Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planned charging not working properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

So since the new update a week or two ago they introduced planned charging.
I think it's a great feature, however...
I've noticed that when I set my time to "be done with charging" 8 in the morning, the car usually has done charging by 6. I don't know if that's by design but it feels off. If I do the math a bit I think it calculates charging the car to 100%, while I usually charge to 80/90%./

That's not really the bad part though. First time I tried it it actually didn't work, I thought I did something wrong and sure enough, next times it did work. Most of the time I check before bed.
Two days ago I checked after midnight and as soon as I opened the app ("waking" the car) it started charging.
Last night however, I left it be and this morning my car was at 50%, not having been charged tonight.

This means I can't trust it so I turned it off. Is this a known issue? I know it's a new update, but having your car charged overnight is one of the most crucial things when owning an EV. I hope they come 'round and fix this, otherwise this "feature" is going to cause unwelcome surprises in the morning for some people.

Works perfectly for us including climate. It does stop at 0600 since it assumes TOU power billing which in California ends at 0600. Hoping for more options soon like removing this limitation and letting you choose the days of the week (not 5 or all).

I’d reboot the car (normal scroll wheel) to see if that helps your situation.

For us on our 3 it reliably starts in the early hours and is done around 0600. Climate conditioning starts about 20 mins before departure.

I think on my S it's just too deep "asleep" to be waken up by the time it needs to, could be something that's different on a 3.

The power billing could be it, but odd as the cars are far from sold just in California.
I thought it would charge to the time you leave, so that you'd have a warmer battery when taking off. If it stops charging 2h before I leave it makes no sense for me to turn it on.
Works perfectly for us including climate. It does stop at 0600 since it assumes TOU power billing which in California ends at 0600. Hoping for more options soon like removing this limitation and letting you choose the days of the week (not 5 or all).

I’d reboot the car (normal scroll wheel) to see if that helps your situation.

For us on our 3 it reliably starts in the early hours and is done around 0600. Climate conditioning starts about 20 mins before departure.

he 6 am TOU thing is either a bug or they hard coded something that makes little sense. TOU times are different in different regions. 6 am is random at best. Southern California Edison had their super off peak tare to 8 am and about half a year ago switched it to exntend well into the morning. Because solar power provides a lot of energy in the morning, the off peak rate goes all the way to noon now.

he 6 am TOU thing is either a bug or they hard coded something that makes little sense. TOU times are different in different regions. 6 am is random at best. Southern California Edison had their super off peak tare to 8 am and about half a year ago switched it to exntend well into the morning. Because solar power provides a lot of energy in the morning, the off peak rate goes all the way to noon now.
Indeed, I can hardly imagine that's the case.
That's why I thought it was a small bug where it calculated backwards from 100%, without taking into account the setting for charge %.
Because I set it to be finished at 7:45, and it finishes at about 6, it would make sense as the last 15% would indeed take about two hours.

I'd have to set it to 10:00 for example to see what happens.

I do understand that it will finish early in general. The car can't predict all conditions. If it gets cold, the battery might need extra energy to be warmed up which results in a longer charge time. But 2 hours early doesn't seem right.

.....First time I tried it it actually didn't work, I thought I did something wrong and sure enough, next times it did work. Most of the time I check before bed.
Two days ago I checked after midnight and as soon as I opened the app ("waking" the car) it started charging.

That is exactly what happened to me also. I had just received the update 2019.36.2.1 and was heading out on a long road trip in a few days, so I set it charge and precondition for a 4:00 AM departure. I woke at about 2:00 AM, rolled over in bed, fired up the Tesla App on my phone, and was disappointed to see the car had not started to charge, even though the app showed a "charging will start at 10:45 PM". As soon as I opened the charging screen, the app said "starting to charge". Needless to say I was disappointed. Can't use it again because I can't trust it to do what it is supposed to do. Tesla needs to slow down and spend 5 minutes before deploying new features. Yes, I have the Advanced software updates box checked. Double-edged sword.....

It is a feature. It is specifically mentioned in the documentation.

Bad choice, yes. But not a bug.

That is exactly what happened to me also. I had just received the update 2019.36.2.1 and was heading out on a long road trip in a few days, so I set it charge and precondition for a 4:00 AM departure. I woke at about 2:00 AM, rolled over in bed, fired up the Tesla App on my phone, and was disappointed to see the car had not started to charge, even though the app showed a "charging will start at 10:45 PM". As soon as I opened the charging screen, the app said "starting to charge". Needless to say I was disappointed. Can't use it again because I can't trust it to do what it is supposed to do. Tesla needs to slow down and spend 5 minutes before deploying new features. Yes, I have the Advanced software updates box checked. Double-edged sword.....
I had the same issues on your release and was updated to 40.1.1 last Friday. My settings are set to 7:00am departure time and 90%. Over the weekend my car would charge every time we would get home from an errand and would also "top-off" randomly during the weekend charging up to 92% and this morning was at 94% and warm at 7:00am but 94% ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Scheduled departure it totally a mess right now.

I had the same issues on your release and was updated to 40.1.1 last Friday. My settings are set to 7:00am departure time and 90%. Over the weekend my car would charge every time we would get home from an errand and would also "top-off" randomly during the weekend charging up to 92% and this morning was at 94% and warm at 7:00am but 94% ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Scheduled departure it totally a mess right now.
Mine initially did that. I set it to "off". Then I rebooted. Then I set scheduled departure and it is working reasonably.

Perhaps just luck. Who knows.

It is a feature. It is specifically mentioned in the documentation.

Bad choice, yes. But not a bug.

When software is so unusable that it.. well, can't be used, I think it is fair to call it a bug rather than a feature.

I recall when software is released where someone finds a problem and reports the bug. They document that problem in the manual and now it's a feature. Not much different.

Hi,

So since the new update a week or two ago they introduced planned charging.
I think it's a great feature, however...
I've noticed that when I set my time to "be done with charging" 8 in the morning, the car usually has done charging by 6. I don't know if that's by design but it feels off. If I do the math a bit I think it calculates charging the car to 100%, while I usually charge to 80/90%./

That's not really the bad part though. First time I tried it it actually didn't work, I thought I did something wrong and sure enough, next times it did work. Most of the time I check before bed.
Last night however, I left it be and this morning my car was at 50%, not having been charged tonight.

This means I can't trust it so I turned it off. Is this a known issue? I know it's a new update, but having your car charged overnight is one of the most crucial things when owning an EV. I hope they come 'round and fix this, otherwise this "feature" is going to cause unwelcome surprises in the morning for some people.

I had every symptom you had. Some seem by design (finish by 6, even though it sounds like about 4% of people actually have time-of-use rates that end at 6 - probably just the lead developer on the feature :) ) and others are just bugs (my car sleeping through its alarm, and also never actually being climate-conditioned at the departure time - it would wake up, charge way too early, and then turn its alarm off and go back to sleep).

I just went back to using the scheduled start time and try to remember to adjust it when I get home each day based upon how much charging I need and when I think I'll leave. And I start the climate by asking Alexa to ask TeslaFi to turn the heat on after I get out of the shower, since the cabin warms/cools very quickly Honestly, all I want is the ability to adjust the scheduled charging start time in the mobile app. I don't even care about the car doing the work for me at this point, but having to go down to my garage at night because I realized I forgot about an early meeting or that I came home with a much lower/higher battery than normal is just way too much work for my level of self entitled privilege :p