Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugging tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yo mama

Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2015
san jose, CA
I have (another) slow leak in one of my low-pro tires (21" cyclone rims). I suspect a nail, like last time.

Last time this happened I took my MS to the Fremont mothership and I was told they don't plug tires, so I just bought a new tire. But that was expensive. Is there any reason to avoid taking my MS to my old "Joe Public" garage guy, who routinely plugged tires on my old ICE vehicle?

FWIW just plugged my 19" Goodyear tire--using my compressor and standard Slime plug kit (sticky black threadlike plugs and cement). My 'DIY kit' also has a pair of pliers, yellow tire marking crayon, disposable gloves, wet wipes--all fits inside the bag for the compressor. Easy and secure. Nice to have air suspension to raise car up enough to get better access.

I have plugged many tires over the years and none have failed. I ran these plugged tires until they needed replacement. Tradesmen plug tires constantly because they pick up nails on the job sites. The process works however I would never plug a sidewall puncture or a long cut due to glass. I would also consider the speed rating of the tire to be reduced if it has a plug but that reduced limit was always higher than I needed.

The best advice is to not let tires run down to the wear bars as this is when they pick up nails more easily, in my experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
I picked up a nail one week into ownership, discovered same thing as you that Tesla would not fix. I decided to buy a new tire and then took bad tire to a tire shop the SC recommended. They patched the tire and now I have a spare, albeit it's not mounted. There was another silver lining to this as well. I'm about to replace all 4 tires due to wear (~25k miles), and I will likely use the shop that patched the tire as I know they are recommended by the SC and I've already seen their operation.

The kits are essentially the same with a tool to make the hole through steel belts and a tool to insert the plug and then retract leaving the plug and glue behind. The only things to watch are that the glue needs to be sealed or it will dry out and be useless when you need it and chances are that you will not need it ever.

If you are plugging in your home workshop/garage a power drill with small bit is a good way to make a uniform hole through the steel belts.

Like most emergency tools you need to practise a few times to have the confidence to use it. Get an old rim and tire at a wrecker and apply a few plugs. You can check for leaks with soapy water. I'm sure that you will be impressed with the ease of making this repair. You still need a source of compressed air to refill the tire. An internal patch can be applied later if you need the speed rating to be maintained.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
there is nothing special or different about the tires on a tesla, if the hole is in the tread it can be plugged. as for the low profile 21 inch rims you need to be careful with those just like you would with any other car with similar wheels.

I have (another) slow leak in one of my low-pro tires (21" cyclone rims). I suspect a nail, like last time.

Last time this happened I took my MS to the Fremont mothership and I was told they don't plug tires, so I just bought a new tire. But that was expensive. Is there any reason to avoid taking my MS to my old "Joe Public" garage guy, who routinely plugged tires on my old ICE vehicle?

The main problem with plugs is that the tire is not demounted and so there is no inspection for hidden damage (nails and such often scratch the inside of the sidewall causing a sudden deflation at some later date). So after the tire is plugged to get you going, visit a tire shop at your earliest convenience and have them inspect the interior of the tire. They can also put on a real patch at that point.

there is nothing special or different about the tires on a tesla, if the hole is in the tread it can be plugged. as for the low profile 21 inch rims you need to be careful with those just like you would with any other car with similar wheels.
Actually, the old mechanic I used to take my ICE car to declined to patch the tire (back when I thought that was the problem) because of Tesla's fancy tires. Props to Wheel Works for at least trying to help, and then identifying the actual problem.

...the 21's might be...the 19's are fine....
As (some) women say, "beauty is pain." The 21's are beautiful, in my opinion.

ETA: apparently the "pain" is $1,510 to replace the wheel.

is