean? That’s when the problem started in mine.

Are most folks just living with this and ignoring it? I’m on my third console and the drawer still sticks as well.
Mobile service came twice and failed to fix it both times. I'm living with it and checking this forum periodically to see if anybody reports a service bulletin on how to fix it.

My best guess is that there was a chip shortage at the beginning so they built controllers that weren't as smart as they were supposed to be. There are wiring harness and part changes that do not appear well documented. It seams reasonable that problems could be due to installing a different version console that doesn't match original wiring harness and controller. Might help if you describe exactly what you are experiencing. The drawer sticking sounds like a mechanical problem.

My thinking is that most people either don't notice or just willing to live with it for now.

Reactions: cwanja
Model S Refresh: Console related harness wiring diagram changes show change to X1127 Switch and additional wiring X982-pin 9 to X032-32 input to controller module. After 02/2022 the High-Side Drive power to the console LED's is managed exclusively by the controller. Prior to that, it is not clear if the controller made use of the Half Front Bin or Cupholder switches (X1115 or X1116).

Attachments

• Binder1.pdf
    79.4 KB · Views: 77

I'm living with it. I have bad experience with even "decent" dealers pulling out consoles and dashboards that then creak and squeek. Add in the fact that even Tesla doesn't seem to have a TSB on what exactly to do, you are totally at the mercy of the tech who comes out. If there's a formal documented fix I would take it in. Otherwise I'll wait it out

Reactions: mcirish
My latest experience with Tesla Service resulted in them 'fixing' my center console bin lighting. Invoice stated they corrected orientation of 3 micro switches. The result is that now the lower BIN lighting only turns on when lid is fully open. The sliding Tray lighting turns on when extended, off when retracted. Cup holder and half open lid positions still do nothing. The sliding tray LED remains on when extended regardless if the lid is closed. The result is exactly as @WilliamG described previously as the correct operation. Seems he was right for his time and that I expected more based on discovery of the latest and greatest electrical drawings.

As I look at the wiring diagrams for early builds (pre 02-2022), the BIN lighting IS NOW working correctly as drawn. The switch is wired in series with the lower lights and Tesla just needed it to be a Normally Open type rather than what was installed. It is clear now that this compromised design was intended for early build vehicles. They probably needed to meet delivery expectations and chose to cut a few corners to make it happen. Sucks for me but I get it. I also didn't get motors for the electronic tilting screen feature.

Best explanation (guess) is that the controller installed is lacking the circuitry (chips) intended to manage the console lighting intelligently.
Unfortunately it does not look like it can be fixed just by upgrading the controller. The controller wiring harness would also need to be modified.

Not sure yet if I'm going to complain about the tray light staying on all the time. Probably will keep it hidden anyway. We'll see.

My latest experience with Tesla Service resulted in them 'fixing' my center console bin lighting. Invoice stated they corrected orientation of 3 micro switches. The result is that now the lower BIN lighting only turns on when lid is fully open. The sliding Tray lighting turns on when extended, off when retracted. Cup holder and half open lid positions still do nothing. The sliding tray LED remains on when extended regardless if the lid is closed. The result is exactly as @WilliamG described previously as the correct operation. Seems he was right for his time and that I expected more based on discovery of the latest and greatest electrical drawings.

As I look at the wiring diagrams for early builds (pre 02-2022), the BIN lighting IS NOW working correctly as drawn. The switch is wired in series with the lower lights and Tesla just needed it to be a Normally Open type rather than what was installed. It is clear now that this compromised design was intended for early build vehicles. They probably needed to meet delivery expectations and chose to cut a few corners to make it happen. Sucks for me but I get it. I also didn't get motors for the electronic tilting screen feature.

Best explanation (guess) is that the controller installed is lacking the circuitry (chips) intended to manage the console lighting intelligently.
Unfortunately it does not look like it can be fixed just by upgrading the controller. The controller wiring harness would also need to be modified.

Not sure yet if I'm going to complain about the tray light staying on all the time. Probably will keep it hidden anyway. We'll see.
Saga Update: All of a sudden my console lights started working more intelligently. The extended tray light turns off when covered. The the lower bin light doesn't turn on if both the tray and cup holder are extended, even if sliding door is full open. Must of have been a software push... no other explanation.

