Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 Review by FullyCharged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Polestar 2 looks fantastic. For me it's an insta-no however because it doesn't come with the supercharger network behind it. Having come from a PHEV into my 3 I know how bad the third party networks are re: reliability, and I just wouldn't chance it yet. In a couple of years, it might be an entirely different proposition.

re: build quality, quality control does seem to be the problem. My 3 has a very very small paint blemish but is otherwise spot on, even panel gaps, no rattles / creaks etc., but I have seen some cars that are pretty atrocious.

I have also experienced it on my hide, problem is most ChadeMo and CCS stations have 1-2 outlets and about 50% of the time are out of commission, some get vandalized when near ghettos. We have had some very close calls, the lower trunk space in my MS is still filled with every 220V US adapter on the market along with a 25' ext. cord and waterproof connection box.

Reactions: EVMeister
You are indeed allowed to not like the android UI, whilst I prefer android auto to apple carplay, I paradoxically prefer the iPhone user interface, having both types of device.
I'm not sure what the relevance of not liking it is in chosing a new vehicle however. Up until about 10 years ago, it was rare to have an infotainment screen at all. I know some people are keen on aesthetics, and it's fair enough, but I don't think I ever once heard anybody say they didn't like a car because they didn't like the speedo dial, or the buttons on the 8-track. Which is the same as complaining about having Android as the infotainment OS. it's genuinely shocked me that so many people on here have cited "android UI" as a reason to not like the car. It's really strange.

If you are going to use something relatively frequently, it's valuable to have it easy to use.
Infotainment will be important to some people.

For example, I'm still deciding what EV to buy later this year. One thing in Tesla's favor is that it has express up on all of its windows, while alternatives only have express up on the driver's window. There are a lot of people who just turn on the climate control so only care about the driver's window because they enjoy waiting in line to waste money on coffee and junk food.

Personally, that choosing a car based on exterior appearance is _really_strange since you can't see it when you use the car.

Reactions: Banksy888
I can't argue at all about the Merc interior it's a very good point and one of the reasons I never fell in love with my current car. Maybe I came across as too strongly trying to defend my option and I apologise for that. I just found it strange so many would complain about Android auto .

I guess the infotainment interface will end up being a deciding factor in the further, just not something I had considered

No problem at all.

I personally like the Tesla OS, it's simple and clean to use. CarPlay looks like a cut down version of an iPad from when I've used it and from the videos of Android Auto, it just looks a bit basic and 'cheap' - completely subjective of course, just not my cup of tea.

Never got the Merc obsession with having chrome everywhere, really not a fan

Reactions: Neilio
I tried to charge my M3 LR at the Ionity station that was shown in the video (MK). I couldn't get it to work. The Polar didn't work either. So I trundled up the M1 to Northampton SC where it just worked.

This is 2020, folks. Sort yourselves out.
Charging right now reminds me of the early days of Bluetooth or wifi where getting anything to pair with anything was a chore never as compatible as it should have been. These days I find things much improved and generally BT and Wifi just work most of the time. i am hoping charging will be like that one day. in the meantime the SC network is like having a wired set of headphones and a network cable in your back pocket to fall back on that no one else has.

Comfort is a matter of opinion. I find the Model 3 more comfortable than my I-PACE. I don't sit in it hating its interior either, I appreciate the minimalism. I'm a millennial so I guess I don't have a fondness or attraction towards "traditional" interiors and am used to large screens being a big part of my life. So I'm not missing that traditional feeling when I'm driving the Model 3 at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrobins64495
[QUOTE My M3 was assembled correctly, at no extra cost.

It’s great that your car has been built properly. However, it still has a very spartan interior and is not nearly as refined and comfortable as a car should be at that price. Unless it’s different from every other M3 out there.

