Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

please help: Front door latch just failed have to drive 400 miles in AM with latch warning beeping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to take slight issue with this statement as the owner of both. The S won Car of the Year awards, highest rated car in many categories for many leading publications, etc. It is an awesome car in it's own class electric or not, I would say - and I think the automotive press is on the record agreeing with this statement..

Except of course if one cares about reliability.
Things like the car not having "little" problems after delivery like the pano roof. For the X it seems like "little" things like having doors that reliably close may impact its reliability rating.

Reactions: Coolcarx
My passenger latch just failed too. My build date is May but not sure exactly what date. Even though I have an early vin 30xx, I'm pretty sure my build date is after @Pjjava34 because I have a fixed spoiler. So definitely still a lot of of build quality issues with the May deliveries.

Yes I've tried the reset techique and it didn't help. I'll have to hope there's an SC appointment available on Monday, they've been booking out 2-3 weeks around here...

My passenger latch just failed too. My build date is May but not sure exactly what date. Even though I have an early vin 30xx, I'm pretty sure my build date is after @Pjjava34 because I have a fixed spoiler. So definitely still a lot of of build quality issues with the May deliveries.

Yes I've tried the reset techique and it didn't help. I'll have to hope there's an SC appointment available on Monday, they've been booking out 2-3 weeks around here...
Sorry to hear this. I'd hope they move you to the front of the line to resolve the issue considering it can be deemed a safety concern not to mention the annoying chime.

Reactions: chloedog
Sorry to hear this. I'd hope they move you to the front of the line to resolve the issue considering it can be deemed a safety concern not to mention the annoying chime.

Yeah I'm hoping that on Monday I can at least go in for the quick technicians reset that they tried with you at first.

My latch might not be in as bad shape as yours. When I open the door I can hear the motor on the door constantly working as if it keeps trying to latch it closed but it can never properly close.

But if I press the door close button from the touchscreen maybe like 5 or 10 times it will finally close.

Timing is never great with these things though as I have a small 200 mile road trip planned for Monday :-(.

And it was kind of embarrassing since it first happened as I was picking up some relatives visiting from the airport and they were excited to see this car I had been talking about for years. And then the airport police came over to ask us to move the car away from the pickup line since we were already loaded and I had to explain to him I didn't know how to close the door. Then a crowd of people on the curb that were waiting around for pickup kept staring at me wondering why my car door was constantly swinging open and closed. Hahah. Not a good look for tesla :-(.

Yeah I'm hoping that on Monday I can at least go in for the quick technicians reset that they tried with you at first.

My latch might not be in as bad shape as yours. When I open the door I can hear the motor on the door constantly working as if it keeps trying to latch it closed but it can never properly close.

But if I press the door close button from the touchscreen maybe like 5 or 10 times it will finally close.

Timing is never great with these things though as I have a small 200 mile road trip planned for Monday :-(.

And it was kind of embarrassing since it first happened as I was picking up some relatives visiting from the airport and they were excited to see this car I had been talking about for years. And then the airport police came over to ask us to move the car away from the pickup line since we were already loaded and I had to explain to him I didn't know how to close the door. Then a crowd of people on the curb that were waiting around for pickup kept staring at me wondering why my car door was constantly swinging open and closed. Hahah. Not a good look for tesla :-(.
Wow. I totally know how you feel as far the embarrassment as I had the same multi year build up to the car so as you said definitely not a good look for us and for tesla.

Yeah my motor was working initially until I played around with it and followed reset techniques then it finally just shut off.
The service center reset (takes 5 min) supposedly fixes it 95% of the time but as you might have read here by the time I took it home and tried to open the door again after the reset it was clear I was in the 5% and needed a new latch.

Anyone know what we have to avoid to workaround the issue? Is it better to use the auto close door ? Is it happening when we manually close or slam the door?

I have a rear-facing child and my wife sits in the back seat with him. So the passenger seat is always empty. This might have literally been only the 3rd or 4th time I even opened that door since taking delivery. In my case it broke when I used the touchscreen for the first time to open the door for a passenger to get in. However, like I said I hadn't used this door much so it might have been just coincidence that I happened to use the touchscreen for the first time and it broke.

Wow, don't they test these units before releasing the vehicles to the public? Isn't it normal procedure to put often-used and/or critical components through durability and reliability workouts? In this case, something like repeated opening and closing might have disclosed any issues, SW or HW.
Indeed. I've brought this up numerous times in these Model X door problem threads and even bumped it via automotive reliability and durability testing.

From the problem reports here on not very old vehicles, it seems pretty likely (in my book) that if you took random samples off the Model X line and subjected all 4 doors to 84K open/close cycles each that none would pass.

Oddly (?), that thread has just been crickets. Surely, there's other interesting publicly available info on what automakers typically do in terms of durability and reliability testing. Nobody cares to contribute there?

It'll be even more interesting as more Model X end up in the field in where they're parked on steep inclines (e.g. parts of city of SF or Seattle) and exposed to gusty winds and extreme heat and cold, esp. the cold and icy conditions.

Back in the days when I wrote code to control complex computer systems with state of the art hardware I observed that a lot of issues that manifested as hardware issues to the user were indeed software related. The key to solving the issue was to figure out what sequence of events got the software into that state. Easier said than done. A hard reset would kind of get the whole system to a starting state and hence make the issue go away till it gets back from to the goofy state. Reading through the posts here it seems like TM engineers may not have been able to identify clearly the sequence(s) that gets the latch to not engage properly. My opinion is that this might as well be a software fix in the near future and a solid reminder that software only gets stable by standing on the shoulders of users who wittingly or unwittingly uncover problems.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

This isn't nearly as complex a mechanism, but I know a lot of us were having proximity sensor "false alerts" early one. A software update appears to have fixed that, because I don't see anyone complaining anymore. I never had my sensors replaced, but had a lot of issues early on.

Update on my issue - the door magically fixed itself today. I didn't call tesla, and didn't do any more reset tricks other than what I did yesterday when it first broke. I just charged the car overnight this mornnig it seems the door worked again.

Not sure if I'm happy or sad about this though. I would kind of like a consistent failure to make it easier for the technicians to diagnose when I bring it in.

Update on my issue - the door magically fixed itself today. I didn't call tesla, and didn't do any more reset tricks other than what I did yesterday when it first broke. I just charged the car overnight this mornnig it seems the door worked again.

Not sure if I'm happy or sad about this though. I would kind of like a consistent failure to make it easier for the technicians to diagnose when I bring it in.
Very interesting. Glad you can make your 200 mile road trip without the latch chime if you choose to take the X!

I have noticed, that if you accidentally trip the front of the FOB while parked, the frunk will pop up an inch but sit there, if left the latch re-locks and the hood is left locked but loose. Close the hood slowly and reconnect, then it will unlock as soon as the front button on the fob is pressed again. Lift and put in/take out materials stored there, and then gently close again. Be sure not to apply too much pressure further up the hood as it may deform the curved metal, use the bar inside the front of the hood to gently lock it back down into second place.

Hopefully this may resolve any issue you are having with AutoSteering/TACC as well as allow you to unlock it if accidentally propped up in this manner. The hood won't fly away, but it will disable the ability to engage autopilot (I believe as a safety mechanism).

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
VIN 13XX late March delivery.

Some door latch was replaced pre-delivery. Not sure which one.

Three failures since then where door works mechanically, but does not open with screen, exterior button, or Fob. Driver's side door 2x and passenger door 1x. Each time SC performed reset in 15 min and it fixed it. Latest one yesterday. Said it is not possible for user to reset/recal.