Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police Call: Child in Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably someone just caught a glimpse from a distance of child being lifted into the back and the trunk closing so it caught their attention. Then they watched the vehicle drive off and it caused more concern given the look of the vehicle and from a distance you couldn't see the kid buckled into a seat. I applaud the person who called the police. There's not much worse for a parent than an abducted child.

Yes, but you wouldn't say that if it happened to you. As this might happen again and again...

I didn't mean to imply they should not follow up. Simply when they see it is a Model S and child is appropriately belted in back they they can approach it as they normally would. Not as if someone had thrown someone into a refuser trunk which can never be normal.

Last edited:
My uncle who was a professional photographer needed a black bag but didn't have one with him at the family reunion. I locked him in the trunk and stood by to release him when he had moved the film around as necessary. This was in a small town in Kentucky and before he could finish and get out, someone had called the police. Everyone had a good chuckle.

Probably someone just caught a glimpse from a distance of child being lifted into the back and the trunk closing so it caught their attention. Then they watched the vehicle drive off and it caused more concern given the look of the vehicle and from a distance you couldn't see the kid buckled into a seat. I applaud the person who called the police. There's not much worse for a parent than an abducted child.

Yes, but you wouldn't say that if it happened to you. As this might happen again and again...

Why not? All that "happened" was a phone call from the police and it was straightened out. No big deal. Life's too short to get "pissed" over thing like this. In fact, I would thank the police officer and tell him/her to thank the person who reported it. If it happened to me, it would have been my child they were concerned about. That's a good thing. I also doubt it will happen "again and again". But if it does, better safe than sorry. Best to over report possible child abductions than under report them.

Ok, I can see calling the cops if you see kids being loaded in the back of this:
free-candy-van.jpg

But being loaded into the back of this?

IMG_2595.jpg

Why people WHY!??!

My thoughts exactly.

And it didn't seem from the OP's post that the person calling it in was concerned about kidnapping, but more about a clueless parent letting their kid ride in the trunk. Model S is still new. Once it gets more common, the cop on the other side of the line will get it, and after that the calls will be fewer.

So phone in suspicious/dangerous behavior. Better safe than sorry.

OP was lucky that he lives in Canada. Had this incident happened in US there is a good chance that the driver would have been arrested and the kids taken to foster homes and it would have taken years of legal fight to get them back.

Don't think that kind of travesty hasn't happened. There was a well publicized incident of an IT executive (mom) who decided not to disturb her sleeping kid after pumping gas, went inside to pay for the gas and what happened next was absolute travesty.

OP was lucky that he lives in Canada. Had this incident happened in US there is a good chance that the driver would have been arrested and the kids taken to foster homes and it would have taken years of legal fight to get them back.

Don't think that kind of travesty hasn't happened. There was a well publicized incident of an IT executive (mom) who decided not to disturb her sleeping kid after pumping gas, went inside to pay for the gas and what happened next was absolute travesty.

Link to story?

Why not? All that "happened" was a phone call from the police and it was straightened out. No big deal. Life's too short to get "pissed" over thing like this. In fact, I would thank the police officer and tell him/her to thank the person who reported it. If it happened to me, it would have been my child they were concerned about. That's a good thing. I also doubt it will happen "again and again". But if it does, better safe than sorry. Best to over report possible child abductions than under report them.

Everybody says things like that. Better safe than sorry. Better to over report. Blah blah blah. Where do you draw the line? How little is your time worth that this wouldn't bother you? At the extreme end of things, what if the next call in line for the officer was an actual emergency and he was too late because he was too busy reporting to this non-issue? If the bystander was so concerned, why didn't they get a little closer before getting the police involved? Why not approach the car and ask a few non-threatening questions about what you've just seen? If you're handing juice to a smiling kid, you're probably not a child abductor. If that's the criteria for abduction, I could probably make 5 calls to the police every time I walk into the grocery store. Personally, I don't like my tax money, my time, or the officer's time being wasted because somebody was too lazy to take a few seconds out of their own time to look a little closer. As somebody else mentioned, if this happened in the LA area, you've likely just invited an innocent person to have guns pointed at them. To make matters worse, the LAPD actually have a decent track record of shooting innocent people.

How far away would you have to be to not see that it's a glass hatchback and not a metal trunk?? Huge difference IMO.

exactly. It would seem obvious that a hatchback would be a poor choice for abducting kids. They'd just climb over the seats and meet you up front. I kinda figured that someone seeing a kid being put into the back of a hatchback (or SUV with a similar back end situation) wouldn't think twice about the fact that a kid was being put back there, unless maybe you were physically tying up/restraining the kids (maybe they saw the seat belts as a tie up?!) Heck, I could see kids wanting to enter a vehicle like that through the rear just so they could climb over the rear seats. I probably did that as a kid. I'm pretty sure I also slept in the back of a roadtripping SUV as a kid too since it was more comfortable. Putting kids into the rear of any hatchback/suv vehicle by itself shouldn't seem out of place without further investigation/information.

Maybe it was someone just wanting to harass a Model S owner.

I don't know about any of you, but I would be very "pissed" if I was handcuffed in a parking lot while my family looks on because of a harmless feature of my car. Certainly you think, "Oh, that would never happen." But it does. Almost arrested for MS feature | Forums | Tesla Motors The guy was lucky the police acted rationally and without guns drawn, in this case, and that the sergeant that came out to clean up the mess was familiar with the vehicle.

Calling the police is not always a harmless action. You're putting that family at risk when you call the police reporting a child abduction. In my opinion, you better have a damned better explanation for putting my family at risk than "I saw you strap your kids into car seats in the trunk."

I've seen a lot of comments -- my kids laughed once telling me that they were waiving at an older couple behind us and saw them exclaiming: "Who puts their kids in the truck of a car like that?!"

It's always a shock to people (sometimes more shocking than the frunk) when I show off the car, so it's not surprising that some people would get confused by it, and call the cops as a precaution. I don't mind, though it hasn't happened to me (AFAIK).