Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help: frunk flew open on highway, bent hood, and smashed windshield. Tesla refusing to repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model x frunk flew open as I was driving, hood all bent now, smashed my windshield. Please help me get this to the right people so Tesla can fix this. They are refusing to fix this.

I am an owner of a 2017 Tesla model X. I was driving my model x with my pregnant wife and toddler on a 2 way road when all the sudden the front hood spontaneously flew open and smashed the windshield. I had zero visibility and this is very scary for us. We could have all been severely injured. Tesla reviewed the car log and said we had now warnings that the front hood was ever open. The notification alerted us milliseconds before the front hood flew up and smashed our windshield. The hood is now completely bent. This is a huge safety issue. Tesla said the front hood latch malfunction and that this is normal wear and tear. I don’t agree since I don’t think any car should have the hood fly open like that on the highway. They are refusing to repair and I am hoping you can bring some media attention to this so they can fix this issue.

Reactions: xavl123
IMG_8598.png
My model x frunk flew open as I was driving, hood all bent now, smashed my windshield. Please help me get this to the right people so Tesla can fix this. They are refusing to fix this.

I am an owner of a 2017 Tesla model X. I was driving my model x with my pregnant wife and toddler on a 2 way road when all the sudden the front hood spontaneously flew open and smashed the windshield. I had zero visibility and this is very scary for us. We could have all been severely injured. Tesla reviewed the car log and said we had now warnings that the front hood was ever open. The notification alerted us milliseconds before the front hood flew up and smashed our windshield. The hood is now completely bent. This is a huge safety issue. Tesla said the front hood latch malfunction and that this is normal wear and tear. I don’t agree since I don’t think any car should have the hood fly open like that on the highway. They are refusing to repair and I am hoping you can bring some media attention to this so they can fix this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_8600.png
    IMG_8600.png
    724.6 KB · Views: 18
Not sure if this applies but you may want to contact the NTSB. I would imagine the latch mechanism on the S and X are pretty similar. My car was part of the recall but they checked it at the SC and found the latch to be mounted properly.

Not sure if this applies but you may want to contact the NTSB. I would imagine the latch mechanism on the S and X are pretty similar. My car was part of the recall but they checked it at the SC and found the latch to be mounted properly.

Great idea!

They only goodwill and replace the latch. But they do not want to fix any body parts or the windshield that was damaged as a result of the failed latch. When the car is in motion, you can not physically press the open frunk from the screen. We never press the open frunk while it was driving. 10 mins into my drive, the hood flew open abruptly and violently. Service center is refusing to fix anything even after talking to the manager. Don’t really want to go through lawyer but seems like I have to. Any recommendations?

They only goodwill and replace the latch.

Yes, car is out of warranty. This is a 2017 model x

Be realistic here, it's out of warrantee. Free warrantee repairs typically stop when the warrantee expiries. You could have purchased an extended warrantee, but didn't.

I'm surprised they'll replace the latch for free.

• Disagree
Reactions: TespaceX
Be realistic here, it's out of warrantee. Free warrantee repairs typically stop when the warrantee expiries. You could have purchased an extended warrantee, but didn't.

I'm surprised they'll replace the latch for free.
isn’t this a big safety issue. Cars from 2017 shouldn’t be expected to have the hood fly open abruptly and violently while driving on the highway. The impact was so forceful and I lost total visibility in the front. I could have easily swerved into oncoming traffic.

Cars from 2017 shouldn’t be expected to have the hood fly open abruptly and violently while driving on the highway.

It could be that it wasn't properly latched after the last time it was opened, or that the latch just failed. (Things do fail.)

Just do a search on "hood flew open" and you will find tons of reports from all kinds of vehicles. Jeeps, Fords, Subarus, Honda, Acura, Toyota, etc.

You can always make a NHTSA report for the incident, and if they see a pattern of failures they would likely open an investigation.

isn’t this a big safety issue. Cars from 2017 shouldn’t be expected to have the hood fly open abruptly and violently while driving on the highway. The impact was so forceful and I lost total visibility in the front. I could have easily swerved into oncoming traffic.
Sorry it happened to you, but the car is 7 years old. Expecting a lifetime warrantee on and automobile is asking a lot, you may want to report your incident to the The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If it's a fleet wide issue, I'd expect a recall.

It is a poor design IMHO, all other car's I've owned had a secondary latch on the front hood/lid/frunk/bonnet.

It is a poor design IMHO, all other car's I've owned had a secondary latch on the front hood/lid/frunk/bonnet.
My understanding is that there is a secondary latch, as required by regulations, it is just that using the open button releases both of them. (Though I think the secondary is supposed to re-latch after a period of time if you don't actually open the hood, though I'm not sure about that.)

My understanding is that there is a secondary latch, as required by regulations, it is just that using the open button releases both of them. (Though I think the secondary is supposed to re-latch after a period of time if you don't actually open the hood, though I'm not sure about that.)
I believe you are right on all your points except the re-latch if you don't close the hood after a period of time. I have had the hood unlatched but resting on the latch overnight and it never re-latched.

I meant to say to contact the NHTSA :). I was sick with the flu when I wrote my original reply and wasn't thinking clearly although I guess a Tesla could be considered an aircraft given how much of a rocket it is LOL.

Doesn't matter if it's a potential safety issue. If there is no recall, the manufacturer is not under any obligation to help you repair it if it is out of warranty. Any part in a car can potentially wear out and cause a serious accident, you can't expect the manufacturer to cover the car forever (the time delimiter is the warranty).

As others mentioned, you can report it to the NHTSA and if they find a pattern of a manufacturer defect, they may issue a recall. If it's just wear and tear or it's just a freak incident, then you are out of luck.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I believe you are right on all your points except the re-latch if you don't close the hood after a period of time. I have had the hood unlatched but resting on the latch overnight and it never re-latched.
Mine (2017) definitely re-latches if I don't open it. I still need to press down to get the second latch and clear the warning light, too, so it's not like mine happens to be stuck down. Perhaps yours popped past the point where re-latching would secure it?

ETA: Another possibility, which might be classified as a bug / might not follow regulation if it is correct: perhaps it only re-latches when the doors lock and you have auto-lock disabled at home?