Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my 2021 Taycan, I get motor whine with ever so slight vibration at exactly 38mph and it immediately stops when I reach 43mph. I know these are 2 different cars with different parts but I found it coincidental that my experience occurs during the same mph interval as what you guys are experiencing.

Reactions: cytranic
Yes I can feel it around 40mph with slight acceleration. It's the motor harmonics. Every motor has max vibration pattern at certain rpm. Plaid motors have max vibration at around 40 mph whatever the motor rpm is at that speed. Nothing to worry about. It's like accelerating manual tranny car from lower speed in taller gear.
Def not ok , a vibration as strong as this one is going to result in long term issues with various components in the car , the forces are pretty High for you to feel this thru the extensive dampening in the cars design. I am waiting to see for someone to report a solid fix on this.

Reactions: Issaction
Received my Plaid/21" Wheels on 8/29 and have the same vibration issue 39-44mph. Noticeable when you accelerate slowly. I have not complained/made an appt yet, because I don't want to deal with the BS mentioned above. When I got my X, any small problems - like the FWDs not lining up was "within tolerance", etc. When I received my car, it was autocalibrating for over 200miles. I did a soft reset and my GPS/NAV was all messed up. Had to have the car serviced overnight for them to re download the GPS data. So, I'm going to "stockpile" problems like I did with my old X and turn it in for service when I can't tolerate the problems anymore.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
I was also getting the vibration on my Plaid with 21”s between 39-44mph and easily felt in the gas pedal since day one.

I have recently switched to 20” Signature wheels and Michelin all seasons tires and I can confirm that I no longer am feeling the vibration in the gas pedal.

I had the tire shop road force balance the tires/wheels. I’m also using the Signature titanium lug nuts (doubt that matters).

im running 20x10 (285/35) and 20x11 (305/35).

maybe the vibration is still there to a lesser degree but I definitely do not feel it anymore and it was easily felt on the 21s every single time.

anyone else swap out to non-stock wheels still getting vibration?

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
Tread interaction exciting a resonant frequency in a suspension component? Does it vary with road surface? Does it repeat itself at double the speed?
It does seem to vary with road surface. I also have a whistle/harmonics around 80MPH that I'm suspecting is the tread as well, because it does not happen on certain roads either. I've had this theory too. The 80MPH would be double, but I don't get a vibration only a noise at 80-MPH

Took delivery on my Plaid this afternoon and hit the interstate to drive home. OMG, the vibration is HORRIBLE! Mine starts at around 38'ish and will hold pretty much until around 61. It vibrates the accelerator pedal but if you ease off just a bit before the regen is engaged it immediately goes away while holding in that position.

For Tesla to say this is "normal" is complete bullshit and I won't accept that nonsense. Will I give them time to figure it out? Of course but damn what a helluva letdown.

Also, when I accelerate a smidge aggressively, the freaking car pulls to the left from the torque. :mad:

Reactions: Issaction
Took delivery on my Plaid this afternoon and hit the interstate to drive home. OMG, the vibration is HORRIBLE! Mine starts at around 38'ish and will hold pretty much until around 61. It vibrates the accelerator pedal but if you ease off just a bit before the regen is engaged it immediately goes away while holding in that position.

For Tesla to say this is "normal" is complete bullshit and I won't accept that nonsense. Will I give them time to figure it out? Of course but damn what a helluva letdown.

Also, when I accelerate a smidge aggressively, the freaking car pulls to the left from the torque. :mad:
That sounds like more going on than this issue.

Reactions: cytranic and jleonk
Ok, I stopped by the Tampa service center and I was lucky to catch one of the tech's who is the most familiar with the Plaid. He and I went for a ride with him at the controls. He nodded his head and confirmed that this is the same issue that others have been complaining about. He immediately stated that engineering is aware of the problem but no fix available at this time.

Just wanted to share as it appears that his statement is right inline with what other owners are being told.

Ok, I stopped by the Tampa service center and I was lucky to catch one of the tech's who is the most familiar with the Plaid. He and I went for a ride with him at the controls. He nodded his head and confirmed that this is the same issue that others have been complaining about. He immediately stated that engineering is aware of the problem but no fix available at this time.

Just wanted to share as it appears that his statement is right inline with what other owners are being told.

Probably same tech that checked my car out last month. He agreed it's there but said if it doesn't get worse don't worry about it. Car is under warranty for a while. He said if a fix becomes apparent just bring it back in.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
My 21’s should be here by Monday. These bad boys are ready to go on. No vibration now. Will be interesting data point.
449A86CD-0675-473A-AB0F-4B1F08C2FA08.jpeg