Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, in true Tesla fashion, it’s not a fix or redesign - just a work around at the owners expense. In this case, sight less range and power.
I doubt it’s less power. In fact I bet depending on throttle position it doesn’t have any less power. At low throttle input it might be a little less (which is 100% irrelevant as you can push the pedal a bit more to get more power). At full throttle the 40-50mph vibration is so lost among the other drivetrain craziness that takes place that I’d guess there’s no throttle map changes at ~100% throttle. That would mean no 0-60 changes or quarter mile changes. The vibration is simply irrelevant and unnoticeable at that rate of acceleration.

Of course, just spitballing here. But it makes sense to me.

I doubt it’s less power. In fact I bet depending on throttle position it doesn’t have any less power. At low throttle input it might be a little less (which is 100% irrelevant as you can push the pedal a bit more to get more power). At full throttle the 40-50mph vibration is so lost among the other drivetrain craziness that takes place that I’d guess there’s no throttle map changes at ~100% throttle. That would mean no 0-60 changes or quarter mile changes. The vibration is simply irrelevant and unnoticeable at that rate of acceleration.

Of course, just spitballing here. But it makes sense to me.
There’s absolutely vibration noticeable on my car at WOT

There’s absolutely vibration noticeable on my car at WOT
Yes, but the vibration at WOT is throughout the ENTIRE lower speed range (0-100-ish), and is probably not fixed with this TSB. 1020hp is an insane amount of power to put through a car, and 40-50mph lasts what, about 0.3 seconds or so? We feel a lot more vibration than just 0.3 seconds worth. I guess we’ll see what happens when we ever get this TSB applied, but I suspect at WOT there will be no changes.

Could explain why the software fix is only for the plaid despite the LR also having the problem — not enough “excess” power available on the dual motor cars to reduce front power and maintain the same performance.
I don't think so. The vibration only occurs under light acceleration. Under slightly stronger acceleration it goes away. All normal torque ranges for the LR or Plaid. It's possible that the lightened rotors of the Plaid motors make it worse, though.

As mentioned earlier, I don't think they need to reduce max power. They just need to adjust more power to the rear motors under light acceleration in the problematic speed range.

Reactions: SDRick
Not really. Even if it is the half shafts that vibrate, it’s not from a defect of the half shafts. If it were there would be no software fix. If the electronics excite a natural vibration frequency of the half shafts you can say it’s a design problem, but more an electric design one.
How come they fix it momentarily by changing to new shafts?

Its a hardware - design issue, with bad joint angles that Tesla aim to fix with software.

Reactions: n2mb_racing
I don't think so. The vibration only occurs under light acceleration. Under slightly stronger acceleration it goes away. All normal torque ranges for the LR or Plaid. It's possible that the lightened rotors of the Plaid motors make it worse, though.

As mentioned earlier, I don't think they need to reduce max power. They just need to adjust more power to the rear motors under light acceleration in the problematic speed range.
Not sure I agree with you and @WilliamG on this. For example, when you are in track mode and toggle to rear bias, the front motor will make some amount less HP/Torque (check). I think your other assumption is that the rear motors infinitely make up for the HP/Torque the front gives up. Perhaps, but I'm not convinced there is capacity there, or if this toggle changes anything with the rear DU controllers. Take the extreme case that one poster proposed - front DU is turned off - do you really think the rear DU will increase output by over 300HP?!

Time will tell. We will need 0-60 times and more before we understand what this, "work-around" fix for an obvious design flaw actually does (or doesn't). ARNR, anyone?

Not sure I agree with you and @WilliamG on this. For example, when you are in track mode and toggle to rear bias, the front motor will make some amount less HP/Torque (check). I think your other assumption is that the rear motors infinitely make up for the HP/Torque the front gives up. Perhaps, but I'm not convinced there is capacity there, or if this toggle changes anything with the rear DU controllers. Take the extreme case that one poster proposed - front DU is turned off - do you really think the rear DU will increase output by over 300HP?!

Time will tell. We will need 0-60 times and more before we understand what this, "work-around" fix for an obvious design flaw actually does (or doesn't). ARNR, anyone?
Right. They will shift the torque to the rear under light acceleration. Under hard acceleration, they will still need to use all three motors. But, that should mask the problem pretty well. I could live with that.

The vibration occurs not just under light acceleration. It’s just extremely transient under heavy acceleration.

Reactions: jebinc
Right. They will shift the torque to the rear under light acceleration. Under hard acceleration, they will still need to use all three motors. But, that should mask the problem pretty well. I could live with that.
I think that will be part of it. I’m not convinced it will be a complete shift to the rear. I don't know if anyone has confirmed that in track mode with bias set to the rear if it really is 100% to the rear.

In any case, if it were full rear it would be less safe in the winter, no question. I still suspect the front motor will be used but will be tweaked somehow.

My guess is the fix will be very slight tweaks to front motor output during the affected range under light acceleration and nothing else.

Back when I got new half shafts, it did NOT fix the vibration, not even temporarily. I noticed it again within the same day.

Reactions: NeuroRad
I think that will be part of it. I’m not convinced it will be a complete shift to the rear. I don't know if anyone has confirmed that in track mode with bias set to the rear if it really is 100% to the rear.

In any case, if it were full rear it would be less safe in the winter, no question. I still suspect the front motor will be used but will be tweaked somehow.
It's not, it's a "rear bias" as once displayed in Track mode (the slider is now longer labeled this way). Oh, head's up.... When I was "Patient Zero" for the Bellevue, WA SC, Central Engineering had the SC tech disable the from DU entirely and yet the vibration remained. I have that documented somewhere, but real how shocked I was when hearing and reading that at the time, so..........

I'm hoping I can opt out of the TSB. It may fix one thing but break something else.
Likely the only way is to never install a firmware version newer than 2023.43.

Given the details in the SB it doesn't really seem like it will be optional: (i.e. they won't be maintaining two different branches going forward; one with and one without the fix.)

1699814529941.png

1699814541525.png