Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery June 28th MFG date 5/2021 VIN: 430791

can confirm I have the vibration around 40 and an internal rattle that’s been driving me crazy near the back seat somewhere.
I had the back seat rattle same build date. The latch for the passenger rear seat is off....they fixed it with padded tape to make it tighter until new part is made

Reactions: distortion2112
I had the back seat rattle same build date. The latch for the passenger rear seat is off....they fixed it with padded tape to make it tighter until new part is made
I’m going to talk to mobile service about this Sept 4th and then call your username out to the heavens when I don’t hear it again. It is the tell-tale heart of my EV supremacy. Thank you, kind stranger!

I did the driving test on both my Plaids, one 21” and the other 19”. They are about 275 vin apart.

21” Michelin
I notice the slight vibration at 40ish but not severe. To me it feel like the tire tread resonance. The groves are bigger and different on this vs the 19”. First picture is the Michelin 21” and second is the Pirelli 19”. I do notice under hard acceleration that there is some shutter. All test were done with low mode. I remember the shaft issue on my 2016 and 2020 Model X, but they were mainly with the suspension in high mode. I haven’t tried to set the suspension in high and flooring it. To me, when flooring it feel like slipping of the wheel and not shaft related. I can confirm by looking at all the tire dust after each time I play with the hard acceleration

19” Pirelli
I don’t have any vibration at 40ish. Tried to move higher to 50’s. Though I felt something, but so minor that not worth mentioning. Again under hard acceleration from 30 up, I do feel the studdering, but I still attribute that feeling to losing grip on the road. The traction control as I understand it is working like crazy varying the power to the limits to prevent slip. With the plaid there is a little bit of slip. I also notice the under hard acceleration vibration is worse on the 19” which makes more sense since we lose 1cm front and rear on the contact patch. Hard acceleration from 60 doesn’t produce any of these vibrations. So I don’t think it is shaft related.

hope this helps. I don’t think what I’m feeling is shaft related. I know what the shaft issues are and how they feel in the MX since I’ve had them on both. They make more of a mechanical noise. These studdering at lower speed high acceleration to me feels like lost of grip and the system trying to keep at the limits. None of this can be felt at higher pedal smashing at all on both cars.

Both cars are on 2021.12.4.9. Both are the quietest cars I've had from Tesla and I've had all of them starting with the 2013 MS, 2016 MX, 2018 M3, 2020 MX, 2020 MY. I hope you find and fix the issue that is troubling you.

Attachments

• A75F0348-7388-4E76-8FF2-B354CB9861AE.jpeg
    A75F0348-7388-4E76-8FF2-B354CB9861AE.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 60
  • E6DF43D2-A459-4A73-8994-C7C2CEB4C698.jpeg
    E6DF43D2-A459-4A73-8994-C7C2CEB4C698.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 40
Is the vibration present when in Chill Mode?

perhaps it’s “just” insane torque causing wheel slippage?
there are two vibrations being described by folks here. one is at constant speed at around 40ish. seems to only happen on the michelin 21" wheels for me.

the other vibration is more of a wheel slippage feeling. slip, cut power, slip cut power, not sure the frequency. but doesn't feel like same as the issue with the shaft problem with the model x.

Reactions: foos and smf72
there are two vibrations being described by folks here. one is at constant speed at around 40ish. seems to only happen on the michelin 21" wheels for me.

the other vibration is more of a wheel slippage feeling. slip, cut power, slip cut power, not sure the frequency. but doesn't feel like same as the issue with the shaft problem with the model x.

Thanks!

I did the driving test on both my Plaids, one 21” and the other 19”. They are about 275 vin apart.

