Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking the software would be an unlikely fix since in most cases the vibration is caused by imbalance in rotating components. It can be caused by the motor when its running on say power frequency it wasn't designed for but then all plaids would be having it unless there are certain batches of motors with a problem. Over on Taycan forums, they are replacing front motors to fix the vibration...

Ultimately I suspect they know what it is, but its too expensive to fix so they just punt it until you learn to live with it or force them to do buyback.

I am thinking the software would be an unlikely fix since in most cases the vibration is caused by imbalance in rotating components. It can be caused by the motor when its running on say power frequency it wasn't designed for but then all plaids would be having it unless there are certain batches of motors with a problem. Over on Taycan forums, they are replacing front motors to fix the vibration...

Ultimately I suspect they know what it is, but its too expensive to fix so they just punt it until you learn to live with it or force them to do buyback.
We've known for a long time that software can effectively hide the problem. If you put the car in track mode and rear torque bias the vibration goes away. They are essentially doing something similar in this update most likely. I agree the problem is hardware but I think it can be mitigated with a software fix.

Reactions: jebinc
I took 2023.44.1 on for another short spin. At least for me, the vibration at mid speed under mild acceleration is all but eliminated if not gone completely. It is a nonissue at this point for me. The initial vibration that goes away within a minute after a cold start seems to be reduced at least 50%, but this one was always a bit variable.

My biggest complaint at this point that comes to mind is the relative lack of functionality on the left driver display\screen and lack of customizable "cards" and data. So all in all not much to complain about at this point.

I have noticed via SMT that now rear motors engage under slight acceleration and cruise speed, while front motor is inactive. If i remember correctly, prior to .44 when accelerating and driving slowly only front motor was active. It would be great if anyone on .38 can confirm it.

One thing that worries me is that now i feel vibrations in my steering wheel for some reason. Maybe its because of cold weather and HVAC hitting at max, today is -1C here, motors and battery were in single digit temp...
SMT is a bit buggy on the engine power number for Plaid. I guess in need to be checked on a LR with two motors? It was possibly change on the latest SMNT version but before thaqt the numbers shown was not really usefull.

Anyway, only delivering power to the rear motors will probably induce issues on winter roads (which I have 6 months a year).
Do not sound like a sulotion I would prefer. I went to 4WD vehicles >20 year back, and the change was due to a reason.

Currently away but I can check with SMT when back in the end of the week (currently on 32.9)

Reactions: zivac87
I took 2023.44.1 on for another short spin. At least for me, the vibration at mid speed under mild acceleration is all but eliminated if not gone completely. It is a nonissue at this point for me. The initial vibration that goes away within a minute after a cold start seems to be reduced at least 50%, but this one was always a bit variable.

My biggest complaint at this point that comes to mind is the relative lack of functionality on the left driver display\screen and lack of customizable "cards" and data. So all in all not much to complain about at this point.
This will doubtless be a tough question to answer, given once you know, you know.., but do you think if you weren't aware of the vibration issue between ~37-50mph, would you (and you specifically), as a new driver on 2023.44.1, notice it at all now, moving forward?

Reactions: jebinc
We've known for a long time that software can effectively hide the problem. If you put the car in track mode and rear torque bias the vibration goes away. They are essentially doing something similar in this update most likely. I agree the problem is hardware but I think it can be mitigated with a software fix.
So that means that front motor is the problem. Batch of motors out of spec perhaps?

Reactions: theslimshadyist
This will doubtless be a tough question to answer, given once you know, you know.., but do you think if you weren't aware of the vibration issue between ~37-50mph, would you (and you specifically), as a new driver on 2023.44.1, notice it at all now, moving forward?
I am fairly sensitive to noise and vibration but there's no way as a new driver with 2023.44.1 I would be aware if not for this thread.

Maybe, but if you do not power the motor or redue power to it and vibration disappears and if you power it vibration appears its logical to assume it could be the motor...
Yes, absolutely. I've long thought it's the motor, and evidence suggests it most definitely is. My response is to your point about it being potentially a bad batch. I'm going to say nope, - it's a car-wide issue, which is why all Plaids from 2021-2023 are getting the update.
I am fairly sensitive to noise and vibration but there's no way as a new driver with 2023.44.1 I would be aware if not for this thread.
That's great to hear!

Reactions: jebinc and teko

It’s not a fix, it’s throwing a carpet over the problem. Ha ha ha