Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid jumps and undeersteers when sharp turning at 3MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Upon receiving my Model S Plaid, I noticed during sharp turns, the front wheels will hop (jump) and car will move forward, as if the car is understeering. This happens consistently at 3 mph and above.

To reproduce this:
1. Rotate steering to max angle, say counter clockwise to the left
2. Accelerate slowly up to 5 MPH
3. Observe front wheels losing traction and car jump forward

Is this normal? Or is this issue intrinsic for all wheel drive cars with wide front tires? I thought the Ackerman steering angle should resolve this.

Reactions: MattMac
Spoke with the rep and also @WilliamG , confirmed this is normal due to low temperature and wide tires. I noticed if I warm up the tires by driving for a bit the traction during sharp turns improve

Yep, 100%. It's definitely jarring if you're not used to it, but it really is normal. I will say, even at 46F here in Seattle, a few minutes of warmed up tires and it's still got fantastic traction.

Spoke with the rep and also @WilliamG , confirmed this is normal due to low temperature and wide tires. I noticed if I warm up the tires by driving for a bit the traction during sharp turns improve

Is there a bump / thump sound that also happens with it? I noticed when I reverse out of the driveway with my wheels turned sharply in either direction will do this and the sound, I believe, comes from the side that is turned outwards. I set up a service appointment for this and also my TPMS doesn't seem to be reporting pressure on top of a couple other things.

Is there a bump / thump sound that also happens with it? I noticed when I reverse out of the driveway with my wheels turned sharply in either direction will do this and the sound, I believe, comes from the side that is turned outwards. I set up a service appointment for this and also my TPMS doesn't seem to be reporting pressure on top of a couple other things.
I mean there’s the sound of the tires losing traction/bunny hopping. It’s from the front wheels. It’s easy to see and hear outside the car.

Reactions: MattMac
Same issue on my Tesla S LR picked up in mid December 2021. It’s unnerving to hear that weird bump/thump sound while reversing out of my garage. Same story in any parking lot or taking U turns. The service guy here in Toronto told me it’s “normal” because for the large 21” tire size but that’s absolutely unacceptable!! Wondering if your service was able to resolve this issue for you. Will appreciate your response.

Same issue on my Tesla S LR picked up in mid December 2021. It’s unnerving to hear that weird bump/thump sound while reversing out of my garage. Same story in any parking lot or taking U turns. The service guy here in Toronto told me it’s “normal” because for the large 21” tire size but that’s absolutely unacceptable!! Wondering if your service was able to resolve this issue for you. Will appreciate your response.
There is no issue to resolve. It's the Ackerman effect as mentioned above. Suggest you read up on it rather than immediately rubbishing what someone in service tells you.

There is no issue to resolve. It's the Ackerman effect as mentioned above. Suggest you read up on it rather than immediately rubbishing what someone in service tells you.
Well don’t get me wrong ….I’m a HUGE Tesla/Elon fan and love the car but trying to shut me up by saying it’s the “Ackerman effect” and I should read about it is not a solution. I’m 60 years old and have owned some of the best vehicles including sports cars. My most recent Porsche 911 Carrera 4S and Mercedes S500 don’t make this weird noise and NONE of the 15+ cars I’ve personally owned made that noise. With due respect, your pointing to “Ackerman effect” is not an acceptable response. The car should not be making that noise period. If it does, they need to advertise that it comes with the Ackerman effect sound and that would impact most peoples buying decisions. People don’t expect this sound from a $100k+ vehicle or for that matter from any vehicle.

Well don’t get me wrong ….I’m a HUGE Tesla/Elon fan and love the car but trying to shut me up by saying it’s the “Ackerman effect” and I should read about it is not a solution. I’m 60 years old and have owned some of the best vehicles including sports cars. My most recent Porsche 911 Carrera 4S and Mercedes S500 don’t make this weird noise and NONE of the 15+ cars I’ve personally owned made that noise. With due respect, your pointing to “Ackerman effect” is not an acceptable response. The car should not be making that noise period. If it does, they need to advertise that it comes with the Ackerman effect sound and that would impact most peoples buying decisions. People don’t expect this sound from a $100k+ vehicle or for that matter from any vehicle.
My Porsche 911 did the same and so have many other cars I've owned and driven. The cost of the car is irrelevant. It's a combination of the car's geometry, the tyres fitted and the temperature.

Here, I'll help you understand the problem: Let Me Google That

You’re driving on high performance tires where they’re not designed to be driven. You’re in Toronto, yes? Your weather is close to freezing. Go drive a Panamera with summers in this weather. It’ll lurch you out the window it’s so aggressively “Ackermaned” up. 😂 Model S is gentle by comparison! In the summer months this phenomenon goes away, of course.

You’re driving on high performance tires where they’re not designed to be driven. You’re in Toronto, yes? Your weather is close to freezing. Go drive a Panamera with summers in this weather. It’ll lurch you out the window it’s so aggressively “Ackermaned” up. 😂 Model S is gentle by comparison! In the summer months this phenomenon goes away, of course.
Well I’m sure it not doing to lurch me out at 3-5km per hour. I have not yet changed out to winters since Tesla don’t have any in stock and I want to ensure I have wheels and tires as per Tesla spec which the after market does not currently offer in Toronto (out of stock) so I am stuck driving my Merc S550 with winters. My service tech said the 21” will have the same issue in summer….it’s the size and the 19” won’t, so I’m happy to swap to 19” (summer and winter) if that sound (thud/bump and Jerking) can go away. And BTW my Porsche does not make that sound 😊. Perhaps there is issue with my car based on your responses and I’d like to get to the bottom of it for myself and others on this forum.

Well I’m sure it not doing to lurch me out at 3-5km per hour. I have not yet changed out to winters since Tesla don’t have any in stock and I want to ensure I have wheels and tires as per Tesla spec which the after market does not currently offer in Toronto (out of stock) so I am stuck driving my Merc S550 with winters. My service tech said the 21” will have the same issue in summer….it’s the size and the 19” won’t, so I’m happy to swap to 19” (summer and winter) if that sound (thud/bump and Jerking) can go away. And BTW my Porsche does not make that sound 😊. Perhaps there is issue with my car based on your responses and I’d like to get to the bottom of it for myself and others on this forum.

I did not have this until the weather changed to cooler. 50s and below is when it started. There's nothing to get to the bottom of...

I experience the same thing backing out of my driveway and it seems to be independent from temperature 30-80 deg F anyway.

Ackerman angle is used to eliminate the described wheel hop issue; not cause it.
I mentioned the "effect" not the angle.