Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Platform bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that was the plan, unfortunately. There are some non-platform hitches that are only 50 pounds however, so I would like to get one of those, but the Thules seem to get bad reviews. Any thoughts?
Ya I have one ... the issue there is the bikes don't fit on it due to various reasons such as my shock is in the way and the kids bikes top and bottom bar are too close to put on.

I just finished my dry run with 4 bikes. Drove 30 miles, climbing up a winding road mountain and down, intentionally had heavy foot on accelerator pedal to push boundaries. It was asphalt but fairly rough road. Last 10 miles was highway, smooth 80mph riding with at times heavy acceleration.

Total of 4 bikes in Kuat NV (not 2.0, previous version). Rack is 82 pounds according to specs and bikes were 29, 28, 19, 18 pounds totaling 176 lb. Not too much more than rated 160 lb, only 10%. My son was watching the bike rack through rear camera as I was driving. Everything was very stable even at turns climbing up and down. Everything came back home in one piece. Rack is as stable as it is when I left. Now off to my longer trip this weekend.

upload_2020-8-3_19-34-20.jpeg

I just finished my dry run with 4 bikes. Drove 30 miles, climbing up a winding road mountain and down, intentionally had heavy foot on accelerator pedal to push boundaries. It was asphalt but fairly rough road. Last 10 miles was highway, smooth 80mph riding with at times heavy acceleration.

Total of 4 bikes in Kuat NV (not 2.0, previous version). Rack is 82 pounds according to specs and bikes were 29, 28, 19, 18 pounds totaling 176 lb. Not too much more than rated 160 lb, only 10%. My son was watching the bike rack through rear camera as I was driving. Everything was very stable even at turns climbing up and down. Everything came back home in one piece. Rack is as stable as it is when I left. Now off to my longer trip this weekend.

View attachment 572189
I'd feel more comfortable only going over by 16lbs. Unfortunately my bikes aren't as light and I'd be over 200lbs (210lbs actually) so I either need to buy new lighter bikes for everyone, or just stop looking LOL.

Just finished my trip with 4 bikes on a platform rack and here is the update.

First off, we only took the road bikes, including an electric road bike. Total rack + 4 bikes weight was 165 lb, only 5 lb above the capacity.

The car was over GVWR capacity though. For Model Y AWD with Tow Hitch, the Payload is 826 lb. This is based on GVWR of 5,302 lb, which suggest the curb weight of the car is 4,447 lb. These figures are all from my own car's labels near the driver door.

Our payload was 930 lb, 104 lb (or 13%) above the car's capacity with 670 lb for 4 people, 165 lb for bike + rack, and 95 lb of cargo. The reason I felt comfortable going beyond capacity is the Gross Axle Weight capacity of Model Y is oddly 25% more than GVWR. This 25% derating is very odd for every other car, including all the other Tesla's, as the norm is GAWR is roughly 0%-5% more than GVWR, but not for Model Y, where GAWR is 6,610 lb, 25% higher than GVWR.

I traveled total 193 miles each way. Climbing from sea level to 7,000ft, and return. The consumption was 475 Wh/mile on my way up and 391 Wh/mile on my way down. I did not try to maximize range or reduce power consumption whatsoever. I was pretty fast, averaging 80-85 on the highways, though my overall speed average was barely 60mph due to traffic at multiple spots. I did not feel the rack or bikes impacting car's handling whatsoever in windy climbs, at times over 80 mph. The rack and the bikes were practically a solid part of the car with no movement whatsoever. Unfortunately, I won't know how much of the high power consumption was due to my spirited driving vs car being beyond full, with an aero drag of 4 bikes and the rack hanging on the back.

Autopilot worked with no problems at all. Perhaps 1/3 of the road, I was on autopilot.

Lastly, I stopped by at a supercharger. With bikes on the back, I was hoping for a relatively empty supercharger so that I can stop orthogonally to the parking slots. The supercharger I stopped had only 4 empty spots out of 14. I thought I was going to need to take the bikes off the rack but one of the charging spot has enough opening on the back that I was able to comfortably park and charge the car without taking the bikes off (picture is below).

