Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please! Talk me out of MX Plaid !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not everyone who wants a plaid has an ego. In fact I’m glad the badge is the only way to know it’s a plaid, vs M or AMG.

On the contrary, a 6 seater is much easier to get to and from the third row. I don’t even have problems in my S with Costco trips.
I get it, I have had two performance S's before. We have an S and a Y also, they are all pretty awesome for Costco trips.. you know the one where the wife says go get a tenderloin and you come home with a generator and 5 cases of beer and forgot to get whatever she told you to go get!

Reactions: ev919
Not counting cold vibration, and some driver side mystery wind noise at highway speeds
We don't have any of those issues in our Dec 2023 built Model X, or our March built Model Y, my 2016 Model S on the other hand has all those ailments, but it has close to 150K on the ODO and still crushes the ICE sports cars that have finally realized they shouldn't even try to out accelerate a Model S.

Reactions: ev919
I know, silly right?

But why do i want a Plaid, so i can melt my face off, go to drag race strip, impress my friends, etc. ?

I've done the research. And not bragging, but $ is there. But can i put $ elsewhere? Sure.

Help me go through some other set of reasonings to talk me into buying the MX (Long Range).

Situation: Family of 4, kids grown up, 18 and 19 ages. Don't need >5 seats. Fold down is a bonus.

So, comes down to 0-60 between 3.8 and 2.5 secs.

2.5 ! That i'm reading is 1G pull ! Damn...

I do like that litle bit of extra "range" on the Long Range model.

Why do i want a Plaid ???!!!

I hate to buy MX and get a buyer's remorse.

View attachment 1039462
Really interesting how people buy Teslas for different needs and wants; I’m retired from the performance auto parts and engine rebuilding; Had more than my share of Hot Rod toys, I gave all that up when I turned 68; A few years later I couldn’t resist my speed demon in me and purchased a New 2002 MYP only because I couldn’t afford a Plaid but this YP has filled me completely, enjoying every mile and always looking for a street drag challenge.
In conclusion; Performance (speed) was strictly the only reason for my TESLA purchase. No regrets.

Just get a MSP - you’ll save 5k, you’ll lose a bit (but not much) utility, you will get a platform much better matched to the insane power and acceleration (the MXP is a tad terrifying to floor and stop in an urgency) and you will likely not have to deal with stupid things like the FWD not being flushed or rubbing your paint off or not opening fully or stupid automatic doors not being fully automatic and just a plain hassle sometimes.

In short - I don’t regret getting an MXP over LR conditional on being an X, but I’m starting to regret I just didn’t get an MSP. But got sucked into the 89k low and 1k discount added in fall 2023. Thought for the price an MXP is a bargain but it’s been a headache mostly due to the design and quality issues plaguing most Xs.

All of my issues are not unique - I’ve found examples of them on this forum multiple times
One thing i'm learning is that all these Tesla youtube content creators do one bang up job in making to click. Way too many click baits.

Anyway...

So, i saw some actual "genuine" Tesla buy backs where the owner actually showed checks for 100% of ther purchase price, after owning the MX (not Plaid, haven't seen buy back of any Plaids) for ~1 year.

Is that Tesla buy back just a gimmick, or people actually do that after the car just simply crossed the line of no return?

Yeah, MSP, that was the "first" thing i brought up with the boss (wife), since our kids are (sort of) grown up, 18 and 19 years age, and both me and the boss are well, ~60 years and ~55 years. Why the hell do we need SUV, when we have X3, and a family mover, beat up 2002 Odyssey (still going great at ~220K miles !!!), right?

Well, long story short, only chance at Plaid is X. S was shot down many, many weeks ago. :(

One thing, that "is" kind regret is that the nearest Tesla factory/authorized body shop is in Charlotte, ~3 hours away from Raleigh. Can't believe Raleigh has 0 factory body shop. We do have other indy shops, few great ones but still not the Tesla body shop.

The Raleigh Tesla did overhaul their operation and moved into a much larger place, and their service stalls are quite "large". Just hope that their techs are factory trained, and not just grabbing anyone off the street.

Really interesting how people buy Teslas for different needs and wants; I’m retired from the performance auto parts and engine rebuilding; Had more than my share of Hot Rod toys, I gave all that up when I turned 68; A few years later I couldn’t resist my speed demon in me and purchased a New 2002 MYP only because I couldn’t afford a Plaid but this YP has filled me completely, enjoying every mile and always looking for a street drag challenge.
In conclusion; Performance (speed) was strictly the only reason for my TESLA purchase. No regrets.
That MYP is a beast on its right. MYP 0-60 is 3.5 whereas MYX is 3.8, not much but, when demo driving both, just felt quicker in MYP. Haven't looked at MYP specs in detail against MX, but probably lighter, and etc.

But it's that "range", as a family road trip, yeah, that is "bit" discouraging...

I think if MYP had similar range as MX, then yeah, no brainer for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, MSP, that was the "first" thing i brought up with the boss (wife), since our kids are (sort of) grown up, 18 and 19 years age, and both me and the boss are well, ~60 years and ~55 years. Why the hell do we need SUV, when we have X3, and a family mover, beat up 2002 Odyssey (still going great at ~220K miles !!!), right?

Well, long story short, only chance at Plaid is X. S was shot down many, many weeks ago. :(
I have a model s plaid and am switching over to the x plaid. We all have our own reasons. The s plaid is wonderful and no regrets - I just want a little more room and sometimes have 3-4 kiddos with me. Head over to the S forums - people have their own sets of problems there too but I’ve had none really. I have one wheel/tire with air pressure problems but that’s on me mostly. Otherwise my experience has been flawless which I know some on the S side would laugh at.