21” Michelin
I notice the slight vibration at 40ish but not severe. To me it feel like the tire tread resonance. The groves are bigger and different on this vs the 19”. First picture is the Michelin 21” and second is the Pirelli 19”. I do notice under hard acceleration that there is some shutter. All test were done with low mode. I remember the shaft issue on my 2016 and 2020 Model X, but they were mainly with the suspension in high mode. I haven’t tried to set the suspension in high and flooring it. To me, when flooring it feel like slipping of the wheel and not shaft related. I can confirm by looking at all the tire dust after each time I play with the hard acceleration

19” Pirelli
I don’t have any vibration at 40ish. Tried to move higher to 50’s. Though I felt something, but so minor that not worth mentioning. Again under hard acceleration from 30 up, I do feel the studdering, but I still attribute that feeling to losing grip on the road. The traction control as I understand it is working like crazy varying the power to the limits to prevent slip. With the plaid there is a little bit of slip. I also notice the under hard acceleration vibration is worse on the 19” which makes more sense since we lose 1cm front and rear on the contact patch. Hard acceleration from 60 doesn’t produce any of these vibrations. So I don’t think it is shaft related.

hope this helps. I don’t think what I’m feeling is shaft related. I know what the shaft issues are and how they feel in the MX since I’ve had them on both. They make more of a mechanical noise. These studdering at lower speed high acceleration to me feels like lost of grip and the system trying to keep at the limits. None of this can be felt at higher pedal smashing at all on both cars.

Both cars are on 2021.12.4.9. Both are the quietest cars I've had from Tesla and I've had all of them starting with the 2013 MS, 2016 MX, 2018 M3, 2020 MX, 2020 MY. I hope you find and fix the issue that is troubling you.
I believe the issue folks are experiencing is when doing slight acceleration. Is that what you tested on the 21” wheels? Vibration during hard acceleration isn’t the concern, per se.

I believe the issue folks are experiencing is when doing slight acceleration. Is that what you tested on the 21” wheels? Vibration during hard acceleration isn’t the concern, per se.
I get the slight vibration at around 40mph on the 21” but nothing on the 19”. Yes it is there with or without slight acceleration. But goes away after a certain speed above 40. This leads me to believe it is tire tread resonance related. As it isn’t present in my 19” plaid. I tried searching for it on the 19” seems to be at much higher somewhere above 50-55 but so slight it is almost not noticeable.

had my fair share of issues as an early adopter. my 2013 MS had bearing issues with the motor and had to be replaced. then i destroyed the shaft on another occasion. this doesn't sound like any of those.

I've also had the infamous issues with the MX where the driveline issues with the front suspension. but this doesn't sound like that either.

I get the slight vibration at around 40mph on the 21” but nothing on the 19”. Yes it is there with or without slight acceleration. But goes away after a certain speed above 40. This leads me to believe it is tire tread resonance related. As it isn’t present in my 19” plaid. I tried searching for it on the 19” seems to be at much higher somewhere above 50-55 but so slight it is almost not noticeable.

had my fair share of issues as an early adopter. my 2013 MS had bearing issues with the motor and had to be replaced. then i destroyed the shaft on another occasion. this doesn't sound like any of those.

I've also had the infamous issues with the MX where the driveline issues with the front suspension. but this doesn't sound like that either.
Interesting. Thx for the additional data points. As I’m somewhat sensitive to vibrations, I intend to test my Plaid once it gets back from the detailer and will share my results as well.

I'd like to help if possible. Anyone in the Seattle area with the vibration? Mine doesn't have it that I can tell (I'm sensitive to such things), but being able to see a car that does might help determine if it's just something I'm not noticing, or if it really is some cars do/some cars don't.

Did a little more testing since I just got 2021.32.5. For the 40mph issue is probably software related, eliminated the tread as the possibility. constant speed you cannot feel it, have to vary the speed around 40mph to feel anything. it seems like it is just the motors opposing each other like someone suggested? I don't think it is the shaft since it only happens around one speed. in any event, it doesn't bother me at all. but it is an interesting issue.

Reactions: smf72
When I'm doing around 38-42 mph and slightly press the accelerator I get vibration on the wheel and in the car. It almost feels like you've shifted in 5th gear on an ICE car and its slowly bogging down the motor. Of course if you press harder you don't get the vibration. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Anything before or after this speed doesn't have this issue. I'm wondering if the motors are not in sync at the speed?
Maybe a hidden second gear?