The "spartan interior" is a design choice ... which many of us find is a step forward over the features more usually found in quality cars. In other words, for those of us who prefer the style, this makes it better not worse! I have to say I was blown away by the interior and when I get into other cars they invariably feel outdated in comparison. I realise this is a personal thing but I don't think the design aspect can be put alongside, for example, questionable build quality as something that makes the car lacking in comparision to other vehicles of similar price.

The "spartan interior" is a design choice ... which many of us find is a step forward over the features more usually found in quality cars. In other words, for those of us who prefer the style, this makes it better not worse! I have to say I was blown away by the interior and when I get into other cars they invariably feel outdated in comparison. I realise this is a personal thing but I don't think the design aspect can be put alongside, for example, questionable build quality as something that makes the car lacking in comparision to other vehicles of similar price.

I second this. The interior is a breath of fresh air and a step away from the usual nonsense that cars have now. It’s one of the sellers for me.

The Fully Charged review does not mention Autopilot or over the air updates. Those are strange omissions.

I love my M3. Only thing I have noticed so far that I don’t like is that after a couple of hours in it the seat isn’t very comfortable.

Is it just me that gets overly wound up by their inaccurasies? I mean... Whats the point of listing statistics if you are going to get them wrong?

They took "real range" from EV databse and then compared it to estimaed "real range" for polestar 2 ... Where the disclaimer is clrealy stated Polestar 2 "All specifications on this page with a * are still estimates."

So why??? Why do this???

Plus why compare it to the 3 at all? its more of a Y competitor, both are "pre-order" in UK right now if you want to get picky about availability.

Also no closeup on the "much better interiour" ... No metion of autopilot/cruise control functions .... No mension of efficiency of HVAC (important in an EV) ... no mention of any kind of built in dashcam....

Why even bother?

That's why I don't bother with "Fully Charged" utterly BBC crap IMHO

The Fully Charged review does not mention Autopilot or over the air updates. Those are strange omissions.

I love my M3. Only thing I have noticed so far that I don’t like is that after a couple of hours in it the seat isn’t very comfortable.

I believe the android system in the polestar is not beta software as they’ve actually finished it unlike the Tesla system. That said, does the Polestar not have over the air updates?

I too felt it was an overly positive review.

Mediocre performance, a UI that reminds me of a speak n spell and a skeuomorphic drive selector. Still at least no flappy paddles to change the regen.

Tesla have made many brave design decisions, and I love that. P2 though seems to me a car for people quite risk averse. A whole lot less exciting.

Is it just me that gets overly wound up by their inaccurasies? I mean... Whats the point of listing statistics if you are going to get them wrong?

They took "real range" from EV databse and then compared it to estimaed "real range" for polestar 2 ... Where the disclaimer is clrealy stated Polestar 2 "All specifications on this page with a * are still estimates."

So why??? Why do this???

Plus why compare it to the 3 at all? its more of a Y competitor, both are "pre-order" in UK right now if you want to get picky about availability.

Also no closeup on the "much better interiour" ... No metion of autopilot/cruise control functions .... No mension of efficiency of HVAC (important in an EV) ... no mention of any kind of built in dashcam....

Why even bother?

I agree they often get very basic facts wrong and for someone in the know it seems people on here know more than them often. That said the presentation is usually good!

Mediocre performance, a UI that reminds me of a speak n spell and a skeuomorphic drive selector. Still at least no flappy paddles to change the regen.

Tesla have made many brave design decisions, and I love that. P2 though seems to me a car for people quite risk averse. A whole lot less exciting.

i wouldn’t call its performance Mediocre. In some reviews it’s hitting 60 in 4 seconds which given its a heavy lump isn’t too shabby

Reactions: Type2 and Hurricane

I honestly think you have a heavy bit of Tesla bias here. I couldn't even slightly agree with anything in your first two paragraphs.

The only thing I agree with you on is the risk averse thing. Then again, if your idea of taking risks is spending £50000 on a car that they can't even paint properly against one based on a solid design from a company with an obsession with driver safety...