Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planned departure ineffective in cold climate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've set my planned departure for 7h30 this morning . Temperature outside was -1C. At set time, yep, temperature in car was 20C but the windshield and rear windows were still frosted! So I activated the defrost but by the time the windows were defrosted, it was now 27C in the car! That's no use! The car should have started the defroster, not the vents. There were no one in the car, no reason to shoot through the vents,

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
the inside temperatur ecant have been 20C for very long is the windows were still frosted. it probably put the preconditioning on too late for whatever reason. not sure if it automatically puts the windshield and rear defroster on if its cold. maybe not.

If you mean when setting up the planning time is Preconditioned toggle is tuned on, yes, it's turned on.

Sorry, I miss read your post. Cabin preheated, but windows still frosted over.

As far as I know, the cabin preconditioning doesn’t activate the defrosters unless they were previously active when you exited the car. Or perhaps it was really humid prior to dropping below 0 (32 in freedom units) and there was more frost than is typical?

I've set my planned departure for 7h30 this morning . Temperature outside was -1C. At set time, yep, temperature in car was 20C but the windshield and rear windows were still frosted! So I activated the defrost but by the time the windows were defrosted, it was now 27C in the car! That's no use! The car should have started the defroster, not the vents. There were no one in the car, no reason to shoot through the vents,
Don't worry, it gets worse.

Don't worry, it gets worse.
Yeah, imagine SNOW! There's going to be SNOW on your windshield and the car won't know about it. How stupid of the car to not know to preheat even earlier.

The car should weigh itself every half hour and check to see if it got heavier due to snow and then blast the preheat just so the car can be all melted by the scheduled departure time.

/s

Yeah, imagine SNOW! There's going to be SNOW on your windshield and the car won't know about it. How stupid of the car to not know to preheat even earlier.

The car should weigh itself every half hour and check to see if it got heavier due to snow and then blast the preheat just so the car can be all melted by the scheduled departure time.

/s

Regarding that. It will be my first winter so I've no clue what to expect but to me, melting the snow off the car means the water will ice over on the driveway, making it a pain to remove later on, no? In a parking lot, fine, it's somebody else problem with big trucks to remove the snow but in my own driveway with my snow blower? Not sure if I'll like that.

/s
You'd be amazed how many legacy automobiles use the amb temp sensor + cabin temp sensor to determine what HVAC strategy to use when remote starting... And I'm not referring to particularly advanced brands either.
Hell, my wife's 2017 Chevy Traverse does this...

• Funny
Reactions: valaeyron
You'd be amazed how many legacy automobiles use the amb temp sensor + cabin temp sensor to determine what HVAC strategy to use when remote starting... And I'm not referring to particularly advanced brands either.
Hell, my wife's 2017 Chevy Traverse does this...
What HVAC strategy? You press the remote start, the car starts and the heat turns on. It slowly ramps down the heat as the cabin reaches the temp that's set in the car.

What other magic does it do?

Reactions: rpiotro
The latest iOS app update adds the ability to customize the shortcuts, and "Defrost Car" is one of the options.
IMG_0136.jpeg

Reactions: MrSlippery