Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 Review by FullyCharged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>> It's difficult to defend a vehicle manufacturers quality when they can't get panel fitments and even PAINT correct

They got it correct with my vehicle. Deal with it.
Please don't say "deal with it" That sounds wrong.

Look, no one is complain gin about what Tesla are doing. They are a breath of fresh are to the car industry. They are doing things differently and without them the EV scene would look a lot poorer (ironically it would almost certainly not have spawned the polestar) however, it doesn't take a great deal of research to realise their build quality and quality control are not up to the standards of the rest of the car industry.

I can appreciate people wishing to slavishly defend Tesla, it's an iPhone/fanboi type of brand. However if we REALLY care about the company as well as erasing them for what they do we should acknowledge what they struggle with. It's fine for the next few years when normal car manufacturers are so far behind on volume, battery tech and charging infrastructure. However if we accept the poor build quality now, once the other manufacturers, who haven proven they can build cars, catch up the company would struggle. If charge points and speeds, and battery tech was equal in a Tesla and a Merc for example, and the pricing is currently similar. People would go for the better built car which would certainly be the Merc.

battery efficency is something no reviewers have touched on. Bjorn Nyland needs to get this tested to see if this is another etron or eqc :D
This is going to become more important as EVs become the norm. It's something Tesla seem to be streets ahead on. Compare, say, a Model X long range with a Jaguar iPace. Both have the same size battery, yet one returns MUCH better range. Also is capable of much faster charging speeds. For the moment it's not an issue beaches the "wow" factor of moving from ICE to EV when it come to fuel economy will allows be there but soon people will start asking why some cars are more efficient than others.

Reactions: EVMeister
I agree with those saying that competition from more high-quality entrants to the EV market can only be a good thing. Unfortunately, I think all of them will meet with limited success until they get a charging network to rival Tesla’s.

Most non-EV owners I talk to are intrigued by the notion of EVs, but they write them off because they perceive charging to be a nightmare and the cars too expensive for practical range.

Reactions: GSP and Neilio
I think the Polestar 2 looks fantastic. For me it's an insta-no however because it doesn't come with the supercharger network behind it. Having come from a PHEV into my 3 I know how bad the third party networks are re: reliability, and I just wouldn't chance it yet. In a couple of years, it might be an entirely different proposition.

re: build quality, quality control does seem to be the problem. My 3 has a very very small paint blemish but is otherwise spot on, even panel gaps, no rattles / creaks etc., but I have seen some cars that are pretty atrocious.

I think it looks great and it's good that there are starting to be more viable options out there. My neighbour has ordered one as his next company car, no delivery date yet, but I'm looking forward to having a good look over it and a ride out in it.

I took him out in the Model 3 when I first got that, he thought the car was great, but picked up on the road noise compared to his current PHEV Merc. You can bet the build quality will be better on the Polestar, paint certainly has to be, I've got around the same amount of stone chips on this car in 10k compared to the BMW I handed back with 40k!

Android auto is the only thing that puts me off to be honest, Robert may have liked it, but I thought it looked really basic, but then I'm not a fan of the Android interface anyway, it just looks and feels a bit cheap. That said, I'm not a fan of CarPlay either btw, it's just not something I need.

Reactions: pow216
So, the worse multimedia thing is entirely, utterly incorrect. Android auto is superb and superior to Teslas mutlimedia.

The extra cost is for build quality I assume. You're getting a product that will be assembled correctly. I imagine they'll even know how to paint it correctly!

Performance and range you have a point, but the differences aren't that dramatic and you're paying for amore practical car.

Slower charging/less charging opportunities is the killer really. At the moment nothing can get anywhere near the supercharger network, for speed, practicality and, surprisingly, build quality (I'm not saying they are ultra reliable but seem to be more robust than most third party chargers, which always seem to have at least one per bank not working)

FWIW i'm not a fan of androids UI, it's just me, I like the UI from Tesla, yes it's similar and yes the same types of functions are done, just like android vs apple, you will have fans of both because that is what they get used to and it's a personal preference. I know people will say oh but it's a car you don't need to know about what runs the interface etc they'll work it's the car what matters - today's EV's are ALL about the interface, it has taken a while but auto manufacturers are realising modern cars and especially EV's need to have good interfaces for the drivers to use, it is what gets sales.

