Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please! Talk me out of MX Plaid !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<$100K for a 1000+ HP vehicle that does 0-60 in 2.5s with 330 mile range is an absolute bargain.

Get the Plaid.
Above is the rationale i see from "most" people getting the Plaid.

Also, Plaid has 6 seats.

If one (really) needs 6 seats, which i do not (again, i value the fold down more), then the price difference comes down from being $15K to $9K. $15K is still $15K, and $6K is $6K. No chump change by any mean.

Where can i get a 2.5 sec car in my lifetime for under $100K?

Not likely in a ICE.

And in EV, it's Tesla or bust. The (aggressive) software update is what sold me to Tesla 60% of the way. The remaining 40% is everything else.

Fit and finish, out of spec, my OCD will act up, but, time for change, perhaps.

Also i do have an ulterior motive, which is, we are getting EV to replace the aging family mover 2002 Odyssey. And Odyssey being the wife's ride, that makes MX being her ride as well. But she do like the X3. Hence the deal i'm hoping to make is, give me the MX(P) and she gets the X3. :) Hence i do (really) want MXP. The wife? She can careless about the 0-60. Women... can never figure them out...

Also i do have an ulterior motive, which is, we are getting EV to replace the aging family mover 2002 Odyssey. And Odyssey being the wife's ride, that makes MX being her ride as well. But she do like the X3. Hence the deal i'm hoping to make is, give me the MX(P) and she gets the X3. :) Hence i do (really) want MXP. The wife? She can careless about the 0-60.
My wife loves her X3 (though our kids prefer my Model Y!)

My wife loves her X3 (though our kids prefer my Model Y!)
Model Y LR, would have been a descent replacement of our X3. That "may" happen sooner than later with current pricing though. :)

Would i get Model Y Performance? ~99.9% unlikely, the spec'ed range, that's just not good.

And we (family) love to take road trips. Hopefully MX will be a good for that. And we like taking regular breaks (getting there is half the fun, right, and discovering along the way), so EV recharge at the stations is perfect for this family.

Don’t do it: you’ll still be making extremely high car payments on a car out of warranty. If you can’t pay off the car within the factory warranty you shouldn’t do it. You end up servicing a loan while handling repair costs.
Yeah, i tried the 48 months scenario, and that will be bit challenging.

5 years is what i was planning.

So yes, i have that last year of payment that "will be" risky.

Damn you, stop putting thoughts in my head !!! :)

If anything, then on the X3, i had 4 years loan. And BMW only gives 3 years bumper to bumper. Maybe i lucked out there.

OP - YOLO. 😂

Sorry, TLDR. YOLO 💪

Cars like plaids are rarely sensible, logical buys. They are emotional buys, vanity buys, egoistic buys, or any other word you want to describe it as 😁

Glad you are in a position to make these decisions. It’s your hard earned money. Just do it. YOLO 😂

All jokes aside, good luck with the next purchase!!!

Reactions: MSLR2023ULTRED
Okay, okay. Damn you Tesla !

This is my plan of attack:

MXP, all black interior (at least i'll have some satisfaction that i saved $2,000, lol)
Stealth Grey <<------ the boss (aka. wife) can't stand any other color, and here, i'm talking Plaid as a daily driver for the wife, what a joke...
20" wheel
Steering wheel

(i would prefer 5 seats with fold down, no need for 6 seats, but +1 could come handy, but without complete fold down, yeah, that sucks, hopefully the 0-60 can make up for that, haha...)

(with Tesla and non-Tesla fees included)
Downpayment of $47,000
Loan amount of $52,304
Local credit union rate of 5.99%
Term of 60 months
Monthly payment of $1,011.29 (i can live with that, lol) <<------- MX would be at around $600'ish.

And did allocate ~$3,000 for the accessories, tint, ceramic coating and ppf's... regardless of MX or MXP purchase.

I "may have" gone for the lease, but the fine print that says, i don't get to keep it afterwards, yeah, that sucks... I'm ~60 years old, and i'm not a car hopping person every so many years... I buy to keep.

Dam you Tesla !

Incidentally, my coworker has Model S P100D, and hoping i can keep up with him in MXP...

Damn you Tesla !
the face that you're ~60 y/o and able to take the pull of the plaid, that'll all the reason you need to pull the trigger

Reactions: ev919
I was in the same boat and said “F IT” and bought the Plaid. I wanted towing and 6 seats anyways so it was an easier decision. The tough part was they had a blue one in inventory that was exactly what I wanted, except I wanted red. So now I wait.

The tough part was they had a blue one in inventory that was exactly what I wanted, except I wanted red. So now I wait.
For me, at the moment, the Raleigh Tesla has the ~90% match to wnat i'm looking for except for the interior is Cream, when Black is what i'm going for. :(

Also test fit the MX in the garage (damn you NC, with 2 car garages !!!), and sigh of relief...

1713475027958.png

Incidentally, would adding armrests on these captain chairs set the world on fire,,, sigh...

Our family mover 2002 Odyssey has not 1 but "2" armrests on "each" captain seats.

1713475110147.png

How does a guy go from a 02 honda odyssey to a MXP. Man, that jump is not just a little. Only thing I want to point out is that, MXP is just a quicker 0-60 family hauling daily. You probably will get tired of the launch after a while. If you want something special, fun and value holding. I would say go for a real sports car like 911 or a C8 corvette. It will be completely different when you cut through the mountain roads. If you just want a premium daily because you are loaded, MXP will do just fine.

How does a guy go from a 02 honda odyssey to a MXP. Man, that jump is not just a little. Only thing I want to point out is that, MXP is just a quicker 0-60 family hauling daily. You probably will get tired of the launch after a while. If you want something special, fun and value holding. I would say go for a real sports car like 911 or a C8 corvette. It will be completely different when you cut through the mountain roads. If you just want a premium daily because you are loaded, MXP will do just fine.
lol, no i'm not loaded, by any stretch of imagination.

As for my other vehicles, eg. for the track days, the e39 and e46 will do. :)

I have sub-4 second cars. Hell, the x3 will do sub-4 with current mods, tunes, ethanol mix, catless downpipes, etc.

But how do i get to sub-3, and <10 sec car?

1713559018242.png

And gave a good breakin of the overnight demo to fit right in... :)

1713559558420.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ggunn9