Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. It must be some kind of alignment issue.
We've the same issue but with TMX 90D. The car has latest driveshafts. No vibration presented. Later, after driven 2k miles, Tesla SC replace air suspension struts and valves (latest hardware version) due to leakage. Replaced all lower and upper arms. Simple speaking: all front suspension parts and driveshafts are new and the latest one. Yes, wheel alignment was carried out and it's perfect. Afterwards, we discovered the same vibration between 38-42 mph vibration like all plaid users!

• Informative
Reactions: Eclipso
We've the same issue but with TMX 90D. The car has latest driveshafts. No vibration presented. Later, after driven 2k miles, Tesla SC replace air suspension struts and valves (latest hardware version) due to leakage. Replaced all lower and upper arms. Simple speaking: all front suspension parts and driveshafts are new and the latest one. Yes, wheel alignment was carried out and it's perfect. Afterwards, we discovered the same vibration between 38-42 mph vibration like all plaid users!
Fascinating! My Plaid‘s front-left upper control arm was also replaced along with the air suspension, and the vibration started right after i picked it up from the repairs. Could it be design defects in the control arms? Or bad units that cause the vibrations? I’m strongly allergic to Tesla service these days so want to avoid it at all costs to prevent them messing up something else and completely unrelated…

Reactions: jebinc and aerodyne
After a couple of weeks of testing and waiting to confirm, I am seeing the vibration issue only occur on my first drive of the day, or first drive after it's been sitting for a while. After that initial first drive, the vibrations sort of dissipate and are no longer present at any levels of acceleration. I've checked it every which way. Current car is Jun 2022 build Plaid. I'm acutely aware of the vibration and had it constantly on my Jul 2021 build Plaid as well that I sold. Had it for the first month on this car as well at a much more noticeable level that made me think the issue had gotten worse rather than getting better.

Everything is stock on my car except wheels and tires. Suspension settings at Auto. I am sort of anticipating that it will show up again suddenly but so far so good. Can't say I did anything at all, so either it is build randomness, software updates, or some partial hardware fix on assembly line?

After a couple of weeks of testing and waiting to confirm, I am seeing the vibration issue only occur on my first drive of the day, or first drive after it's been sitting for a while. After that initial first drive, the vibrations sort of dissipate and are no longer present at any levels of acceleration. I've checked it every which way. Current car is Jun 2022 build Plaid. I'm acutely aware of the vibration and had it constantly on my Jul 2021 build Plaid as well that I sold. Had it for the first month on this car as well at a much more noticeable level that made me think the issue had gotten worse rather than getting better.

Everything is stock on my car except wheels and tires. Suspension settings at Auto. I am sort of anticipating that it will show up again suddenly but so far so good. Can't say I did anything at all, so either it is build randomness, software updates, or some partial hardware fix on assembly line?
My car was built May 29, 2022. For the first few hundred miles I had the startup vibration, but now I just have the 35mph+ vibration. I didn’t have the latter at the beginning of ownership. It sucks.

My car was built May 29, 2022. For the first few hundred miles I had the startup vibration, but now I just have the 35mph+ vibration. I didn’t have the latter at the beginning of ownership. It sucks.
I wonder if it's worth while collecting some more scientific data on these vibrations. I've not used this app but I imagine we can use our phones to capture data. ‎Vibration analysis
Maybe a 0-60 in chill mode with autopilot, on as smooth a road as possible, followed by a 60-0 using just regen?

I wonder if it's worth while collecting some more scientific data on these vibrations. I've not used this app but I imagine we can use our phones to capture data. ‎Vibration analysis
Maybe a 0-60 in chill mode with autopilot, on as smooth a road as possible, followed by a 60-0 using just regen?
I doubt that I’d feel it on a 0-60 run in any mode. This vibration is cruising at 35-50-ish under very slight load.

Was just a suggestion, happy for someone else to mail down the testing criteria and run with this. I don't suffer from the vibration (that I know of) so not really incentivized to follow through with this, but I am happy to provide a datapoint/s

Was just a suggestion, happy for someone else to mail down the testing criteria and run with this. I don't suffer from the vibration (that I know of) so not really incentivized to follow through with this, but I am happy to provide a datapoint/s
I guess that you probably don’t know what you’re looking for, based on the 0 to 60 comment. I’d say once you notice it you cannot unnotice it, so I would walk away from this thread and never look back. 😂

I do not think a passenger would notice unless music was off and windows up and they were very, very specifically looking for it after having experienced it. A passenger doesn't feel anything through pedals, or yoke, of course, which are the main receptors.
Thanks for the input.

The only thing worse than a defect is one that your spouse notices...

Thinking of installing the lowering links from n2itive to dial out the vibration (if possible). For those that have done it is there any tip to removing the stock links without breaking the height sensor?

And did anyone lower and NOT see a vibration improvement?

@jebinc @lbowroom @n2mb_racing
It does require more force than expected to remove and reinstall the stock links. I thought I was going to break something, but didn't. I think I removed the fixed end first, then the end from the sensor. I've used a pair a pliers to help pry them off a bit, while holding the end from the sensor so it isn't damaged. You can also remove them by hand, sometimes.

Also, for me it wasn't a 100% fix, but it was much better. I set my links to 5 mm, which I think works out to about 0.75" lower. Some have said that going a bit lower reduced the vibration even more, but I was already scraping my front everywhere I went with that amount of lowering....

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
It does require more force than expected to remove and reinstall the stock links. I thought I was going to break something, but didn't. I think I removed the fixed end first, then the end from the sensor. I've used a pair a pliers to help pry them off a bit, while holding the end from the sensor so it isn't damaged. You can also remove them by hand, sometimes.

Also, for me it wasn't a 100% fix, but it was much better. I set my links to 5 mm, which I think works out to about 0.75" lower. Some have said that going a bit lower reduced the vibration even more, but I was already scraping my front everywhere I went with that amount of lowering....
That sounds pretty good. Thank you for the info. How did you settle on 5mm? Did you test a number of heights?

Yep, same removal and driving results here as well, save for the scraping. I only dropped my PoS by 3/8-1/2” (3+mm)

@lbowroom