Yup its normal, but you can get it corrected. My February 20, 2022 MS LR came that way. I used my cell phone video to show the service center that the light stayed on when the console door was fully closed. The light came on when you open it but goes out when the door is fully open. At first they said this was normal. Then I showed him one on the show room floor that worked correctly, so we scheduled a service appointment. It took a few weeks to get a whole new console. Yup, they replaced the whole center console. They gave me $500 in Uber credits. Finally I got a notice in my app that my Tesla was fixed. I grabbed an Uber and was just five minutes out when they called me. Said sorry its really not fixed that the new console had the same exact problem. The guy was so sorry that they did not fix it and we could schedule another appointment to trouble shoot the problem. Since the car was all put back together I told them I wanted it back, 10 days without my MS was too much. There was a dirty spot in the original part that I left as an indicator. The spot was gone indicating they really did change the whole console. I tested it . . . . guess what . . . it was fixed! I brought the service manager out and showed him it worked. We took a video to show light was out when door was closed. We saw the light stayed on when door was fully open. It was scary bringing in my MS, I hesitated for this exact reason. Poor communication between mechanics and service managers.

Reactions: drunkenbuda
Yup its normal, but you can get it corrected. My February 20, 2022 MS LR came that way. I used my cell phone video to show the service center that the light stayed on when the console door was fully closed. The light came on when you open it but goes out when the door is fully open. At first they said this was normal. Then I showed him one on the show room floor that worked correctly, so we scheduled a service appointment. It took a few weeks to get a whole new console. Yup, they replaced the whole center console. They gave me $500 in Uber credits. Finally I got a notice in my app that my Tesla was fixed. I grabbed an Uber and was just five minutes out when they called me. Said sorry its really not fixed that the new console had the same exact problem. The guy was so sorry that they did not fix it and we could schedule another appointment to trouble shoot the problem. Since the car was all put back together I told them I wanted it back, 10 days without my MS was too much. There was a dirty spot in the original part that I left as an indicator. The spot was gone indicating they really did change the whole console. I tested it . . . . guess what . . . it was fixed! I brought the service manager out and showed him it worked. We took a video to show light was out when door was closed. We saw the light stayed on when door was fully open. It was scary bringing in my MS, I hesitated for this exact reason. Poor communication between mechanics and service managers.
I had a recent visit to the service center and I am 100% with you on their poor communication.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I showed them this whole thread. Multiple people in fact. They completely brushed it off as irrelevant.
They are in a line, each with their head up the other person's arse. Be patient and persistent. Find one that works properly and show them. If they see two that work different they will HAVE to conclude that one is correct and the other needs to be fixed. Be patient and persistent.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwanja and WilliamG
They are in a line, each with their head up the other person's arse. Be patient and persistent. Find one that works properly and show them. If they see two that work different they will HAVE to conclude that one is correct and the other needs to be fixed. Be patient and persistent.

I have continued with the persistence. I mentioned it yet again at my service appointment last week.

The response?

“That’s just how they are.”

The drawer sticks, the lights are backwards - but it’s “just how they are”. So I’m literally getting an “it’s in spec” for a light that turns off when somethings open and on when closed.

If Elon is making “service improvements” I just am not seeing it here.

I guess everyone else has just accepted it, huh.

I have continued with the persistence. I mentioned it yet again at my service appointment last week.

The response?

The drawer sticks, the lights are backwards - but it’s “just how they are”. So I’m literally getting an “it’s in spec” for a light that turns off when somethings open and on when closed.

You need to find one that works to show them. Yup, the burden is on you to show them.

The response?

The console console bin lighting being backwards is a manufacturing defect that can be fixed. Everyone that has eventually gotten it fixed had to leave the car with them for a day or two. The technician needs time to dig deep into the problem and often consult engineering about how to fix it. Demand that they fix it. Ask to speak to the service manager. If he/she doesn't bend over backwards to accomodate you then complain about them to the site manager, then the regional manager. Tesla needs to fire those workers who don't at least aspire to provide exceptional service. Keep complaining until they fix it. Ask them about "lemon law" to see if it applies (it's a bluff tactic).