Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 ordered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was mostly speaking on exterior looks (reminds me of 80s mustang). Driving wise its got the heavy body feel of an AMC but not much else is similar
Ah that explains it, yes I see what you mean!

I too was thinking that driving feel wise, Model 3 dual motor feels closer to RWD than Polestar 2 dual motor. Polestar 2 felt more like Subarus with fulltime AWD - no feeling of power oversteer in the dry, just very stable and predictable. Model 3 wants to rotate under power, not something I'm used to yet.

Congrats Teezy! I'm glad you're enjoying the new car.

I ordered a Polestar 2 with all the options (except leather) before cancelling in favor of my M3P. I still think the P2 is a great car, and yup definitely more stable & fun in corners at least with the "Performance Pack" suspension (on the car I tested). If the range and charging were equal, I'd probably have the Polestar right now. Instead I'm waiting for some suspension goodies to try to get that level of cornering stability and feel from my M3P. :)
Nice! M3P is a hell of a car and will be a ton of fun. What is your build?

Nice! M3P is a hell of a car and will be a ton of fun. What is your build?

Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV coilovers in "Performance Sport" trim, with the optional aluminum top hats.

I'm also downsizing to 18" wheels to get more sidewall for better wheel protection, ride quality, and range. I'll probably start with Michelin PS4S tires on them, everyone seems to love those tires for street use, though I'm still considering Bridgestone or Continental as well.

From my Model S I already know roads around here can crack stock big Tesla wheels with 245/35-series rubberbands. 245/40 held up fine for me on a previous, much lighter car, but my wife and I share cars now and she has a habit of cutting over curbs, so 245/45 seems like a safer bet. Hence 18" on the Model 3 to maintain the outer diameter.

I'm also thinking the taller sidewall may let me comfortably go stiffer with the damper settings, not to mention those aluminum top hats, and it could end up being a really nice combo for us.

Reactions: Teezy
Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV coilovers in "Performance Sport" trim, with the optional aluminum top hats.

I'm also downsizing to 18" wheels to get more sidewall for better wheel protection, ride quality, and range. I'll probably start with Michelin PS4S tires on them, everyone seems to love those tires for street use, though I'm still considering Bridgestone or Continental as well.

From my Model S I already know roads around here can crack stock big Tesla wheels with 245/35-series rubberbands. 245/40 held up fine for me on a previous, much lighter car, but my wife and I share cars now and she has a habit of cutting over curbs, so 245/45 seems like a safer bet. Hence 18" on the Model 3 to maintain the outer diameter.

I'm also thinking the taller sidewall may let me comfortably go stiffer with the damper settings, not to mention those aluminum top hats, and it could end up being a really nice combo for us.
What a great idea, your car is going to be a blast. Looking forward to pics and videos

I have 3 cars on order, and a Polestar 2 is one of them. It's the only one I've gotten to test drive, but I'm a bit mad at the bait and switch on the EDDs. The configurator said end of January, but as soon as I paid my deposit, I was given a June delivery window. The source code says May 17th, which is slightly better, but still. If my M3LR order starts sliding back from March, it might start looking more appetizing.

The Polestar forum is absolutely chock full of people with programming bugs, but the build quality otherwise seems quite a bit higher than Tesla's.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Close to 4 months in and I've had to do a handful of console resets to fix minor issues but I havent experienced any issues that a reset didnt fix. Only thing I miss about the M3 is the efficiency because the Polestar 2 loves to suck down the juice.

Still love Tesla's though and I hope to sell the PS2 for a Plaid if/when used plaid prices come down

Reactions: Zer0t and tm1v2
Posted this in another thread, but since it's relevant for this one as well, I'm also posting it here:

Considering the times we currently live in I thought it 'appropriate' to share the following:

Guess who forked up more than 85% of the cash when Geely bought Volvo cars back in ~2009?

Surreally enough that cash came from various entities of the Chinese Military Dictatorship... Yeah... I know.

You can read about it here (in one of the most reputable newspapers in Sweden):

So who is it that really owns Volvo Cars/Polestar?...

I translated som of it in a previous post I wrote some ~8 years ago...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: X Fan
@Teezy congrats on the new car. Is it considered a sedan or a CUV? We test drove the C30 recharge which shockingly nice but I read the polestar 2 had a bit more range, a bit more luxurious finish and a bit better stlying. So for similar money a nicer car. Can you tell me what discounts you received? There’s a top spec car in the lot at a dealer 18 miles away. Also, I’ve read the charging curve is a bit wonky, what’s your experience with DC fast charging? Overall, are you happy with the purchase?

