TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll: Aero covers - will you use them?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by KarenRei, Aug 22, 2017.

?

Do you plan to use the M3 aero covers?

1. Always

107 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Only on long trips

92 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. While I'll be getting 18" wheels, I never plan to use the covers.

23 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. I won't be getting 18" wheels.

31 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Unsure

32 vote(s)
    11.2%
  1. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Another thing I'm curious about. do you plan to use the M3 aero covers?

For me, I'm voting "always" - but not to save me money on power and charge faster (although it would). Style trends in vehicles change based on what people are accustomed to. I want people to be used to seeing aerodynamic wheels, so that demand for better vehicle aerodynamics rises.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  2. kbM3

kbM3 Member

I actually like the look. I am only nervous that so many people seem to hate it. Hopefully you are correct, and after time it grows on people.

• Like x 2
  3. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

Part of the problem is the dull, dark color. On the white car I intend, it will just look cheap and dirty. I'm a "never Aero". BTW, we have doctors to help remove things that grow on people. :rolleyes:

• Like x 2
  4. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'll wait to see them in person. I like the look of the wheels under the covers, and knowing that I have the option of switching to them makes me more comfortable ordering the 18" wheels. However, knowing myself I'll probably never bother to take the covers off and after a week forget all about them.

• Like x 6
  5. codex57

codex57 Member

Hmmm, that is true... I voted "only on long trips", but I do think they're ugly... now. But it is true that after seeing stuff for a while, you get used to it and then start to think it's not bad.

6. Bad Horse

Bad Horse Member

I've come around to them, unless I find I can't stand them they'll be on all the time. I think they look great on midnight silver metallic

• Like x 1
  7. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

I do too, but I'm well aware that I'm more into aerodynamics than the average person, so I'm not the best judge ;) I'd have skirted wheels if I could.

• Funny x 1
  8. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Unsure. It'll either be Always or Only on long trips as I don't like how they look on blue; at least in photos, in person they might look OK.

I'm hoping somebody (hint hint @Tsportline) comes out with aftermarket aero covers in different colors & styles.

• Like x 2
  9. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Most of my daily commute is highway so I'll always use them, assuming they really are covers - which I don't think has been conclusively proven yet.

10. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

I voted always but I might end up being someone who runs aeros in winter - maybe to help compensate for heater and cold weather range losses (shrug) and aeros off in summer...cause the car might look better (shrug again).
    I'm an east coast person who enjoys the seasons.
    I'm not sure how much I'll worry about these aeros once I get the car though. I'm currently decided on the standard black color and think the aeros look good with that and the midnight silver.

11. DR61

DR61 Member

I voted 'long trips' but it may be 'always'; depends on how it looks in person with my color choice (blue). Also I may modify the aero cover colors because I dislike very dark wheels. I like the concept however (maximum efficiency).

12. FlyingKiwi

FlyingKiwi Member

They're hideous..so only on long trips if they actually make a significant difference like being able to skip a charging stop.

• Like x 1
  13. Stirfelt

Stirfelt Member

I voted "Unsure," and that describes my situation. I've never seen one, except in pictures.

By the time my number comes up, they may have other wheels? Hopefully other exterior colors?
    (I owned a 2010 Prius and never took the covers off .... even tho the wheel was not bad looking).

14. tony b

tony b Member

i voted only on road trips, but i might use them more often than that. I think people are over-reacting with their opinions of how they look. I agree that once you see them and become more familiar with them, no biggie

• Like x 2
  15. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

From what I've seen so far, the underneath wheels look like 100% to me. I voted for only on long trips, but if it's not significant I may not bother. I want 18" for the following reasons :
    1. Softer/more compliant ride with 18" vs 19"
    2. Save $1,500
    3. Option to use aero if worth it
    4. 3rd party cover offerings might be cool, who knows
    5. Cheaper to replace tires

• Like x 5
  16. vfrmike

vfrmike Member

I voted undecided. My weekly commute is 400-500 miles and the efficiency of the Aero covers will be beneficial. However, I'm just not (currently) into how they look.

17. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

I might take them off for the winter, if they increase accumulation of snow.

But if the report of 10% improved range is correct, they will be on as much as possible.

Thank you kindly.

• Informative x 1
  18. C141medic

C141medic Member

Depends how easy they are to remove. If they're true "hubcaps" I would hope they pop on/off easy. On the other hand that can be bad if it's too easy for someone to take them.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. lirandy

lirandy Member

Unsure, I will wait until my M3 with aero wheels in front of me to decide

• Like x 1
  20. kenbefound

kenbefound Member

I'll give them a shot. If I don't like them I may get a set of 19" rims/tires (maybe the 5 double-spokes from the S) for Summer use and keep the 18" for Winter.

• Love x 1