In the near future I can see people choosing vehicles partly based on the software the car will run because hardware (the cars) will probably be so similar to each other- the iphone effect where one device shows an improvement then it's competitor releases that improvement and another on top which makes the 1st company to improve and so on ...
You can start to see it with the Polestar 2 it is definitely aimed as an M3 competitor with some refinements in areas but lacking in others, wait until the Y comes worldwide polestar will probably have a crossover SUV on the cards to compete. In the end it's all good for us, we get innovation and change at an accelerated rate and ICE cars will start to dwindle.

I think it looks great and it's good that there are starting to be more viable options out there. My neighbour has ordered one as his next company car, no delivery date yet, but I'm looking forward to having a good look over it and a ride out in it.

I took him out in the Model 3 when I first got that, he thought the car was great, but picked up on the road noise compared to his current PHEV Merc. You can bet the build quality will be better on the Polestar, paint certainly has to be, I've got around the same amount of stone chips on this car in 10k compared to the BMW I handed back with 40k!

Android auto is the only thing that puts me off to be honest, Robert may have liked it, but I thought it looked really basic, but then I'm not a fan of the Android interface anyway, it just looks and feels a bit cheap. That said, I'm not a fan of CarPlay either btw, it's just not something I need.
TBF CarPlay can't be "something you need" if you have a model 3, which doesn't support it.

It's the oddest argument, but I understand it as apple fanboys don't speak rationally about mobile phone interfaces.

• Disagree
Reactions: Andrew_SE23
It's not a bad looking car by any means, but inevitably when these BEVs are based on an existing chassis, they tend to look similar in terms of profile, height etc. and that also affects efficiency.

There seems to be only a handful of press cars being used for these reviews and you'd expect the panel gaps and overall build quality to be good with them. The real test as to whether the Polestar 2 is going to be any good in the real world is once they've sold some to the general public and they've all had a few thousand miles put on them. Then there's the question of whether Geely can build enough of them to satisfy the demand they create for it.

For me, if the Polestar 2 had been released at the same time as the Model 3, I might have taken a serious look at it. On paper and in real life I still think the Model 3 is more attractive and I suspect the Polestar isn't as rewarding to drive, but for a lot of people shopping for a BEV in this price range, it will be a strong contender.

I don't believe it's any kind of threat to Model 3 sales at the moment, because demand outstrips supply and will do for a while.
It's a win-win if anything.

• Love
Reactions: GSP and EVMeister
Competition can only be a good thing for the consumer. Tesla does appear to have some quality control problems which seem to be the main complaints of the car, most people seem delighted with the car if they're lucky enough to get a good one from the factory. Tesla are getting away with poor QC as there are no real alternatives in the sector that can match practicality, range, performance and ease of charging so the demand is still greater than supply as the benefits outweigh some small (in most cases) fit and finish issues. The only way QC will greatly improve is if Tesla start to lose sales because the competition can provide a similar package yet better built. Will be interesting to see if the Munich factory with the German reputation of quality cars is ahead of the US builds. Once BMW, Audi etc get all electric versions of their popular cars such as 3 series and A4 Tesla are going to need to be far ahead to win sales against the German giants with their known quality and sales/service infrastructure they already have in place.

Reactions: Neilio
TBF CarPlay can't be "something you need" if you have a model 3, which doesn't support it.

It's the oddest argument, but I understand it as apple fanboys don't speak rationally about mobile phone interfaces.

It wasn't something I needed on my previous car that could have it, don't get the big deal about it personally.

I'm allowed to not like the Android UI, I've had a couple of them as work phones, it's really not for me. So I guess that makes me an Apple fanboy?

I'm perfectly rational about phones / cars / whatever else thanks, you are the one coming across as defensive on here because someone has an opinion that differs to yours.

Reactions: pow216
It wasn't something I needed on my previous car that could have it, don't get the big deal about it personally.

I'm allowed to not like the Android UI, I've had a couple of them as work phones, it's really not for me. So I guess that makes me an Apple fanboy?

I'm perfectly rational about phones / cars / whatever else thanks, you are the one coming across as defensive on here because someone has an opinion that differs to yours.
You are indeed allowed to not like the android UI, whilst I prefer android auto to apple carplay, I paradoxically prefer the iPhone user interface, having both types of device.
I'm not sure what the relevance of not liking it is in chosing a new vehicle however. Up until about 10 years ago, it was rare to have an infotainment screen at all. I know some people are keen on aesthetics, and it's fair enough, but I don't think I ever once heard anybody say they didn't like a car because they didn't like the speedo dial, or the buttons on the 8-track. Which is the same as complaining about having Android as the infotainment OS. it's genuinely shocked me that so many people on here have cited "android UI" as a reason to not like the car. It's really strange.

Okay that was almost the biggest waste of 17 minutes I've had all week.

Apart from some good camera work and nice accompanying music the review was the biggest steaming pile of shyte I've seen in a while. Which is a massive shame as I do like Robert Llewellyn and other reviews the FullyCharged team have been pretty decent.

Most of the review was about him gushing over a new car without any real explanation why. The overuse of baseless adjectives is EXQUISITELY infuriating. So the few things that you take away from the whole video are;
Some random farm shop has EV charging
Bit of background of Volvo / Polestar (plus the debate over its Chinese manufacture)
It's comparable to the Model 3 (and unsurprisingly the non-Tesla charging networks suck)
Robert likes the build quality (shopping bag hooks) and people have a fetish for bronze brake calipers
The boot doesn't open/close when you are too close
and finally, fullycharge needs more Patreon members

Seriously...
tenor.gif

Last edited:
You are indeed allowed to not like the android UI, whilst I prefer android auto to apple carplay, I paradoxically prefer the iPhone user interface, having both types of device.
I'm not sure what the relevance of not liking it is in chosing a new vehicle however. Up until about 10 years ago, it was rare to have an infotainment screen at all. I know some people are keen on aesthetics, and it's fair enough, but I don't think I ever once heard anybody say they didn't like a car because they didn't like the speedo dial, or the buttons on the 8-track. Which is the same as complaining about having Android as the infotainment OS. it's genuinely shocked me that so many people on here have cited "android UI" as a reason to not like the car. It's really strange.

If it helps, I also don't really like a lot of Merc interiors, feels like they've got an OAP in to try and make them look futuristic. Would certainly put me off having a Merc given pre-covid I'd be spending 2 hours+ a day starting at it :)

Not saying I wouldn't have a Polestar 2, I've already said I think they look great, but the OS does put me off, probably not a show stopper though. Given what a big part of the car it is these days, especially in an EV where it's basically a phone with wheels, I don't think that's unreasonable.

I've not used it personally though, so it's only based on what I've seen in videos, have used CarPlay, really don't see the big deal about that?

If it helps, I also don't really like a lot of Merc interiors, feels like they've got an OAP in to try and make them look futuristic. Would certainly put me off having a Merc given pre-covid I'd be spending 2 hours+ a day starting at it :)

Not saying I wouldn't have a Polestar 2, I've already said I think they look great, but the OS does put me off, probably not a show stopper though. Given what a big part of the car it is these days, especially in an EV where it's basically a phone with wheels, I don't think that's unreasonable.

I've not used it personally though, so it's only based on what I've seen in videos, have used CarPlay, really don't see the big deal about that?
I can't argue at all about the Merc interior it's a very good point and one of the reasons I never fell in love with my current car. Maybe I came across as too strongly trying to defend my option and I apologise for that. I just found it strange so many would complain about Android auto .

I guess the infotainment interface will end up being a deciding factor in the further, just not something I had considered