I was going to wait for the BMW I4 M50 but prefer a SUV or at least a CUV like the mustang Mache-E (prices are nuts on these).

@Teezy congrats on the new car. Is it considered a sedan or a CUV? We test drove the C30 recharge which shockingly nice but I read the polestar 2 had a bit more range, a bit more luxurious finish and a bit better stlying. So for similar money a nicer car. Can you tell me what discounts you received? There’s a top spec car in the lot at a dealer 18 miles away. Also, I’ve read the charging curve is a bit wonky, what’s your experience with DC fast charging? Overall, are you happy with the purchase?

I was going to wait for the BMW I4 M50 but prefer a SUV or at least a CUV like the mustang Mache-E (prices are nuts on these).
@Zer0t The Polestar 2 is a sedan-height fastback/hatchback. It's not quite as low or short as a Model 3, but it still feels very much sedan behind the wheel, not CUV or SUV height. The P2 is also slightly shorter length than a Model 3, and has a much better turning radius, good for city driving and parking.

Personally I prefer sedan ride height, but if you want that CUV feeling of sitting higher up, the P2 probably isn't the car for you. The upcoming Polestar 3 is going to be a CUV, and I believe overall bigger than the P2.

Mach-E definitely feels higher up than a P2 behind the wheel. The battery layout plays into this. Mach-E has a "skateboard" layout like S3XY Tesla, with battery under the entire floor. Ford gave it good interior height though, which meant making it taller than a traditional ICE sedan/wagon, and thus it feels CUV height behind the wheel. While the GT PE is a bit lower than the base models, you still sit higher up than in a Polestar 2 or Model 3 or Model S.

Note the P2 has its battery cells in its center tunnel, which lets it retain good interior height without becoming a CUV. Thus the P2 back seat is much higher off the floor than a Model 3, and therefore much more comfortable (to me), even though there's less legroom. However the P2 is still far smaller inside and outside than a Model Y, or even a Mach-E.

I've read the BMW i4 is the worst of both layouts - it has a skateboard battery pack with compromised vertical space, especially in the back seat, yet it also has a sizable center tunnel. Sounds like poor packaging to me, though I haven't sat in or tested one yet, maybe it's not as bad as I've read. At least the i4 has a hatch, that's worth a lot in my book, but then so does the Polestar 2 and Mach-E and any CUV.

Btw if performance is at all a priority for you, skip the Mach-E. The Mach-E GT PE is almost a really good sporty EV, but its thermal throttling is really bad. Which is a shame because there's a lot to like in that car, but I would never recommend it, unless you just don't care about slow DC charging and severely limited acceleration in many situations.

Edit: This thread has a lot of Tesla owners' impressions of the Polestar 2, including my own, in case you haven't come across it already:

Last edited:
Reactions: GtiMart and Zer0t
@Zer0t The Polestar 2 is a sedan-height fastback/hatchback. It's not quite as low or short as a Model 3, but it still feels very much sedan behind the wheel, not CUV or SUV height. The P2 is also slightly shorter length than a Model 3, and has a much better turning radius, good for city driving and parking.

Personally I prefer sedan ride height, but if you want that CUV feeling of sitting higher up, the P2 probably isn't the car for you. The upcoming Polestar 3 is going to be a CUV, and I believe overall bigger than the P2.

Mach-E definitely feels higher up than a P2 behind the wheel. The battery layout plays into this. Mach-E has a "skateboard" layout like S3XY Tesla, with battery under the entire floor. Ford gave it good interior height though, which meant making it taller than a traditional ICE sedan/wagon, and thus it feels CUV height behind the wheel. While the GT PE is a bit lower than the base models, you still sit higher up than in a Polestar 2 or Model 3 or Model S.

Note the P2 has its battery cells in its center tunnel, which lets it retain good interior height without becoming a CUV. Thus the P2 back seat is much higher off the floor than a Model 3, and therefore much more comfortable (to me), even though there's less legroom. However the P2 is still far smaller inside and outside than a Model Y, or even a Mach-E.

