Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the slight vibration at around 40mph on the 21” but nothing on the 19”. Yes it is there with or without slight acceleration. But goes away after a certain speed above 40. This leads me to believe it is tire tread resonance related. As it isn’t present in my 19” plaid. I tried searching for it on the 19” seems to be at much higher somewhere above 50-55 but so slight it is almost not noticeable.

had my fair share of issues as an early adopter. my 2013 MS had bearing issues with the motor and had to be replaced. then i destroyed the shaft on another occasion. this doesn't sound like any of those.

I've also had the infamous issues with the MX where the driveline issues with the front suspension. but this doesn't sound like that either.

Very interested in your overall opinion on the comparison between the 19’s and the 21’s as it relates to smoothness of the ride and are the 19’s quieter. Not many people have both tires and can give this kind of opinion I’m trying to decide whether to switch from my 21’s to 19’s. I was pleasantly surprised at how the 21’s have performed but I have always been lead to believe the 19’s would me a smoother and more comfortable ride. Your insight would be very helpful.

I'm betting it's the tires. I brought mine into service center as I noticed this after someone brought it to my attention. I swear sometimes ignorance is bliss. Never noticed it until I was told about it.

Mechanic at the service center said he 100% could confirm the issue but he said to wait & see. He said if it gets worse we can replace axles and whatnot but he wasn't convinced it was them being that it doesn't get worse as speeds increase. Don't shoot the messenger that's just what they told me.

Also, as others said, putting car in medium ride height significantly minimizes that vibration to almost nothing. I wonder if it's the tires because as much as I love my Pilot 4S on every other car the ones that come on the Plaid for whatever reason seem to be crap. Road noise, this vibration, etc.

Very interested in your overall opinion on the comparison between the 19’s and the 21’s as it relates to smoothness of the ride and are the 19’s quieter. Not many people have both tires and can give this kind of opinion I’m trying to decide whether to switch from my 21’s to 19’s. I was pleasantly surprised at how the 21’s have performed but I have always been lead to believe the 19’s would me a smoother and more comfortable ride. Your insight would be very helpful.
I prefer the 21" even though they my version has the rumbling that is happening about 40ish mph. I feel they are both very quiet, much more so than the outgoing models. I had a 2020 MX and 2020 MY and various others before that going back to 2013. These are by far the quietest Tesla's I've ever experienced. I feel for some reason there is more of the bass sound coming from the 19" Pirelli's, not sure if it is the compound or the 19" have more volume of air like a larger drum? But it is more pressure on my ear drum when going over bumps. For that reason, I prefer the 21" more in terms of sound. Differences are very minor. Most will not notice it. It just so happens I drive them back to back and that is what I've notice in terms of "noise". They both ride incredible. I also prefer the sport setting as the comfort bounces around too much.

I do however prefer the 19" when going longer distance as they are more efficient and get another 48 miles of range. I find the sweet spot is definitely 400ish.

I have 19’s and have the vibration bad at the 40 mph range. Tried all the different drive modes and ride heights. All the same. It comes on about 38 mph disappears around 45 mph.
this leads me to believe it is either motor or software as I have both the 19" and 21" and I don't feel anything in the 19" but feel it at the same 40ish mph you do on my 21". I now don't think it is the tread pattern as it requires some mild acceleration to create the vibration. if you manage to keep the speed constant, it doesn't happen. Still analyzing but i think we can rule out some things. I do now agree that it does feel like it is a mismatch between the two motors, out of sync at this speed?

No way it's tires. At 40mph with zero acceleration my Plaid is smooth as butter. When I add the absolute slightest amount of pressure on the accelerator I can clearly feel the vibration. There is no way tires would be the cause of that at such super light throttle pressure.

Fair enough. I guess time will tell. For now I run at medium suspension it calmed it down quite a bit.

Reactions: Jameslook
I prefer the 21" even though they my version has the rumbling that is happening about 40ish mph. I feel they are both very quiet, much more so than the outgoing models. I had a 2020 MX and 2020 MY and various others before that going back to 2013. These are by far the quietest Tesla's I've ever experienced. I feel for some reason there is more of the bass sound coming from the 19" Pirelli's, not sure if it is the compound or the 19" have more volume of air like a larger drum? But it is more pressure on my ear drum when going over bumps. For that reason, I prefer the 21" more in terms of sound. Differences are very minor. Most will not notice it. It just so happens I drive them back to back and that is what I've notice in terms of "noise". They both ride incredible. I also prefer the sport setting as the comfort bounces around too much.

I do however prefer the 19" when going longer distance as they are more efficient and get another 48 miles of range. I find the sweet spot is definitely 400ish.

Thanks, really appreciate your take on both. I’m pretty happy with the 21’s so I’m going to keep them. As for the vibration you guys are talking about. I only feel that when my right side is drifting over the lane line similar to when it’s on autopilot and you drift over into the other lane. So I think mine may be a normal thing.

Yep. Only when I switch lanes at 50mph plus. And it’s never the same spots on the road.
I too get the steering waddle usually when I’m changing lanes, sometimes initiated as I’m going over lane bumps. Somewhere between 40 and 50 mph. They seem to set off a vibration waddle like I’m going over those lane line indentations. Usually lasts just a second or two. It’s like the car is warning me that I’ve run over something. Seems odd and I hope it’s something Tesla can remedy with a software update. BTW, it happens with both my 21 inch Arachnids and 20 inch Signatures Wheels.

I too get the steering waddle usually when I’m changing lanes, sometimes initiated as I’m going over lane bumps. Somewhere between 40 and 50 mph. They seem to set off a vibration waddle like I’m going over those lane line indentations. Usually lasts just a second or two. It’s like the car is warning me that I’ve run over something. Seems odd and I hope it’s something Tesla can remedy with a software update. BTW, it happens with both my 21 inch Arachnids and 20 inch Signatures Wheels.
Sounds like you are describing the lane departure warning? Have you tried turning that off in the settings?

My raven got new updated halfshafts a few weeks ago since then the big shaking is gone but I got very similar symptoms as described here. I will gladly take this and no shaking under hard accel as before... but still not perfect.

It does not always does this. Only when wheels have certain "offset" againt other side is my guess. This makes it happen in a pretty random fashion. and most apparent at around 40 mph feels like a relatively faint motor vibration through steering to me. It is a bit audible also

Is there a chance these new halfshaft the same as plaid?

So I’ve been intently trying to feel anything out of the ordinary. Tried really hard today to cruise at 40 and barely accelerate. Couldn’t feel anything resembling vibration. I have the 19’s for now. I’ll try again when my 21’s arrive.

Yes I can feel it around 40mph with slight acceleration. It's the motor harmonics. Every motor has max vibration pattern at certain rpm. Plaid motors have max vibration at around 40 mph whatever the motor rpm is at that speed. Nothing to worry about. It's like accelerating manual tranny car from lower speed in taller gear.