Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic vibration noise inside coming from dash area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They couldn’t duplicate the sound, and so will not open the area up to install padding

They said next time to happens to record the audio, and that would be enough proof to open and figure out where the rattle comes from

I insisted they just open it and pad anyhow, but their policy says no (shrug)

Strangely, after that visit I haven’t heard it much at all

I had the exact same issue and the exact same place as @brandonee916.

I was visiting Las Vegas and saw that the wait times were zero at the LV SC so I figured I'll drop off my car there.

At the SC, they ask you to do a ride along to confirm the noise. Now, right before I arrived the SC, the sound was there. I parked the car outside in the hot sun, went in to confirm the Uber voucher. But when I got in the car again at the SC with the technician to confirm the noise, the noise suddenly went away. This was insane as I've had the rattle for weeks, but suddenly goes away when I need it the most.

Anyways, the sound is completely gone and I don't know why or how it happened. I suspect that being in LV, the hot weather makes things expand in the car and makes the problem go away??

I'm having severe rattling coming from my passenger side dash area.... going back again to the SC since the first repair didn't fix it.

Link to the video I made of it...
I know this thread is pretty old but now but I have a one month old M3SR with the exact same problem as in the video here. Same location same noise.

Seems like quite a few other people have as well. Has Tesla been able to fix this for anyone? Reading that the poster of this video had 4+ service calls with no success is very discouraging.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had this issue for 4 years. My last (4th) attempt at resolution went like this:

Me: Here’s my video.
Technician: Well, I have to hear it in person.
We go for a ride. Technician acknowledges that he hears it.
Technician: Well, it’s not loud enough.

The End.

Having resigned myself to the noise, I’m a happier man.

I know this thread is pretty old but now but I have a one month old M3SR with the exact same problem as in the video here. Same location same noise.

Seems like quite a few other people have as well. Has Tesla been able to fix this for anyone? Reading that the poster of this video had 4+ service calls with no success is very discouraging.
I've shoved some weather stripping and foam batting down next to the VIN plate between the dash cover and windshield. That usually takes care of it and if the sound returns, I make sure the batting/weather stripping is packed in nicely, pressing it with a flat panel-removal tool.

I chased down a dash rattle that turned out to be the screen bracket. The metal mount goes right against the plastic vent air duct. Just posting it here because some day this will help someone. I ended up putting a some foam tape on the mount where it touches the plastic duct. This is the second dash rattle I've had. First one was the mesh speaker grill by the windshield.

PXL_20230806_173414624.jpg

PXL_20230806_173421165~2.jpg

Reactions: SnohoBeav and VT_EE