Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Edition Model S to Get Seven Seats, Production Starts Late 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk confirmed today that a new version of the Model S sedan will go into production in October or November of 2020.

Musk acknowledged on Twitter that Tesla is testing a Model S with three motors dubbed the “Plaid” edition, which reportedly bested the Porsche Taycan’s record run at the famed Nürburgring race track in Germany by 20 seconds. 

“It’s a start,” Musk said on Twitter. 

“We expect these track times to be beaten by the actual production 7 seat Model S Plaid variant that goes into production around Oct/Nov next year,” he added.

Tesla previously offered a 7-seat option for the Model S, five front-facing and two rear-facing seats. It seems an updated version of that configuration with larger seats will be introduced next year. 

Musk did not offer further details on performance specs or price for cars equipped with the Plaid powertrain, but added that the option will also eventually be offered for the Model X and Roadster. 

Last edited by a moderator:
don't because in the earliest it's in 15 months from now
Immaterial, product announcements are always leading by one year, eg taycant. Going to get crazy with model Y next year. Expected performance upgrades to model s is great news. The real question is what is the range going to be now with a 3 motor model S and the 'double height battery from the roadster'-but is probably not a double pack but some ongoing improvement to the battery.

And of course there is the pickup, hope they make a Dakar rally edition, or someone out there mods one for rally racing...

Reactions: Watts_Up
Well, once again all I need to do is buy a MS and Elon announces something new :) At least this time its a year out vs being available right away. Looks like I'll be trading my Raven for this when it comes out. I bet its 2021 - too much going on, they will need to deprioritize this. Also suspect a *legit* refresh is right around the corner after this is released.

Well, once again all I need to do is buy a MS and Elon announces something new :) At least this time its a year out vs being available right away. Looks like I'll be trading my Raven for this when it comes out. I bet its 2021 - too much going on, they will need to deprioritize this. Also suspect a *legit* refresh is right around the corner after this is released.
Keep us informed about your next tesla purchase, so we can time getting ours...

I know all that as I often demo my P100DL with the "I want my Mommy" message, along with the launch mode graphic. BUT .. my point is that the word "Plaid" over here doesn't have any connotations with speed or acceleration or anything close. It just means a boring cloth pattern, which would leave a lot of Brits (and possibly even the suppressed people of Europe) scratching their heads wondering if "Plaid Mode" causes a secret blanket to be unfurled from under the dash .. or sumthin ...

Hence suggesting the use of an actual 'Hyper-space' button as an extension beyond ludicrous.

Maybe we should run a thread asking MS owners for their suggestions of alternative words to Plaid ... :)
No No No No

You have it right about the word plaid everywhere. That's why it's hysterically funny.

Anyone who doesn't get the reference will of course ask "Why on earth would anyone call a car Plaid?", so you have their attention and can explain the joke. From then on they are insiders too.

Would there be an option for seven forward-facing seats? If not, then I wonder how it's different than the existing jump-seat option.
I have read today they will still be rear-facing. Based on the child version in mine, I too am wondering how they will be able to enlarge them enough for adults. I expect they will have to be lower and pretty much knees up. It's fascinating and I can't wait to see how they do it, Dragon Capsule technology perhaps?

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Azathoth and ICUDoc
Considering that the Model S Dual Motor LR costs is $80k and the Model S Preformance costs $100k,
would then possible that the Model S Triple-Motor Plaid would cost $120k?

For that kind of price range, I wonder if a more luxirious interior would be even a possibility, with first class Jet streatching seats?

View attachment 456231
And 220 mph top end.

Reactions: Watts_Up
OOOH! What a great idea!
Use those sexy Dragon capsule seats in a Model S! Not just jump seats, the front seats.
I'd pay for that option!

Yes, please. Design the Tesla car interior to look like the interior of the SpaceX capsule. It would be super cool, and please take my money. :)

21119686299_c88f63e350_b.jpg