Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Platform bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a photo of my 1upusa rack on the Y

A few questions for everyone
The rear parking sensors pick up the rack/bikes also the rear camera is obstructed..will that affect autopilot in any way? I’m about to take a 12 hour trip today with the bikes...

I just did a trip. The question is whether to turn on "Trailer mode". Without trailer mode, the MY will complain loudly whenever you back up, since it sense an obstruction right behind you. But even when driving, it shows something right behind you. So I was not comfortable driving without using trailer mode.

With trailer mode, most AP feature are lost. You can still use TACC, but nothing else. Double tapping the stack to go into AP gives an error saying it is temporarily unavailable. I did not try turning trailer mode off, and trying to use AP.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I traveled total 193 miles each way. Climbing from sea level to 7,000ft, and return. The consumption was 475 Wh/mile on my way up and 391 Wh/mile on my way down.

Lastly, I stopped by at a supercharger.

Hmmm, I'm guessing you must have stopped at superchargers in both directions. I believe the MY has a 75 KWh battery or 75,000 Wh. So with at 475 Wh/mile consumption, your range was 75,000/475 = 157 miles, i.e. half the range, and less than the distance to your destination. (Let me know if you think I'm doing this math wrong). Now a good bit of that loss is the climbing up to 7,000ft. But even on your return trip where you should have benefited from the descent, your range was 75,000/391 = 192 miles, still less than your return trip distance. Of course, that assumes a 100% charge. If you only charged 80-90%, you'd be down less than 170 miles.

This was my frustration. I recently took a trip with my wife and with the 1-Up platform rack with two road bikes on it. I lost about 1/3 of my range. Very consistently, every mile I drove, caused my range to decrease by 1.5 miles. So, on a full charge, I had only about a 200 mile range, with only 170 miles on a 85% charge. That's a big hit.

@RckyMtnElectrk
Just got my Kuat Base NV 2.0 rack put together. Did you have any issues with limited space for the hitch pin lock on your Model Y. The space between the receiver and electrical socket makes it nearly impossible to get the pin and lock installed.
View attachment 587645 View attachment 587644

Hey, sorry been off the forum for a little while. My NV 2.0 has a different hitch pin than yours. Wow, the winter this pin was on my Rav4 really did some wear on it as I look at this photo. EDIT: Read on down the forum and was glad to see Kuat offered you an alternative. I really like and trust my Kuat to carry my bikes and had it has been great for two seasons I have had it so far.
IMG_4986.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BManCan
I'm interested in getting a bike rack. When you're not using it, do you take it off and keep it in the garage? Is it easy to remove and put back on? I don't want to have it on all the time (This may be a dumb question)

It's about a 2-5 minute job to remove any rack. Just unlock and unscrew, then pull off. The hardest part is if you decide to use the hitch cover. It's not hard to put back on, but a pain in the butt to get off - needs a redesign.

Reactions: BManCan
It's about a 2-5 minute job to remove any rack. Just unlock and unscrew, then pull off. The hardest part is if you decide to use the hitch cover. It's not hard to put back on, but a pain in the butt to get off - needs a redesign.
Totally agree that the hitch cover needs a redesign. I cannot believe that with all of the innovation and technology on the Model Y, the cover attachment is nearly impossible to remove without breaking the clips.

I use and am happy with this lightweight rack from Saris. Works great for bikes up to 60 lbs each. Rack weighs 27 lbs.

Freedom EX 2-Bike Hitch Rack
I purchased this rack from a local dealer and returned it because I could not get it to fit on the Model Y hitch. There wasn't enough room for the lock with the Brake Light box being so close to the hitch. Are you using it on your Model Y?

Given the limitation of space between the electrical box and the hitch on the Model Y, is there any consensus as to which model bike rack will work on the vehicle? I only want to carry 2 bikes max. Usually just 1. Thanks.

Consensus on this forum, probably not as there are a lot of options out there. For my part, I genuinely think the Kuat is a good option, has great features, looks good, and they support their products...you just might have to get a different hitch pin from them, or Amazon like this one. I have no issues with mine with the electrical box spacing. I only carry two bikes at most and it is super easy (sans the hitch cover) to take on and off. I bought mine from REI during their annual sale and saved 20% off and worst-case REI has a great return policy. Just my 2 cents, and my personal experience.

Given the limitation of space between the electrical box and the hitch on the Model Y, is there any consensus as to which model bike rack will work on the vehicle? I only want to carry 2 bikes max. Usually just 1. Thanks.
The Thule T2 Pro XT gets great reviews and doesn’t have any clearance issues since it has a key lock in the center of the tightening knob rather than using a locking hitch bar. The knob pushes a wedge into the hitch receiver and it can’t be unscrewed when locked.

I still decided to order the Kuat NV 2.0 since I liked the Trail Doc as well as the overall look of the rack, and assume I can use a hitch bar with a front-facing lock.There is a risk that the locking hitch bar can be broken off my thieves, however Thule racks have also been stolen by determined criminals.

Hmmm, I'm guessing you must have stopped at superchargers in both directions. I believe the MY has a 75 KWh battery or 75,000 Wh. So with at 475 Wh/mile consumption, your range was 75,000/475 = 157 miles, i.e. half the range, and less than the distance to your destination. (Let me know if you think I'm doing this math wrong). Now a good bit of that loss is the climbing up to 7,000ft. But even on your return trip where you should have benefited from the descent, your range was 75,000/391 = 192 miles, still less than your return trip distance. Of course, that assumes a 100% charge. If you only charged 80-90%, you'd be down less than 170 miles.

This was my frustration. I recently took a trip with my wife and with the 1-Up platform rack with two road bikes on it. I lost about 1/3 of my range. Very consistently, every mile I drove, caused my range to decrease by 1.5 miles. So, on a full charge, I had only about a 200 mile range, with only 170 miles on a 85% charge. That's a big hit.
On that trip I had a pretty heavy foot, like full acceleration from 60 to 90 many many times. So perhaps not the best data point to understand the impact of bike rack on range. It seems 316 mile range is on flat or gentle rolling roads, 67 mph average speed and gentle acceleration. I don’t have/do any of the three since I got the car, so I don’t expect high range with my driving even without the bike rack.

In your trip, do you think you drove in a way you’d get 316 miles? If so that is a big hit.

I’d love to do an A B test on the same road with similar driving characteristics with and without bike rack to understand the impact of bike rack on the range

FYI - Just tried a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 (two bike version) on the factory 2 inch hitch and worked like a charm holding two road bikes. You get a warning that your proximity sensors are blocked, but I think all platforms will be the same there. Plenty of clearance between the platform and the rear hatch. I have NOT yet tried testing clearance between the the platform and the bottom of any steep driveways, but plenty of clearance for my moderate driveway ramp.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I just got my Thule EzFold XT2. Easy to install. no pin issue, since the pin is connected and snaps in. Lots of clearance.
Here are some pictures:
20201001_233638148_iOS.jpg
20201001_233708249_iOS.jpg
20201001_233755113_iOS.jpg
20201001_233813676_iOS.jpg
20201001_234003463_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20201001_234310866_iOS.jpg
    20201001_234310866_iOS.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited: