Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please! Talk me out of MX Plaid !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Little" better, with latest $2,000 discount !!!

At least the monthly payment comes "under" a grand. :) Totally as a feel good, i suppose.

Damn, that ~$8K interest though, urgh...

View attachment 1040142

Compare to MX,

View attachment 1040143

This is going down one way or another by EOD tomorrow...

Can we see additional $3,000 off, to bring back the all time low $89K for MXP !!! come on tesla !!!

That's why I set mine up for $1,970 a month. I want this paid off before I retire. I'm 70 yo.

~60 years old.

AGI is ~$300K

Retirement estate in current status: ~$1.5mil

SS est $5k/mo at age 67

Okay. If I were 60 today, I’d buy the Model X but not the Plaid, unless there’s a specific need to get it.

I am in my early 40s with our household AGI just shy of $400k, and NW about $1.5M at this point in our lives with no debts or mortgages, and with one toddler. We cannot justify buying even a base Model X, let alone a Plaid not only because we are on a saving spree but also because of the trends we are seeing in the world of EV. In the next two years, the 2022+ Model X is likely to be severely outdated. Tesla’s 2021 X are now called Legacy so that should tell us something. And our current cars are very young and in many ways more capable than all Teslas today feature-wise.

But your situation is vastly different. I’d say - drop the idea of a Plaid (you don’t want your near retirement years dealing with car issues), and get the base long range Model X.

Reactions: ev919
what most people who crap on Tesla for quality seem to leave out is the software and the charging network. To me that value cannot be ignored. Sure other EVs have software but nothing as well laid out and user friendly as Tesla. Spend time at a few charge America stations and compare

If I had to finance a plaid I would not. I would get the plain X. there is no functional difference btw the 2. for middle aged people. that includes me.
Ditto, 57, if I need the badge for my ego it's $10. https://a.co/d/6yaN865. Also the Plaid only comes in a 6 seater, which is a stupid design, it adds 200 pounds of weight, if you need to put something large in the car you can't fold down the 2nd and 3rd row... made it less useful for things like bikes, Costco runs, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: mojavedesert
Ditto, 57, if I need the badge for my ego it's $10. https://a.co/d/6yaN865. Also the Plaid only comes in a 6 seater, which is a stupid design, it adds 200 pounds of weight, if you need to put something large in the car you can't fold down the 2nd and 3rd row... made it less useful for things like bikes, Costco runs, etc.

Not everyone who wants a plaid has an ego. In fact I’m glad the badge is the only way to know it’s a plaid, vs M or AMG.

On the contrary, a 6 seater is much easier to get to and from the third row. I don’t even have problems in my S with Costco trips.

Also the Plaid only comes in a 6 seater, which is a stupid design, it adds 200 pounds of weight, if you need to put something large in the car you can't fold down the 2nd and 3rd row... made it less useful for things like bikes, Costco runs, etc.
3rd row cannot be folded down?

That, ..., i need to confirm.

Okayy, on may way out to the Raleigh Tesla SC... Wish me luck... :)

And yes, do the wipers on full blast, got it.

I believe that was always this thread’s intended purpose…
dang...

Seriously though, these comments really got me thinking more deeply and thoroughly, seriously.

I was in the X this afternoon for some errand, on 540 hwy, and yeah, this car seem plenty fast for me as a 5 seater suv.

I'll be back, demo drive the MX, again, with 5 seaters in person. Compare the sport and insane mode.

I am going to ask, again, whether i could even ride in the MXP on the lot, not to drive, but ride in it for just a very short trip on Gleenwood, to feel what the neck snapping speed feels like. I don't have my hopes up though. :(

You should put the wipers on full blast. Just feel how the car rocks from side to side 😂
Yep, i can attest to above, after putting the setting to max (level 4, i recall). I can feel from the front driver seat "vibration". Turn it off, and goes away. Max setting, and vibration comes back. I didn't feel the X rocking side to side though, but definitely has the vibration felt from the seat.

Also, the "Auto" wiper setting is useless (at the moment with software controlled). Just like everyone else says, clear day and the wiper comes on, in Auto setting, lol.

1713652177966.png

Demo drove above X for about ~20 minutes. And spent ~1 hour'ish just trolling on the lot for different interiors. Interestingly the car doors were unlocked, at least most of the cars. I am most certain now the all black interior is the way to go for this family.

As for MX vs MXP, the home stretch rationale after considering all of the community member feedbacks is to order the MXP. And here's why. Yes, MX seem outdated in design, some above calls it legacy. But you know what? What is kinda "universal" in the car world is, wait for it, performance, i.e. 0-60, hp, torque, that sort of (silly) #'s. At least the MXP (hopefully) will hold that "unique" (exclusivity) value as being in that exclusive higher performance category. Anyway, that is how i'm going about this, from an investment sort of point of view. And at current price, it is at second "all time low" MXP price. Could it go "lower" sure, i hope so, to get even more folks to get an opportunity to experience this mega beast.

I did demo today the MX mostly in the Insane mode, and yeah, it's fast. It's "really fast". Beyond that, one starts to think irrationally, which is what i'm doing to go for MXP, despite there is no drag strip anywhere near where i live. :)

Given the sensitivity of the pedal, probably makes sense to have the wife drive in the Chill mode.

(given the latest price drop, i "may" just add +$20K to the downpayment to level out the monthly payment to be at par with MX, at least total interest will be ~halved, thinking...........)

And no, no Plaid test drive, not even a ride with associate. :(

Last edited:
Also today i learned something new about Tesla, specifically its "leasing", in that Tesla will not allow a buyout after the lease period is over. That seem to suggest, the resale value of used after lease period, seem to be in Tesla's favor.

Tonight i'm going to spend some (quality) time going through following list,

I can try to talk you out of an X. Not even 6 months of ownership, my service history
I don't know if your (common) issues got captured in above doc.

I can tell you about them:

FWD alignment flishnness
Damage to rear quarter window trying to fix that and failing to fix it
Replace rear quarter window still fail to fix
Fix FWD finally at a different SC with a body shop (but story not done, more to follow below)
Steering rack replacement or sensor replacement - car towed
Missing lower trim panel screw after steering rack replacement I find by accident
Random clips braking off (tow hitch retainer, mud flap for no reason)
FWD rubbing off paint from area inside seals of C pillar (probably a side effect of “fixing” FWD flushness to body, and a known issue with older Xs)
Rear and front wheel garnish issue again related to likely SC mishaps.
Don’t even count the grease and dirt issues at delivery.

Basically, either talk yourself into thinking your X is perfect or better reject it than dealing with service and potential endless annoyance

Basically, either talk yourself into thinking your X is perfect or better reject it than dealing with service and potential endless annoyance
So, my expectation going into this is that i'm not going to expect BMW and Lexus quality for the fit and finish. Now way.

But i will take issue when things regress, or gets worse from working on the vehicle by the local SC. I have issue with that. And BMW of Southpoint in my area and the SA i work with, and techs, they know i will be OCD about anything they screw up on top of the issue i originally brought in for. Do they break trim clips? Yep. Do they cause regression? Yep. Happens with all my BMW's, at one point or another.

So, with MX, i am keenly learning to differentiate what is "within spec" versus "out of spec". And if latter, i will have to work on my OCD to accept those.

And yeah, the FWD rubbing on B/C pillar, i'm going to when i get ppf/ceramic done, to ppf the heck out those areas.