Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Are you buying the new roadster?

Are you buying the new roadster?

• Hell YES!! I would buy it at ANY price.

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Definitely Yes! $200 to $250k is a bargain for such performance!

Votes: 39 13.2%
  • Yes. I would sell my Model S/X/3 to get the roadster.

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Yes. It is expensive, but I would stretch my budget to get it.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • Not sure. Undecided.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • No. It is too expensive for me.

Votes: 140 47.5%
  • No. It is too small or not practical for me

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • No. I bet the performance still isn't as good as gasoline sport car.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • No. I don't believe in electric car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On pure specs it might beat any other car but what about the quality, the materials and everything else that these top of the line supercars bring? Tesla is not in the same league as any of these in terms of the quality and feel of the cars. 200K is cheap for this performance but 0-60 time is only part of the equation.
But then you have a nice gasoline car with beautiful interiors and exteriors, but no real performance compare to Tesla roadster. And yes, Tesla roadster probably won't have as nice interiors compare to the established makers, but it has performance. I guess that depends on which one you want, beauty or performance?

Believe me it's not all about performance. My cal t does 0-60 in 3.4, top speed 195. Guess how many times I've hit those numbers?

With normal weekend sporty driving you will not notice the difference between 3.4 and 1.9 and if you dare touch the top speed you'll quickly lose your licence and then no more fun!

But then you have a nice gasoline car with beautiful interiors and exteriors, but no real performance compare to Tesla roadster. And yes, Tesla roadster probably won't have as nice interiors compare to the established makers, but it has performance. I guess that depends on which one you want, beauty or performance?

Believe me it's not all about performance. My cal t does 0-60 in 3.4, top speed 195. Guess how many times I've hit those numbers?

With normal weekend sporty driving you will not notice the difference between 3.4 and 1.9 and if you dare touch the top speed you'll quickly lose your licence and then no more fun!

Exactly. That's my worry too. Of course I love the idea of the next gen Roadster. It's a huge win for EVs. But if I'm looking for the most fun, awesome, cool weekend car, would the Roadster actually be it? There are some other interesting options in that price range, which admittedly have considerably higher 0-60, lower top speed, etc., but when do those numbers actually matter in practice?

I've put down a deposit but I'm not sure it's a clear win for actual, realistic, how-am-I-going-to-drive-this? versus, say, a Huracan, R8, GT-R, 458/488, 911, etc.

I've had the Cal T for 2 years and over 9K miles Drive it on the weekends from London to Dublin, wine country in France, Alps, Italy. It's a GT car but unless you just want to drive somewhere for the afternoon and back home again, then a GT car is what you need. Open top driving (the Roadster is more like a Targa), luggage space for two (what's the trunk like on the roadster?) and really important, a roof that folds away with the push of a button. You shouldn't have to stop, unclip the roof and chuck it into the trunk. Also what space is left over in the trunk once you do this?

For those that say you can tell the difference in 0-60 in a car are not driving on city streets or winding roads with other people around. You rarely get the chance to do a standing full on 0-60 other than to your friends or at a track day.

Would have loved a Tesla GT!

Here's what a 250K GT car is

Exactly. That's my worry too. Of course I love the idea of the next gen Roadster. It's a huge win for EVs. But if I'm looking for the most fun, awesome, cool weekend car, would the Roadster actually be it? There are some other interesting options in that price range, which admittedly have considerably higher 0-60, lower top speed, etc., but when do those numbers actually matter in practice?

I've put down a deposit but I'm not sure it's a clear win for actual, realistic, how-am-I-going-to-drive-this? versus, say, a Huracan, R8, GT-R, 458/488, 911, etc.

If you are not the fastest, then you are 2nd at best! Sure, you could settle, but your bragging rights will suffer.:cool: As far as losing your drivers license, you can do that in any ole car.;) I can forgo the lack of rumble of the engine, and will happily embrace having to wear a flight suit (to keep the blood properly in my body) during acceleration.:D

I voted for "Undecided." It would be more accurate to say "It depends on what TSLA stock does over the next 3 years." I definitely want the new Roadster. But as of right now my Model S 85D is what I can afford.

Changed my vote from undecided to "none of the above". The reason is partly the cost (my kids object to Dad even thinking about spending so much on a car), but mostly it's that, as much as I'd love to have the new car, the original Roadster is really the right car for me. That is not related to size or practicality - the new car is clearly more practical than the original one - it's the intangible aspect of owning one of the classic, original cars. Nothing new can replace that, regardless how awesome it is.

Changed my vote from undecided to stretching my budget to get one.

Now - how many do you think have been reserved?

That's the $250,000 question. Just looked at the website, and reserving a Founders' Series is still an option. So somewhere under 1,000 of those have been reserved. Unless the website is inaccurate, which is, of course, not impossible.

I know of a person that reserved a Roadster for $50k, in the hopes that if things change he can just add another $200k to the reservation and bump up to a Founders' Series later. I kind of hope that if the number of slots of non-Founders' Series starts to shrink below the number of regular reservations, that Tesla will start trying to hard sell regular reservation holders on an upgrade to the Founders' Series by saying 'act now, or they'll be gone forever.'

On the other hand, seeing as I can't even get a configuration e-mail for my 3 in exchange for the $50k loan I'm giving them for the Roadster deposit -- I don't know how much faith I have in them doing something like that. And they may rightly decide that's not something they'd want to push hard on because it would be far more tempting to deposit that much money if that money sat in an interest bearing escrow account that wouldn't be wiped out by a bankruptcy.

So ultimately, I guess the answer is we'll have to wait for the 10Q and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Changed my vote from undecided to "none of the above". The reason is partly the cost (my kids object to Dad even thinking about spending so much on a car), but mostly it's that, as much as I'd love to have the new car, the original Roadster is really the right car for me. That is not related to size or practicality - the new car is clearly more practical than the original one - it's the intangible aspect of owning one of the classic, original cars. Nothing new can replace that, regardless how awesome it is.
With so many people wanting to drive the car or at least try it out, and not many people can afford it to buy it. I can see a business opportunity where you let people rent roadster by the hours.