Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that my recall my early report, just after installing 2023.44.30.5.1 (Holiday Update), I reported the "frequency change" of the vibration and that it (for me) has moved up 10 mph.

Meaning, it's a lower frequency vibration that occurs mostly now in the 50-56 mph range, than 38-50 mph range. Would love for some to try this out and report.
I didn't notice anything in that range, though my focus was in the 35-50 area primarily.

Just got back from yet another drive this morning, in the rain for the first time, and can report:

1.) Auto wipers "working" again finally. I did not need to make any manual wipe interventions. Yay!

2.) Vibration still all but gone, - it's really like a different car.

I had @Muzzman1 pull some logs from his car (2021 Plaid) for us, and with his permission posting the results here. Here is the front motor duty pre holiday update:

And here is the front motor duty on 2023.44.30.5.1 (holiday update with TSB fix):

While not scientific, it as good as confirms that it's not our imagination, and the front motor changes affect the usage even in the 20s range.

While not scientific, it as good as confirms that it's not our imagination, and the front motor changes affect the usage even in the 20s range.
Am I reading this right (Side by side video screenshots @43mph attached)..... prior, total power to both front and rear was over 79kW and now it's nearly twice as efficient at only ~45 kW total (at ~43mph UI speed). And, we are supposed to get a slightly lower EPA. Sorry, doesn't compute.

Edit: Someone with a draggy do some 0-60 runs and report any change.... Would be interesting to see if Tesla turned our cars into largely Dual motor RWD. Would love to see Dyno results as well.

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 11.35.00 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Am I reading this right (Side by side video screenshots @43mph attached)..... prior, total power to both front and rear was over 79kW and now it's nearly twice as efficient at only ~45 kW total (at ~43mph UI speed). And, we are supposed to get a slightly lower EPA. Sorry, doesn't compute.

Edit: Someone with a draggy do some 0-60 runs and report any change.... Would be interesting to see if Tesla turned our cars into largely Dual motor RWD. Would love to see Dyno results as well.

View attachment 1004369
No, that’s not right. Notice there’s a different throttle input here (thus lack of completely scientifically accurate comparison). 0-60 and quarter mile times shouldn’t change one millisecond even. You have to remember that Tesla is almost certainly making this change under “low” throttle inputs. At full power there’s complete mayhem going on and I would bet the front motor behaves exactly as it’s always done. It’s just that vibration is so transient at full throttle position that it’s not even worth mentioning. This is a car that does 0-60 in 2 seconds. 35-50 in what? 0.5 seconds? Less? Are you going to notice any specific vibration at 35-50 when the whole car is shot out of the proverbial cannon? Na.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
No, that’s not right. Notice there’s a different throttle input here (thus lack of completely scientifically accurate comparison). 0-60 and quarter mile times shouldn’t change one millisecond even. You have to remember that Tesla is almost certainly making this change under “low” throttle inputs. At full power there’s complete mayhem going on and I would bet the front motor behaves exactly as it’s always done. It’s just that vibration is so transient at full throttle position that it’s not even worth mentioning. This is a car that does 0-60 in 2 seconds. 35-50 in what? 0.5 seconds? Less? Are you going to notice any specific vibration at 35-50 when the whole car is shot out of the proverbial cannon? Na.
Wasn’t talking about the vibration, but rather the effect the “fix” may have on dyno (total HP) and 0-60 times. Facts and data will set us free.

Wasn’t talking about the vibration, but rather the effect the “fix” may have on dyno (total HP) and 0-60 times. Facts and data will set us free.
I know what you were talking about, matey! It's pretty easy to test. We know peak kW from the car (around 780kW). Looking at all my logs since day 1 of ownership, I can see peak kW performance is 784kW, with most in the 770s, and one odd one at 804kW (never done that since!). Peak performance won't change, - I can near as guarantee it. As mentioned, the change has happened at low throttle inputs. This will have nothing to do with total HP or 0-60 times, which are not done at low throttle input, of course.

I know what you were talking about, matey! It's pretty easy to test. We know peak kW from the car (around 780kW). Looking at all my logs since day 1 of ownership, I can see peak kW performance is 784kW, with most in the 770s, and one odd one at 804kW (never done that since!). Peak performance won't change, - I can near as guarantee it. As mentioned, the change has happened at low throttle inputs. This will have nothing to do with total HP or 0-60 times, which are not done at low throttle input, of course.
Not sure I agree, re zero to 60 effect. When floored, all three motors are maxed, subject to traction control adjustment. If the “bias” is more rear now, than before, you may have slower times as the front motor is pulling under the traction control cut off. Again, we can speculate here until the cows come home, so I’m hopeful someone will post 0-60 times and maybe even a dyno.