All in all, I was very happy with how Model Y handled 4 bikes plus the rack plus all the family and the gear. I've been using this rack with 4 bikes for 5 years now with thousands of miles previously on Land Rover Discovery. I felt equally comfortable in carrying all this gear plus people in Model Y as I was in Discovery, which is a lot to say given Discovery's whopping 1,900 lb payload capacity and Class IV hitch, vs Model Ys 826 lb payload capacity and Class II hitch.

upload_2020-8-10_17-44-27.jpeg

That's great! I still don't have the guts to test my luck.
A question for you, did you have 165lbs in bikes plus the weight of the rack, or 165 including the rack. If the rack was not included in the 165lbs, you're well over the 5lbs.
...First off, we only took the road bikes, including an electric road bike. Total rack + 4 bikes weight was 165 lb, only 5 lb above the capacity...165 lb for bike + rack...

View attachment 574681

I'll be carrying 1 full size adult bike, a mid size bike for my wife, and two small kids bikes (9 and 5 year olds). I can't imagine it's that much weight but I'll certainly check in to it further.

As previously mentioned, I assumed the weight limit would have been 350lbs but now I guess we need to have that verified.

The two hitches I've been looking at is the kuat NV 2.0 + 2 and the Thule T2 pro XT. Both seem well built and pivot down for rear access.

Since my daughters bike is small, I saw on YouTube that I may need an adapter for the NV, but can't tell if one is needed for the Thule.

I did look at the 1UP but think I kept looking due to it being to modular. Ie buy the base 2 then add 2x1 addition. Also it might be a little close to the bumper for me ... I'd just worried about it making contact on bumpy roads.

Not sure how availability is where you guys are but here in Ottawa (eastern Ontario Canada) availability is very low, almost non existent. I'm going to check out a couple of shops today, but from what I've been told, shelves are bare for any outdoor activity items.
Out of curiosity, @ArtK what did you disagree with in this post?

I wanted to post my test results of the hitch system in general with the Model Y, and with the 1upUSA Equipe-D. I will skip the photos. I have photos supporting if needed.

1. Tesla Model Y 165 vertical weight limit for accessories. There is some truth to the limit. Depending on the specific hitch rack, the center of gravity can vary largely. For example, 1upUSA when inserted 1/8” short of the 2” insertion recommendation (the only way it will work before touching the car, in default 700c/29er configuration. Also note that other wheels sizes will not work for the 1st bike position when stowed w/o bikes.) Other carriers top tube mounts hold the bikes far away. For the heavier tray/platform type hitch racks, only 3 bikes meet the Tesla vertical weight limit (Kuat & 1upUSA). The mathematics can be simplified for those not into structural engineering. 1st position 1 bike 1 foot away from hitch = 25 ft-lbs. 2nd position 2 feet away = 50 ft-lbs. Do this for 4 bikes, it is 25 + 50 + 75 + 100 ft-lbs. Simply not including (excluding rack weight for simplicity. If you must know it’s 20 lbs average for rack structure per bike position) the fourth bike position reduces this moment/torque by a whopping 40%!!!. The deflection at the end is a function of the length as well. One could estimate the visible amount of bike movement to be roughly cubic. In other words, a fourth bike is more load, contributes 40% more bending, and is at the end of an ever longer lever/moment arm. The deflection on the end is 40% x 1.x = roughly 50% more deflection witnessed via the rear Dash Cam. All in all the Tesla weight spec governs how much tolerable flex. I did witness this with 188 lbs of load just doing speed bumps in a parking lot.

I then reduced the hitch to carry only 3 bikes. Regardless of this reduction of weight, when on the road (adding deflection in the suspension), it was very clear that cars did not want to follow me closely. 2-3 tractor-trailer distances away. The hitch on the Model Y itself exhibits flex. I inspected the factory hitch it looks stout already, but believe that the stiffness is not enough at the hitch interface. I am confident the Model Y can tow, but the hitch’s ability to take bending loads does not pass my acceptance level. The final straw was 30mph over 15mph speed bumps to a regional park caused wheels on the two of the three bikes to pop off the trays.

2. The Equipe-D is not rated for off-road. Given the vertical deflection, I would avoid the Equipe-D. I believe the wider trays to accommodate fat tire width may be a contributor.

3. Considering rear trunk access is inhibited, I will revert to roof rack systems. I did lose one bike into a garage, so I understand the risk.

4. For platform/tray systems, I recommend a rack that provide a kinematic clamp (at three points) for one wheel and one hold-down for one wheel securing the vertical direction.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ArtK