Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please improve Blind Post detection/warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey love the MX had it for over 3 months now. One issue we have however on our daily commute, is the blind spot detection.

Yes I get that there is a "visual" warning on the dashboard specifically on the back right or back left doors are. However in practicality one is looking at the road or the mirrors when driving. Since there is no light that appears in the side mirrors in any fashion, like most luxury cars these days, I believe it would be much better to have some sort of different pitched sound when a car is detected when trying to switch lanes.

Yes many people say you should be on auto-pilot, but I think for general safety their should be more of an audible or practical visual warning for blind spot detection. I believe its important and a must have in terms of safety for all vehicles now. I wish the gov would make it a law actually.

I hope Tesla can work on improving this small but very important safety feature. I don't believe side collision avoidance is enough to help warn the driver, as cars can appear out of no where going at all different speeds.

What do you guys think and find?
Thanks
V

Agree, but biggest issue is the tech they're using here. The ultrasonic sensors are not good at higher speeds and don't best practice for BSM. They should be using radar.

Agreed that rear radar is the way to go.

The E-Class uses "two lateral, rear-facing radar sensors to monitor the area up to 130 feet behind your vehicle and up to 10 feet next to your vehicle."

Besides the aural and visual warnings you get, the system will also give a course-correcting brake application to keep you from hitting a vehicle. This occurs whether or not their version of Autopilot is on.

• Informative
Reactions: KaiserSoze
If you adjust your side mirrors out to aim into the blind spot, there won't be one.

We keep our mirrors such that the inside of the field is aimed parallel to the side of the car, and the outside of the field winds up being just beside you. When a car moves out of the field of your rear view mirror, it's in the side view, and when it moves forward of that, it's beside you where you can see it. If you are concerned about the area between the side of your car and the inside edge of the mirror's field, it's less than a foot wide, so not much can fit into it.

And yes, that means you can't see the side of your own car, but trust me, it's still there!

If you adjust your side mirrors out to aim into the blind spot, there won't be one.

We keep our mirrors such that the inside of the field is aimed parallel to the side of the car, and the outside of the field winds up being just beside you. When a car moves out of the field of your rear view mirror, it's in the side view, and when it moves forward of that, it's beside you where you can see it. If you are concerned about the area between the side of your car and the inside edge of the mirror's field, it's less than a foot wide, so not much can fit into it.

And yes, that means you can't see the side of your own car, but trust me, it's still there!

The added benefit of lateral facing rear radars is you also get the cross traffic function.

For example, when backing out of a parking spot between two taller vehicles, the radars scan each way down the aisle and can warn of traffic that is not visible to the driver, no matter how their mirrors are adjusted.

I have my mirrors adjusted accordingly, my point was just if you're going to have BSM and say you've got great tech, then do it the right way. No other car I am aware of uses only US sensors for its BSM. One place where Tesla is actually low tech - like ten years old.

BSM is for monitoring not for adjusting your mirros so you can see your blind spot. In that case why does any car have BSM if they can just point the mirrors outward. This technology is not new, and something that Tesla should have built upon, not start from scratch on.

Point mirrors out and saying its fine imo does not resolve something that is just poorly designed/thought of/implemented in the car. This is a requirement that Tesla clearly has looked over and not prioritized properly. Which I believe given the stress on safety that Tesla brings to the table should have delivered something much better.

We didn't pay 100K plus to point our mirrors out for BSM...come on.

Reactions: Blastphemy

The mirror adjustments are good but have you seen the rear view from the inside mirror in a Model X. You really can't see much behind you. The side radars would be cool though.

The added benefit of lateral facing rear radars is you also get the cross traffic function.

For example, when backing out of a parking spot between two taller vehicles, the radars scan each way down the aisle and can warn of traffic that is not visible to the driver, no matter how their mirrors are adjusted.

I was happily surprised that you can almost look around the corner with the rear view camera. The extreme wide angle view when driving out of a parking spot lets you see past the cars beside you as soon as the backend clears them by a couple inches.

Seriously! My 2010 Ford Fusion has blind spot monitoring. VERY surprised that Tesla doesn't have something on the mirrors.
Did I see though that there was an "upgrade" coming? Hardware? Software? Either way, BSM needs to be a part of every Tesla vehicle.

Perhaps it was because they designed the Model X not to have side mirrors (see original prototype) :)

Hey love the MX had it for over 3 months now. One issue we have however on our daily commute, is the blind spot detection.

Yes I get that there is a "visual" warning on the dashboard specifically on the back right or back left doors are. However in practicality one is looking at the road or the mirrors when driving. Since there is no light that appears in the side mirrors in any fashion, like most luxury cars these days, I believe it would be much better to have some sort of different pitched sound when a car is detected when trying to switch lanes.

Yes many people say you should be on auto-pilot, but I think for general safety their should be more of an audible or practical visual warning for blind spot detection. I believe its important and a must have in terms of safety for all vehicles now. I wish the gov would make it a law actually.

I hope Tesla can work on improving this small but very important safety feature. I don't believe side collision avoidance is enough to help warn the driver, as cars can appear out of no where going at all different speeds.

What do you guys think and find?
Thanks
V

I totally agree. Blind spot issues should not be a factor in establishing the safety of tesla's cars.
Eduair

I agree with everyone here. I didn't realize there weren't indicators on the window sills like many many other cars have. Understand it shows on the dash, but as others have stated I'm not looking down when I am trying to turn left or right. Pretty disappointed this is missing and am too hoping for some sort of update to the capability.

Reactions: Blastphemy