Not sure I agree, re zero to 60 effect. When floored, all three motors are maxed, subject to traction control adjustment. If the “bias” is more rear now, than before, you may have slower times as the front motor is pulling under the traction control cut off. Again, we can speculate here until the cows come home, so I’m hopeful someone will post 0-60 times and maybe even a dyno.
I feel like maybe there's a misunderstanding here. Think of it in simpler terms:

1.) Under light to moderate throttle, the TSB is in effect.
2.) Under full throttle, the TSB is not in effect.

Therefore, as stated, 0-60 times are not affected, and neither are quarter mile times, or any performance times!

I feel like maybe there's a misunderstanding here. Think of it in simpler terms:

1.) Under light to moderate throttle, the TSB is in effect.
2.) Under full throttle, the TSB is not in effect.

Therefore, as stated, 0-60 times are not affected, and neither are quarter mile times, or any performance times!
100% Agree.
I went out again and tried to achieve similar rate of acceleration with success. Here's the same "battery power" with the same speed.
Check out the ratio of front to rear between the old and new firmware:

Old firmware:
old Firmware .jpg

New Firmware:
New Firmware.jpg

You can see in the old firmware the front motor was over powering the 2 rears.

And for reference. This is a screenshot at full acceleration
JPEG image.jpeg

And finally this is mild acceleration (similar to 1st two pics above) but in track mode with 100% rear bias
Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 3.23.04 PM.jpg

Just did a bunch of testing of my own while logging speed, battery power, and power to each motor (amongst other things) with tesLAX.

Here are my observations:

- Vibration i used to have between about 40 and 50 mph is gone for me
- New faint vibration between about 60 and 70 mph

I recorded a video of tesLAX while accelerating lightly between 0 and 60 mph.

If you pay attention to motor powers as speed increases steadily:

- Rear motors only from 0 to almost 20 moh
- Front motors blend in from 20 to upper 50’s
- Rear motors shut off above mid 50’s

This correlates well with my new vibration, which starts when the front motor fully takes over.

Just did a bunch of testing of my own while logging speed, battery power, and power to each motor (amongst other things) with tesLAX.

This correlates well with my new vibration, which starts when the front motor fully takes over.

Yep, as I mentioned earlier - the vibration has shifted into the 50-60 for me as well.

For those that my recall my early report, just after installing 2023.44.30.5.1 (Holiday Update), I reported the "frequency change" of the vibration and that it (for me) has moved up 10 mph.

Meaning, it's a lower frequency vibration that occurs mostly now in the 50-56 mph range, than 38-50 mph range. Would love for some to try this out and report.
Just did a 40-mile drive. 50-70 is smoooooth as silk. No vibration at all.

This is interesting, and proves I wasn’t losing it earlier. I don’t think there’s a new vibration around 60mph. I think it’s always been there but gets drowned out by regular road vibration etc. People always stated 40-50mph and I maintained ages ago the vibration does NOT go away beyond 50mph (or, of course earlier than 40). I think what’s happening is now it’s likely easier to tell that upper speed vibration because it’s pretty much gone below 60.

Do we have data from 60mph on an older software? I’m curious as to whether there’s any difference in front motor usage. @Muzzman1

This is interesting, and proves I wasn’t losing it earlier. I don’t think there’s a new vibration around 60mph. I think it’s always been there but gets drowned out by regular road vibration etc. People always stated 40-50mph and I maintained ages ago the vibration does NOT go away beyond 50mph (or, of course earlier than 40). I think what’s happening is now it’s likely easier to tell that upper speed vibration because it’s pretty much gone below 60.

Do we have data from 60mph on an older software? I’m curious as to whether there’s any difference in front motor usage. @Muzzman1
Yes, My original video that was used for all above screenshots went up to 60.

Rear motors not shutting off above 50.

...and as @MarcG stated, rears go WAY down above 50 under light cruise with latest firmware

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 5.38.05 PM.jpg

Reactions: WilliamG
Yes, My original video that was used for all above screenshots went up to 60.

Rear motors not shutting off above 50.

...and as @MarcG stated, rears go WAY down above 50 under light cruise with latest firmware

View attachment 1004435
That definitely doesn't go against my theory that some people are just noticing it above 50 because of the changes below 50.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muzzman1
I am 100% still getting the vibration. Almost 0 change for me. I've been on vacation and reading for a few days everyone having success with the new firmware and I was looking forward to getting home and just trying it again. I was on 44.30.6. Keep in mind my plaid is Hw4, one of the first (born in Mar 23). Starting at 30 the vibration goes mostly until I hit 50. It does seem to get better the more I drive but not gone.

I got a new firmware update when I got home. 44.30.7. I will test the new firmware tomorrow morning when I go run some errands. Pretty deflating. I guess I may need to check in with service to see if they have a clue. It would be nice to get this fixed. It's slowly gotten worse as I have had it more. It's not the worse thing, I love the car, but it does the vibration does get a bit annoying at times.