Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police Call: Child in Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a problem with policing, not a problem with reporting.
True, however there is now the question of whether to call the police or just work with the criminals. For the most part the criminals will only take your money, while the police in the U.S. have a tendency to shoot first, kill your pets, and maybe you.

Maybe I'm crazy? Today after picking up some pizza I put my daughter back in the rear seat while a mom in a van next to me was just staring at me. My daughter was squirming a bit so I used it as an excuse to say "GET IN THE TRUNK!" loud enough that I know the soccer mom heard me. I laughed myself out of the parking lot while she gave me the death stare.

Most reactions are "That's cool!" from random strangers in parking lots that see it and make comments about how they used to have seats like that growing up.

- - - Updated - - -

But being loaded into the back of this?

View attachment 49092
Why people WHY!??!
The crime there is not having the hatch tinted. ;)

Taking my son home from the town's rec center after martial arts class and apparently someone decided that I must be abusing/abducting him since I put him in "the trunk". Apparently they called 911 with my tag and the police called me on the cell telling me to come back to the rec center, where there were several cop cars waiting for me(screen grab from dash cam as I drove back). As soon as I opened the hatch of course it all became clear to them.

2015-07-24_22-52-11.jpg

Taking my son home from the town's rec center after martial arts class and apparently someone decided that I must be abusing/abducting him since I put him in "the trunk". Apparently they called 911 with my tag and the police called me on the cell telling me to come back to the rec center, where there were several cops waiting for me(screen grab from dash cam as I drove back). As soon as I opened the hatch of course it all became clear to them.

Your much more reasonable than I'd have been if I was forced to turn around over something so absurd. :)

Jeff

I get the concern but I mean, if they thought there was a real danger shouldn't the response have been more than a "sir, could you kindly drive back here with the kids you've just abducted? Kthx"

And if not, then offer to meet you at your destination

I get the concern but I mean, if they thought there was a real danger shouldn't the response have been more than a "sir, could you kindly drive back here with the kids you've just abducted? Kthx"

And if not, then offer to meet you at your destination

That was almost exactly my wife's facebook post:

2015-07-24_23-25-45.jpg

EDIT

Just for kicks, I pulled the dash cam footage to see how I left the rec center. Be prepared for a riveting adventure!

YouTube

I can see how this would be mistaken for a child abduction, what with all the screaming of the child and the breakneck speed I tear out of there with.. /s

Note that the footage started after I was already in the car. Here is the break down of events as they occurred.

0:00 - child in 3rd row, buckling up. Me in driver's seat looking at my phone or something...
0:19 - I finally buckle up
0:46 - I ask the child shaped object "You good?" to confirm he is buckled up
1:00 - I pull out of the space and speed out of the parking lot at a blistering 9mph

Lucky for the accuser it took me so long to pull out .. plenty of time to write down the tag.

Last edited:
To all the people that are applauding the frivolous police calls, please know that "1984" was not meant to be an instruction manual.

We've become a society of knee-jerkers that run to the government for all our needs rather than engaging our brains first.

+1 to the comments of not tying up emergency services with "upright citizens brigade" foolishness.

Well, being a direct victim of this idiocy, I'll just say that I don't hate the accuser. Yes there were 100 green flags and one red flag in this event (at least in my case) and that one red flag was due to the accuser seeing something that he has never been seen before (someone putting a child "in the trunk" of an unusual car). In this particular case there was about a 1.5 foot dip behind the car which made me have to pick him up and put him in the back instead of him climbing in himself which is probably what red-flagged this guys brain and caused him to 911 me. Yes there were 100 other reasons to not, mainly me taking a full minute to even move the car after getting in the driver seat.

We all got a good laugh out of it, and the accuser feels like an idiot I'm sure, but it is what it is. I'm not going to get angry about it really, but that's just me. The police were very polite and interested in the car. The only real negative of the event was my son getting upset when I told him we had to go show the police that you have a seat back here. He did break down and cry thinking he had done something wrong and not put his seat belt on fast enough or something, but I should have presented it differently to him.

Edit: and I'll mention that when I say "he", the accuser in this case was a father of similar aged children as my son. I didn't interact with him at all, but I'm 99% sure he was at the scene with his children in the background.

Last edited:
While at my father-in-law's in the U.S. last week, I saw a segment on a morning "news" show all about how to break into a car to save a child left in a hot car. While this is a slightly different situation, I wonder how long it will be before a Model S has a window broken to "save" a child left strapped into a rear seat (with the A/C running) for two minutes.

If you want to listen to a great talk on the subject of wisdom being replaced by knee-jerk rules, and hear a horrendous story of an innocent parent being persecuted, watch this by Barry Schwartz at TED in 2009. If you are impatient for the parenting story, start at 5:45, but I hope you will listen to the whole gem.

That was almost exactly my wife's facebook post:

View attachment 88494

I would think if they tracked down your cell number from your license plate number, they also knew your car was a Tesla Model S. Next time (or for anyone else in this situation) perhaps you could suggest they look up the Tesla Model S online, to see that it has the option for the extra row of seats for kids in the back, and save you the inconvenience of having to go back.

While at my father-in-law's in the U.S. last week, I saw a segment on a morning "news" show all about how to break into a car to save a child left in a hot car. While this is a slightly different situation, I wonder how long it will be before a Model S has a window broken to "save" a child left strapped into a rear seat (with the A/C running) for two minutes.

And with kids someone might make the argument that kids should never be left alone in a car anyway. But what about a dog?

I am a very responsible dog owner. Before I had the model S, I would, on very rare occasion, and only if it was not too hot, stop for a five minute run into the grocery store with the dog in the car. If I did this I always had the air conditioning cranked all the way down before I exited the car, cracked the windows, and was back, literally, in under seven or eight minutes. I never did this if the temperature was very warm. I'd come back to the car, the dog was fine, the car was cool--no problem.

Now, in the model S, while I could actually keep the a/c running, I haven't considered doing this because of the risk that some good Samaritan would break my Model S windows to get my dog out of the air conditioning and out into the heat.

It's a crazy society in which we live.