Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Platform bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a (hitch mounted) platform bike rack that they've added to their model Y? I'm looking for one but am concerned with the hitch being so recessed. I'd like to get one that tilts for lift gate access if possible and that mounts 4 bikes.

One I'm considering is the Kuat NV 2.0 +2. Any other suggestions?

Anyone have a (hitch mounted) platform bike rack that they've added to their model Y? I'm looking for one but am concerned with the hitch being so recessed. I'd like to get one that tilts for lift gate access if possible and that mounts 4 bikes.

One I'm considering is the Kuat NV 2.0 +2. Any other suggestions?

I have the Kuat NV Base 2, getting the Telsa hitch installed in a few weeks. I really like the NV and a lot of the integrated features it has, the pivot worked great getting out of the way on my previous 2019 Rav4 tailgate. The hitch bar is about 19-20" in length so I am not too concerned about it fitting or being in the way. To help you with your research here is the link to the specs. https://www.kuatracks.com/wp-content/uploads/nv-2-fit_guide.pdf. It carries my heavier eMTN Bike with ease. Will post a pic of it when the hitch is installed, but again will be a few weeks out.

Reactions: GauchoBruin
I thought the hitch had a 350 pound tongue weight which i interpreted to vertical weight????

I just put the hitch on to use with my 1upusa and one to carry 3 e bikes so about 230 pounds total....

I was going totally by tongue weight capacity as everything i read seemed to say that is the type of weight it is...

No I’m confused and feel i may have wasted my time putting the hitch on.....

Last edited:
I'll be carrying 1 full size adult bike, a mid size bike for my wife, and two small kids bikes (9 and 5 year olds). I can't imagine it's that much weight but I'll certainly check in to it further.

As previously mentioned, I assumed the weight limit would have been 350lbs but now I guess we need to have that verified.

The two hitches I've been looking at is the kuat NV 2.0 + 2 and the Thule T2 pro XT. Both seem well built and pivot down for rear access.

Since my daughters bike is small, I saw on YouTube that I may need an adapter for the NV, but can't tell if one is needed for the Thule.

I did look at the 1UP but think I kept looking due to it being to modular. Ie buy the base 2 then add 2x1 addition. Also it might be a little close to the bumper for me ... I'd just worried about it making contact on bumpy roads.

Not sure how availability is where you guys are but here in Ottawa (eastern Ontario Canada) availability is very low, almost non existent. I'm going to check out a couple of shops today, but from what I've been told, shelves are bare for any outdoor activity items.

Crap, right from the manual:

"Carrying Accessories The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 lbs (72 kg). When carrying bicycles, skis, or other items on the Model Y hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs (18 kg), the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 60 lbs (27 kg) each, or four items weighing approximately 30 lbs (14 kg) each."

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation
Yea..I’m now bumming...even at 2 bikes I’m at 130 for the bikes plus 45 for the 1upusa double.... so 175 total...

I read on the 1upusa thread the person spoke to 1upusa and they said that if the extension is used then the tongue weight capacity gets cut in half... is it possible the 1upusa is close enough to the hitch so that its more of a tongue weight vs a vertical weight consideration?

Yea..I’m now bumming...even at 2 bikes I’m at 130 for the bikes plus 45 for the 1upusa double.... so 175 total...

I read on the 1upusa thread the person spoke to 1upusa and they said that if the extension is used then the tongue weight capacity gets cut in half... is it possible the 1upusa is close enough to the hitch so that its more of a tongue weight vs a vertical weight consideration?
Well as with all manufacturers, I'm sure they're adding a little buffer in that 160lbs, but I'm not going to be the one to tell you that you 'll be fine.

I need to go out and weigh all my bikes now ... if I go with the NV, I have a max bike weight of 78lbs. Since I have 2 kids bikes and a mid size bike for my wife, I MIGHT be ok ... but I'll have to weigh everything to know for sure. If I'm close but over, I'll use it as an excuse to buy myself a better, lighter bike :).

• Funny
Reactions: ModelX and EVNation
Depending on how far off I am in weight and the cost of a rack ... I'm thinking of maybe just buying a small utility trailer. This way I can carry bikes back there without concern and also use it for other functions when needed. At the end of the day a good rack is the price of a small trailer anyway ...

Ah decisions, decisions.

Depending on how far off I am in weight and the cost of a rack ... I'm thinking of maybe just buying a small utility trailer. This way I can carry bikes back there without concern and also use it for other functions when needed. At the end of the day a good rack is the price of a small trailer anyway ...

Ah decisions, decisions.

That’s a interesting idea...only downside is then you lose autopilot functionality i think as its a trailer.... 1upusa sells there holders to be mounted onto a flat surface also..van design.... I’m thinking of similar concept now

I just did the math. I have 119.2lbs in bikes leaving me 40lbs for the weight of the rack ... and a 40lbs rack will not hold 120lbs of bikes!

So I guess I can either split the load with 2 bikes on the back and 2 bikes on the roof or go with a trailer for multiple purposes ... disappointing but I'm glad I know now and not after a denied warranty claim after my bumper falls off :(

Thank you, everyone, for your info! Super glad I followed this thread as I was also thinking it was the 350lbs limit vs the 160lbs. It would be only my ebike and my pre-teen son's Mtn Bike so have a few LBS to spare. Have the roof rack too so that can always be a backup. Thanks everyone for the ah-ha moment there!

Reactions: Kevin66
Wow, that's really disappointing. I have a 52 pound Kuat on order and was hoping that, once they get back in stock, I could get a two bike add on and bring four bikes. The add on would be 30 pounds, which would bring me to 182 with four 25 pound bikes. Ugh.

Thank you, everyone, for your info! Super glad I followed this thread as I was also thinking it was the 350lbs limit vs the 160lbs. It would be only my ebike and my pre-teen son's Mtn Bike so have a few LBS to spare. Have the roof rack too so that can always be a backup. Thanks everyone for the ah-ha moment there!
Ya certainly an eye opening thread. At this point we've decided to go the trailer route instead of 2 on the back and 2 on the roof. Ah well, as disappointing as it is, it would have been more disappointing to find out after spending 1k on gear I can't use.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Reactions: ModelX
I have a Thule t2 pro which is an amazing carrier...

It carries 2 bikes and has an add-on option which can carry 4 bikes. I’m trying to figure out if the hitch can support this.. but I’m thinking it might be dicey..

Depending on you bike weights, you'll probably go over.

The Thule with 4 bike extension weighs around 90lbs only leaving you <70lbs for 4 bikes. My 1 adult + 1 mid size + 2 kids bikes weigh 120lbs making a bike rack not possible unless I can find one that weighs under 40lbs which ain't gonna happen LOL.