Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 Review by FullyCharged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill

Is it just me that gets overly wound up by their inaccurasies? I mean... Whats the point of listing statistics if you are going to get them wrong?

They took "real range" from EV databse and then compared it to estimaed "real range" for polestar 2 ... Where the disclaimer is clrealy stated Polestar 2 "All specifications on this page with a * are still estimates."

So why??? Why do this???

Plus why compare it to the 3 at all? its more of a Y competitor, both are "pre-order" in UK right now if you want to get picky about availability.

Also no closeup on the "much better interiour" ... No metion of autopilot/cruise control functions .... No mension of efficiency of HVAC (important in an EV) ... no mention of any kind of built in dashcam....

Why even bother?

The press also tripped over themselves to express superlatives about the I-Pace and that’s got a $25,000 discount at my local Jaguar dealer and six months of inventory sitting around.

In the US the Polestar 2 is significantly more expensive than a Model 3 AWD, has shorter range, slower acceleration, less interior room, and less capable quick charging, both in network breadth and in maximum speed.

I think the Polestar is really great, especially inside, but when it comes to signing on the dotted line I can’t imagine a huge number of buyers overlooking these deficiencies.

I do hope they can sell every one they make though. The more EVs the better and this one seems to be a real effort.

Reactions: GSP
To be fair, Tesla didn't set the bar too high on this one, so I tend to believe him even without close-up shots.

I suppose this is subjective.

Will the build quality be better maybe. But if you want a car that isn’t the norm then the Tesla might swing it for you. I personally prefer the larger screen and simplicity of the Tesla.

That being said. I think the Jag I pace has a nicer interior that the polestar and can be bought for the same cost. With the same range.

Is it just me that gets overly wound up by their inaccurasies? I mean... Whats the point of listing statistics if you are going to get them wrong?

They took "real range" from EV databse and then compared it to estimaed "real range" for polestar 2 ... Where the disclaimer is clrealy stated Polestar 2 "All specifications on this page with a * are still estimates."

So why??? Why do this???

Plus why compare it to the 3 at all? its more of a Y competitor, both are "pre-order" in UK right now if you want to get picky about availability.

Also no closeup on the "much better interiour" ... No metion of autopilot/cruise control functions .... No mension of efficiency of HVAC (important in an EV) ... no mention of any kind of built in dashcam....

Why even bother?

Not sure what the hate is on the Polestar 2 here. Polestar 2 is listing a WLTP of 310 miles and T3 LR at 348 miles. A 12% difference. The EV Database figures used in the video of 240 & 280 miles respectively are a 15% difference. Not much in it.

The Polestar 2 is a sedan with a hatchback, not a cross-over like the Model Y, and is smaller than the Model 3 in footprint.

Both currently are delivering late in the year. Model 3's are currently pre-ordered back until September and the Polestar in Nov/December. Not 2021 which is likely when the UK will get the right hand drive Model Y.

Volvo is known for their great fixture and fittings, which are carried over to the Polestar 2, I recommend looking at Autogefuel if you want a deeper look at the interior. I personally think it looks stunning.

The lack of mention of the Pro-Pilot system by reviewers has been a miss, for me I note. Written reviews have said it's a step-up over the existing Volvo systems. But there's been no direct comparison yet. But I'm sure we'll see videos pop up as deliveries commence.

It's certainly starting to heat up in the EV space, which is only a good thing. Forcing other manufactures to get their act together on charging networks, and Tesla to consider model variants, that aren't heavily focused on the US market.

So why??? Why do this???

Why even bother?
I think for a vid aimed at the UK comparing against the 3 make more sense than the Y. Despite having a hatch it only has as much or less boot capacity as the 3.
Also I would say it is available to order not preorder. you can order a 3 estimated delivery September, you can order a polestar estimated delivery December. but you can't order a Y and have no idea when you would get one even if you could.

I think it's a pretty fair review (not having seen the P2 in the flesh) and it is definitely more of a competitor to the 3 than the Y - it's just a hatch opening rather than saloon. If I didn't already have a M3P I would certainly be tempted - think it comes down to how much value you place on the supercharger network and whether or not you need the added practicality of a hatch vs saloon boot. I think we would need to see what the production models are looking like once they start being delivered before we know for sure how the fit and finish compare to Tesla, but based on the review model that is being passed around all the usual outlets it certainly seems to be of a higher standard.

Will be interesting to see how the Android system develops over time. I suspect it won't be anywhere near as frequent as Tesla OTA updates, but hopefully it will be updated more than legacy cars.

Reactions: GSP and Neilio
240 & 280 miles respectively are a 15% difference. Not much in it.

I suppose so, but to me just giving figures as fact is a bit missleading. Someone will go to the buy page and see a different figure

This isnt some opinion down the pub, it's an actual comparison by "an influencer". I just dislike the cavalier holier than though attitude.

Or... you know, dont do the stats.....

Car Wow did a decent review. Its quick, less range than a Tesla 3

More a typical high end car. Ive had the XC90 T8 and it was a beautiful car to sit in.
I do like the look
It will do well if they price it competitively and charging network is available

Car Wow did a decent review. Its quick, less range than a Tesla 3

More a typical high end car. Ive had the XC90 T8 and it was a beautiful car to sit in.
I do like the look
It will do well if they price it competitively and charging network is available

You can already configure them at polestar.com. In the US at least it’s considerably more expensive than a dual motor Model 3, which is partially offset by the federal tax credit.

According to their website deliveries begin in September and I’m looking forward to seeing them on the road.

• Informative
You can already configure them at polestar.com. In the US at least it’s considerably more expensive than a dual motor Model 3, which is partially offset by the federal tax credit.

According to their website deliveries begin in September and I’m looking forward to seeing them on the road.

£630 a month with 15000mpa here. Weirdly it didn’t show the deposit but I think it’s £1000 down.

In the Autogefuhl review Thomas the Dude mentions Apple CarPlay coming soon to the Polestar

I really do like the look of the car inside and out, but there are 3 things stopping me switching from the Model 3

1 - it’s a bit too late for my company scheme timescales, I had to order something
2 - the range whilst close is unlikely to be matching the 3
3 - no dedicated charging network

What is really exciting though is that if this is the next generation coming through, the choice and quality in 3 years should be a further level forward, and maybe by then there will be other LR versions, including a model 3 LR+ etc.

The next 3 years really is the test of whether the UK can sort out charging infrastructure, otherwise lots of manufacturers will be squeaking.