I've read the BMW i4 is the worst of both layouts - it has a skateboard battery pack with compromised vertical space, especially in the back seat, yet it also has a sizable center tunnel. Sounds like poor packaging to me, though I haven't sat in or tested one yet, maybe it's not as bad as I've read. At least the i4 has a hatch, that's worth a lot in my book, but then so does the Polestar 2 and Mach-E and any CUV.

Btw if performance is at all a priority for you, skip the Mach-E. The Mach-E GT PE is almost a really good sporty EV, but its thermal throttling is really bad. Which is a shame because there's a lot to like in that car, but I would never recommend it, unless you just don't care about slow DC charging and severely limited acceleration in many situations.

Edit: This thread has a lot of Tesla owners' impressions of the Polestar 2, including my own, in case you haven't come across it already:
Thank you for so much detail. Much appreciated.

Reactions: tm1v2
I parked beside a P2 last week and it seemed a lot bigger in height and width but more-so on filling that box with metal. Just overall appeared more massive if not longer. Very nice. But looking specs and price I like mine better.

@pipestem I test drove the P2 and it was quite nice. It may be a bit higher than the M3 but it's overall has roughly the same dimensions as a M3. The M3 has much more cargo space than the P2 and the M3, most importantly, weighs a thousand pounds less than the Polestar. These weight is contributor to the lesser range and slower acceleration.

After experiencing my wife decided she'd prefer the model 3 as she thought the ride quality as about the same but preferred the Tesla interface (because she is experienced with it), the cargo space and price of the M3P. I ordered mine pre-price increase and with Red Paint and White interior the price is just under 63,000 with dest. A comparably equipped P2 without leather is probably similarly priced at 64,600 with dest but is eligible for the 7500 in tax credit giving a net effective cost of 57,100, 5900 less than the similar M3P.

So one has to decide if the range, power and SC network are worth 5900 bucks over the period of ownership. I have had no issues with CCS based charging networks driving around in my Porsche Taycan but the Tesla network is denser. However, like most owners, if you change mostly at home the range and charging network advantages kind become less important.

Reactions: pipestem
@pipestem I test drove the P2 and it was quite nice. It may be a bit higher than the M3 but it's overall has roughly the same dimensions as a M3. The M3 has much more cargo space than the P2 and the M3, most importantly, weighs a thousand pounds less than the Polestar. These weight is contributor to the lesser range and slower acceleration.

After experiencing my wife decided she'd prefer the model 3 as she thought the ride quality as about the same but preferred the Tesla interface (because she is experienced with it), the cargo space and price of the M3P. I ordered mine pre-price increase and with Red Paint and White interior the price is just under 63,000 with dest. A comparably equipped P2 without leather is probably similarly priced at 64,600 with dest but is eligible for the 7500 in tax credit giving a net effective cost of 57,100, 5900 less than the similar M3P.

So one has to decide if the range, power and SC network are worth 5900 bucks over the period of ownership. I have had no issues with CCS based charging networks driving around in my Porsche Taycan but the Tesla network is denser. However, like most owners, if you change mostly at home the range and charging network advantages kind become less important.
I have the same calculus going on, including wife's experience with our M3 interface. I've seen the P2 but not driven it. I feel like P2 is really close but falls just a few points shy. The main benefit right now is availability. I'm also an old Volvo owner going back to a 1990 when I bought a very used 740. I'm not in a big hurry but I feel like I have a rare opportunity with resale values being so crazy high.

I have the same calculus going on, including wife's experience with our M3 interface. I've seen the P2 but not driven it. I feel like P2 is really close but falls just a few points shy. The main benefit right now is availability. I'm also an old Volvo owner going back to a 1990 when I bought a very used 740. I'm not in a big hurry but I feel like I have a rare opportunity with resale values being so crazy high.
If there’s a Space near enough to you I’d test drive one. It can’t hurt and they‘re really quite nice.

I finally test drove a I4 M50 and would strongly consider one if it weren’t such a long wait. It has some short comings sharing the platform with the 430 Grand Coupe but it rides fantastic, I like the new iDrive system and a terrific interior.

If there’s a Space near enough to you I’d test drive one. It can’t hurt and they‘re really quite nice.

I finally test drove a I4 M50 and would strongly consider one if it weren’t such a long wait. It has some short comings sharing the platform with the 430 Grand Coupe but it rides fantastic, I like the new iDrive system and a terrific interior.
What did they tell you about the wait for the i4? I have a bmw dealer 6 miles away vs 138 for the star. Tesla is about 25 miles out, and still the leader if I get ‘the ‘call’’.