Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please tell me about my charging setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently moved into a new rental house and when we were looking for a place one of criteria was a EV charger in the garage. Well here is what I have but not sure what kind of results I am goi g to see when I actually have my car. Car you tell me what kind of miles per hr charge I can expect to see. I think it’s running off the battery.
Thanks

Attachments

• 61A96568-1493-4E86-9ACD-46849F7B6275.jpeg
    61A96568-1493-4E86-9ACD-46849F7B6275.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 3199FC3E-C9CB-44DB-A8B3-12D3B67BF464.jpeg
    3199FC3E-C9CB-44DB-A8B3-12D3B67BF464.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 3AC3AEA0-1C3B-4E45-916A-2AEBD02207D6.jpeg
    3AC3AEA0-1C3B-4E45-916A-2AEBD02207D6.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Can you get a model number of the EVSE (the unit from ChargePoint)?

It's a ChargePoint home unit (It's Time To Bring ChargePoint Home: Residential EV Charger Now On Sale | ChargePoint) so it's either 16 amps or 32 amps. That EVSE would be fed 240 volts in a home. So, its output at max would be either 16 amps * 240 volts = 3,840 watts = 3.84 kW or 32 amps * 240 volts = 7,680 watts = 7.68 kW.

I personally dislike expressing charging rate in "miles per hour" because almost no other automaker does it and a "mile" added will take your vehicle MUCH more than a mile if driven slowly (e.g. 20 mph) than if driven fast (e.g. 80+ mph). And, there's too much confusion (due to many factors such as supply voltage, EVSE max delivery rate, on-board charger max acceptance rate, etc.) rather than expressing it in watts or voltage and amps.

Anyhow, see the table at Wall Connector for Model 3 and look at either the max output of 16 amps or 32 amps, Model 3 "mph" column.

Can you get a model number of the EVSE (the unit from ChargePoint)?

It's a ChargePoint home unit (It's Time To Bring ChargePoint Home: Residential EV Charger Now On Sale | ChargePoint) so it's either 16 amps or 32 amps. That EVSE would be fed 240 volts in a home. So, its output at max would be either 16 amps * 240 volts = 3,840 watts = 3.84 kW or 32 amps * 240 volts = 7,680 watts = 7.68 kW.

I personally dislike expressing charging rate in "miles per hour" because almost no other automaker does it and a "mile" added will take your vehicle MUCH more than a mile if driven slowly (e.g. 20 mph) than if driven fast (e.g. 80+ mph). And, there's too much confusion (due to many factors such as supply voltage, EVSE max delivery rate, on-board charger max acceptance rate, etc.) rather than expressing it in watts or voltage and amps.

Anyhow, see the table at Wall Connector for Model 3 and look at either the max output of 16 amps or 32 amps, Model 3 "mph" column.
Not sure which charge point unit it is. Don’t seem to be able to find a P/N. My panel is labeled 20 amps though so by what you say it seems I can expect to charge at 16 amps. I just don’t know how the battery is going to okay into it.

Not sure what EVSE is.
Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment - that thing on the wall w/the J1772 handle branded ChargePoint. It's in your 1st pic. If you can't see a model #, perhaps make a note of/take of pic of a label w/the output rating.

For background info, see Wayback Machine, Basics of SAE J1772 : Support and the diagram posted by planet4ever at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Range issues.

For L1 and L2 charging over J1772 and via Tesla's wall and mobile connectors (notice Tesla calls them connectors and NOT chargers), the CHARGER is on-board the car. The external unit is an EVSE, basically a smart safety switch and NOT a charger.

For DC fast charging (e.g. Tesla Supercharger), the car's OBC is bypassed and the external unit is an EVSE w/external/off-board charger.

Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment - that thing on the wall w/the J1772 handle branded ChargePoint. It's in your 1st pic. If you can't see a model #, perhaps make a note of/take of pic of a label w/the output rating.

For background info, see Wayback Machine, Basics of SAE J1772 : Support and the diagram posted by planet4ever at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Range issues.

For L1 and L2 charging over J1772 and via Tesla's wall and mobile connectors (notice Tesla calls them connectors and NOT chargers), the CHARGER is on-board the car. The external unit is an EVSE, basically a smart safety switch and NOT a charger.

For DC fast charging (e.g. Tesla Supercharger), the car's OBC is bypassed and the external unit is an EVSE w/external/off-board charger.
Sorry meant “which” instead of what. Fixed my initial post.

Reactions: APotatoGod
If the EVSE is on a 20 amp circuit, then the max safe continuous output is 16 amps.
Thanks, so you have any idea about the battery setup? The hardline for the charger runs straight to the battery after the breaker panel. I’m wondering if the charger runs purely off the solar/battery setup. The owner left no details and the property manager dose t have any idea. Slightly frustrating.

So I recently moved into a new rental house and when we were looking for a place one of criteria was a EV charger in the garage. Well here is what I have but not sure what kind of results I am goi g to see when I actually have my car. Car you tell me what kind of miles per hr charge I can expect to see. I think it’s running off the battery.
Thanks
I echo @TiggerTime and the question about the 20-amp circuit. That is a huge and expensive load center cabinet (“breaker box”) and switch for a 20-amp circuit...much, much smaller/cheaper options exist. I can’t imagine a more costly way to get a relatively paltry 16 amps to the vehicle. So, some questions:

1- is the installed load center supply wires and circuit capable of more than 20 amps?
2- is the wire size to the ChargePoint device capable of more than 20 amps?
3- are there local code restrictions that mandated the use of this equipment on such a low-amperage circuit?

