Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

please help: Front door latch just failed have to drive 400 miles in AM with latch warning beeping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on my issue - the door magically fixed itself today. I didn't call tesla, and didn't do any more reset tricks other than what I did yesterday when it first broke. I just charged the car overnight this mornnig it seems the door worked again.

Not sure if I'm happy or sad about this though. I would kind of like a consistent failure to make it easier for the technicians to diagnose when I bring it in.
I'm beginning to wonder if one of the first things people should try before anything else is to shutdown the X and power it back up in 10-15 minutes later. If these are software issues it could be something like a memory or buffer problem.

I'm beginning to wonder if one of the first things people should try before anything else is to shutdown the X and power it back up in 10-15 minutes later. If these are software issues it could be something like a memory or buffer problem.

Me: "My X is misbehaving"
Tesla Tech: "Did you turn it off and turn it back on again"?

What??? I thought you have no door problems at all, just the truck rattling? No? You freaked me out!

Sometimes (happened 3 times) the passenger door does not want to close from the touchscreen, the door stops a couple inches from the closed position so I have to manually close it. It began after my car got detailed this weekend because of the vandalism.

I have an SC appointment to fix that annoying rattle sound from the rear hatch so I will have them look into this. Also, I got a couple of missing screws that I noticed underneath the car next to the hitch.

The door is not really an issue, the issue is that rattle sound!! Also, road noise in general seems to be 5-8% higher than my Acura on the freeway, and same goes with ride quality (shocking!!!) should I mention this???

This will be my 2nd SC appointing since Tesla did not resolve the rattle sound issue in the first appointment even though they said they did

Sometimes (happened 3 times) the passenger door does not want to close from the touchscreen, the door stops a couple inches from the closed position so I have to manually close it. It began after my car got detailed this weekend because of the vandalism.

I have an SC appointment to fix that annoying rattle sound from the rear hatch so I will have them look into this. Also, I got a couple of missing screws that I noticed underneath the car next to the hitch.

The door is not really an issue, the issue is that rattle sound!! Also, road noise in general seems to be 5-8% higher than my Acura on the freeway, and same goes with ride quality (shocking!!!) should I mention this???

This will be my 2nd SC appointing since Tesla did not resolve the rattle sound issue in the first appointment even though they said they did

I c. I really hope Tesla put an end to the door issue. There are generally these big issues that needs to be completely fixed:
1. Doors
2. Windows
3. Alignments
Those are general areas Tesla really need to focus on.

Hope you get your rattling part fixed, and doors also.

My passenger latch just failed too. My build date is May but not sure exactly what date. Even though I have an early vin 30xx, I'm pretty sure my build date is after @Pjjava34 because I have a fixed spoiler. So definitely still a lot of of build quality issues with the May deliveries.

Yes I've tried the reset techique and it didn't help. I'll have to hope there's an SC appointment available on Monday, they've been booking out 2-3 weeks around here...

Update on my issue. The service center said my latch hardware was failing and needed to be replaced. So for people who are experiencing the same issue as me I'm not sure I buy the fact that this is a software only issue and can be fixed with a door reset. Especially given the fact that a few people have reported having the issue reoccur after the SC does a door reset.

I wish they would have preemptively replaced the drivers side door latch for me as well so I don't always have to have this feeling of not knowing when it's going to fail in the most awkward of places.

Reactions: EV Family
Bought a Model X, delivered a week ago. VIN 56XX, so pretty well into production run. 4 days after delivery (200 miles driven, or less), driver's door won't latch shut. Loaded on flatbed, replaced with a Model S P85 (which is amazing). $106K and a latch that won't shut renders the car useless.

I had a latch problem with just a 100mi on my X. Interestingly, the tech said it has to do with condensation getting into the latch mechanism. Makes sense in my case because I was washing my car and the driver's side door failed to latch.

I have a recent VIN, 7xxx so I thought I had the newest latches.

Anyone else have the correlation between the car being wet and the latch failing?

Sorry to hear this. I'd hope they move you to the front of the line to resolve the issue considering it can be deemed a safety concern not to mention the annoying chime.
maybe i missed the post in here,, any update on you door problem ? is it fixed for good ? same thing just happened to my x today..yes,, and it happened while i was showing the car to a good friend .. so not a good timing..
anyway, with summer trips coming up , im wondering how many days needed to get this fix ? will sc sent some one to me or i need to drop off the car ? thank you

Just picked my X back up after my replaced latch arrived from the factory last night.
Had a very candid discussion with several SC advisors who were both extremely knowledgable and open about my latch concern. They said that the reason they don't keep Latches on a shelf is because it is extremely rare for them to malfunction. He estimated of the 75-100 X's they've delivered this year at that store that mine was the 5th one that had to get a latch replaced. He also said that almost every other latch issue has been corrected with a system reset (which they do internally as the first step to correct the issue). That only worked for me until I got home last week and the latch again failed to open.

He also said the engineers in CA want to know every detail about when/how/ what owners were doing whe the latches first failed.
Each latch is ordered by vin number and the car associated with it is then monitored for such a malfunction moving forward.
Again he said mine was the 5th in about 100 deliveries. ...

Just to clarify, did the SC advisors say the latch issues affected 5 out of 100 drivers - or that they'd replaced the latch for 5 out of 100?

If the latter, I wonder what the figure of latch issues solved with software resets or other means might be - especially if they were extremely knowledgeable about them? Could be a significantly higher number than rare latch replacements they seem somewhat reluctant to do, no?

maybe i missed the post in here,, any update on you door problem ? is it fixed for good ? same thing just happened to my x today..yes,, and it happened while i was showing the car to a good friend .. so not a good timing..
anyway, with summer trips coming up , im wondering how many days needed to get this fix ? will sc sent some one to me or i need to drop off the car ? thank you

Yes it seems like these door latches always break in the most embarrassing moments.

In my case it took one day to get the latch fixed. I think this was because they already had the part in stock at my SC though. I also live very close to the SC here so I just brought the car in and they gave me a loaner for the day.

Yes it seems like these door latches always break in the most embarrassing moments.

In my case it took one day to get the latch fixed. I think this was because they already had the part in stock at my SC though. I also live very close to the SC here so I just brought the car in and they gave me a loaner for the day.
thank you

thank you so much,, on my way to SC , they wont tell me how long to get it done,, need to see the car first,, ,,, i guess my 6 weeks honey moon with mx is over .. this kind of cast shadow in my mind,, from now on when i showing or help Tesla promote MX ,, or even just going out some where ,,, maybe i have to pray first..lol

• Funny
Reactions: srini
My vin 75xx driver's door latch just failed this morning. Went to get in the car to go to work and door would not open. I could open it from the inside latch but not the outside one or the key fob or the app. If I manually close it, it latches with about 5 mm of door offset from the outside.

I tried all the reset stuff and then called the service hotline and did all their stuff but no change. Now have to get the latch replaced. Sadly it is 400 km to Vancouver so have likely have to pay the transport for the tech to come out or else take a day off to drive there.

Just posting this in case our MXs start to have latch problems beyond the initial run. Have had mine for 6 months with trivial issues aside from front half shaft replacement for the acceleration judder (much better now).