Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug-in car Grant now £3000 (was £3500) for cars under £50k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CMc1

supercharge.info editor
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2019
North, UK
I know there has been several threads today about budget, but I haven’t seen it mentioned regarding the grant changing. Just the fact it’s been extended.

Unless this is a typo...

BAADAD5B-7314-424C-8992-07A8708DE977.jpeg

Update on plug-in vehicle grants following today’s budget

I know there has been several threads today about budget, but I haven’t seen it mentioned regarding the grant changing. Just the fact it’s been extended.

Unless this is a typo...

View attachment 520599

Update on plug-in vehicle grants following today’s budget
Correct its a reduction reading that, so reducing the grant and excluding the £50k and over allows the Gov to save a bit and stretch it out.

"a small reduction to the grant" & "will allow more drivers to benifit from making the switch for longer"

Interesting. So I think that might well affect cars registered after 11 March. Tesla have always said they will pass on any changes to the PIG.

Also the £50k cap means that Model 3 P models, and I think even some LR AWD specs, will no longer qualify for the grant at all, so an effective £3500 increase.

As always, they give with one hand, and take away with the other...

Well spotted.

We need to consolidate these threads really, as there is good information in each of them.

It makes sense really that it excludes expensive cars, really, because it's your average person that needs to be coaxed out of ICE cars and into EVs, not people buying Model S/X, Taycans, or even M3Ps.

I wonder how it will affect orders in progress though.. I'm painfully close to picking my car up but haven't had the order invoice yet.... mine is comfortably over the £50k threshold.

Anyone who has already ordered a Performance will be happy if Tesla honour the grant, along with the VED reduction it has saved some money. Think Telsa may see a drop in Performance orders now though, LR with some extras comes in just under the limit, instead of £5K to upgrade from LR to Performance it will now be £8K without the grant. I wonder if Tesla will adjust the prices to get all 3's under the limit but that would mean taking several thousands off the list price of the Performance.

Reactions: pow216
Isn't the grant eligibility based on the list price (pre-discount) though? That would mean that all non-white LR (mine included) will lose the grant, and if realised I think I would have to cancel my order as finding an extra £3.5k within the next fortnight would be challenging at best.

As said above though, the Tesla order agreement says:

Tesla will apply for the Plug-In Car Grant on your behalf. The Plug-In Car Grant is an incentive provided by the UK government and therefore subject to availability and change without notice.There is no legal entitlement to the Plug-In Car Grant and Tesla is not liable for its payment. In case the Plug-In Car Grant is not available or changes, Tesla reserves the right to update the amount due in respect of your vehicle accordingly.

..which is worrying, in light of the information above saying "orders placed on the portal after March 11th" (what portal? the portal that facilitates Tesla claiming PIGs?) then it would tend to suggest that it would affect LR/P cars not currently delivered. It would all hang on when Tesla claims the PIG I suppose.

As remarked above the LR price is £47k after the current £3500 PIG, so it would be excluded too. LR cars are £50,500 and the P adds £5000 on top of that for the Performance upgrade.

I really hope it doesn't affect my order because I'm not sure I would stomach paying £64,290 for the car instead of what was originally on my order agreement.

Last edited:
Wonder how this impacts cars on salary sacrifice leases. My M3 LR is over £50k due to the addition of a towbar. I ordered on 4 March based on a quote at that date and have collection scheduled for 18 March. Zenith small print says something like the quote when ordering can be subject to change and is not guaranteed before delivery. So now I guess I need to keep fingers crossed that Zenith honour my quote and don't turn around and say my monthly costs are now higher due to loss of the grant.

Yeah, I'm pretty nervous now to be honest.

Tesla stand to lose quite a bit if they tried to absorb the PIG changes, with so many cars coming before the end of the quarter. On the flip side they would get a lot of cancellations too. I have no idea how this would affect financed cars, it blows the figures up.

Yeah, I'm pretty nervous now to be honest.

Tesla stand to lose quite a bit if they tried to absorb the PIG changes, with so many cars coming before the end of the quarter. On the flip side they would get a lot of cancellations too. I have no idea how this would affect financed cars, it blows the figures up.

Agree, this change has stitched up Tesla. Then again they fleece UK customers compared to US pricing so they might be forced to reduce their Model 3 pricing and margins in the UK to fall below the £50k limit or they risk a significant drop in orders.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rooster6655
It makes both LR and P £3,500 more expensive as things stand.

Both cars are £50,500 base with no options before the PIG, with the latter having an additional £5,000 for the Performance upgrade.

Either Tesla honour the existing order agreements, which state that PIG is subject to change and thus the invoice can be amended, or they’re going to get a lot of cancellations. They could reduce the price correspondingly on the website too, but I can’t see them dropping it by £3,500.

I would probably weather an extra £1,000 or so on my order, but +£3,500 I think I’d cancel.

Maybe overthinking it - if it's already registered ( number plate), anything not registered after this date is subject to revised grant?
If it’s on a boat, as many of these cars are, then they won’t be registered. Tesla register the cars on the day of delivery usually, and one presumes they can’t apply for the PIG without registration...

If it’s on a boat, as many of these cars are, then they won’t be registered. Tesla register the cars on the day of delivery usually, and one presumes they can’t apply for the PIG without registration...
I can see an awful lot of Tesla model 3s being on inventory in the next few days as this has completely stitched up anyone still waiting for a LR or P me included.