I guess none of this matters now as you have what you have. If the setup is indeed capable of higher amperages safely and within code, you may with to upgrade to at least 40 amps so you can to get 32 amps sent to the vehicle, if the ChargePoint device supports it. You don’t mention which vehicle you’re charging, or I missed that. If a Model 3 LR you could go up to 48 amps with the Tesla wall unit and appropriate (60 amp) circuitry, and other versions max out at 32.

I have no thoughts about the battery unit.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Thanks

Can you please take pictures of the circuit breaker panel with the door open? We need sufficient resolution to read all the breaker handle amperage ratings as well as the list of what the circuits are used for. It would also be nice to see the panel specs which are generally on a sticker on the inside of the door.

You have 3/4 inch conduit coming out of that EVSE which is HUGE for just 20a capable wire.

Note that even if the conduit goes into the solar panels it may not be tied to it in any way. The physical and the logical layout don’t necessarily have anything to do with each other.

I suspect there is a strong chance that the EVSE (ChargePoint) is hooked to its own breaker in the main panel.

To the comment of why to do just a 16 charger: Lots of EV’s can’t accept any more than that, so some have chosen not to pay for more than that to be installed. See the Chevy Volt...

Thanks, so you have any idea about the battery setup? The hardline for the charger runs straight to the battery after the breaker panel. I’m wondering if the charger runs purely off the solar/battery setup. The owner left no details and the property manager dose t have any idea. Slightly frustrating.
Both the grid power and the power from the solar array are routed through the Sonnnen unit, so it can intelligently switch between solar, grid and battery charging based on current production and household consumption. It'll do the right thing automatically. This is a pretty sweet setup.
Even more odd is why anyone would spend $500+ for a EVSE and possibly installation by an electrician then only put it on a 20A circuit ?
This whole setup seems very odd.
That's perfectly normal if the previous tenant had a car that can't take more (such as most plugin hybrids). A Model 3 will charge about 15 miles/hour on a 16A EVSE connected to a 20A circuit.

I echo @TiggerTime and the question about the 20-amp circuit. That is a huge and expensive load center cabinet (“breaker box”) and switch for a 20-amp circuit...much, much smaller/cheaper options exist. I can’t imagine a more costly way to get a relatively paltry 16 amps to the vehicle. So, some questions:

1- is the installed load center supply wires and circuit capable of more than 20 amps?
2- is the wire size to the ChargePoint device capable of more than 20 amps?
3- are there local code restrictions that mandated the use of this equipment on such a low-amperage circuit?

I guess none of this matters now as you have what you have. If the setup is indeed capable of higher amperages safely and within code, you may with to upgrade to at least 40 amps so you can to get 32 amps sent to the vehicle, if the ChargePoint device supports it. You don’t mention which vehicle you’re charging, or I missed that. If a Model 3 LR you could go up to 48 amps with the Tesla wall unit and appropriate (60 amp) circuitry, and other versions max out at 32.

I have no thoughts about the battery unit.
Model 3 performance once I get it.

Can you please take pictures of the circuit breaker panel with the door open? We need sufficient resolution to read all the breaker handle amperage ratings as well as the list of what the circuits are used for. It would also be nice to see the panel specs which are generally on a sticker on the inside of the door.

You have 3/4 inch conduit coming out of that EVSE which is HUGE for just 20a capable wire.

Note that even if the conduit goes into the solar panels it may not be tied to it in any way. The physical and the logical layout don’t necessarily have anything to do with each other.

I suspect there is a strong chance that the EVSE (ChargePoint) is hooked to its own breaker in the main panel.

To the comment of why to do just a 16 charger: Lots of EV’s can’t accept any more than that, so some have chosen not to pay for more than that to be installed. See the Chevy Volt...

here you go

Attachments

• 7588D58F-D177-4FB3-88EE-01088AF0B0D5.jpeg
    7588D58F-D177-4FB3-88EE-01088AF0B0D5.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 26994671-355E-4157-AA05-F48CDE89F5CA.jpeg
    26994671-355E-4157-AA05-F48CDE89F5CA.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 5B98F9E8-46D1-41FB-9E57-D86547E82BB6.jpeg
    5B98F9E8-46D1-41FB-9E57-D86547E82BB6.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 67
here you go

Thanks!

Very interesting... You certainly don’t have an EV charging circuit out of that electrical box which is interesting to me.

I presume the EV charging ability must be tied into the Sonnen box directly somehow? Is there by chance a separate sub panel for that box or some kind of integrated load center inside of it?

I am not familiar with the Sonnen design.

I suspect that indeed that EV charger is going to be no higher than 16a capable.

Thanks!

Very interesting... You certainly don’t have an EV charging circuit out of that electrical box which is interesting to me.

I presume the EV charging ability must be tied into the Sonnen box directly somehow? Is there by chance a separate sub panel for that box or some kind of integrated load center inside of it?

I am not familiar with the Sonnen design.

I suspect that indeed that EV charger is going to be no higher than 16a capable.
Not that I can find however I agree with your assessment that 16a is what I will see.

Not ideal, however my daily commute is 25 miles round trip so I think it will be more than adequate. I’m just getting charger envy is all. Lol
I drive 24 miles a day also.
It was certainly eye opening to see how fast supercharging is.
And having 32mph charging at home is a little luxury- not absolutely necessary but makes life convenient.

Reactions: eprosenx