Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Are you in favor or against U.S. doing more in Ukraine?

Are you in favor or against U.S. doing more in Ukraine?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear from you rspanner. Hopefully this would be more like the world against Putin, rather than a world in conflict with itself.
Sometimes all your options are bad ones. I’m not buying MREs and iodine pills quite yet, but the unease deepens. Escalation might be in the eye of the guy seeing his dreams of being the next Catherine the Great slipping away.

Reactions: Terminator857
I’m no foreign affairs expert, but why wouldn’t Ukraine end the war by accepting Putin’s offer of allowing the eastern separatists to remain their own republics and Ukraine remain a neutral country and never join NATO?

NATO is simply using them as a pawn, they talk a good game regarding helping Ukraine and whatnot yet they’re fully content on watching Putin demolish it.

Obviously it’s a complex issue but Ukraine is in a position where if they continue trying to gain membership into nato, they might not live long enough to see that happen.

I wouldn't accept that piece deal and I hope Ukraine doesn't either. They are a free country free to choose their own destiny. Is Russia going to pay restitution?

Changing subjects to drone army: You might find this switchblade drone interesting:
By that logic why is Iran sanctioned? Why did the US invade Iraq and Afghanistan? They are free countries and are free to choose their own destiny…
It’s not as black and white as you put it.

It’s a much more complex issue, imagine what the response from US would be if Mexico and china agreed to China building military bases in Mexico … near the US border. You think United States would stand idly by and allow it? Heck no! Mexico would get some sweet democracy delivered via drones.

> 100 Tactical Unmanned Aerial Systems;
Yes!, drone army on the way! :D

Quote: The new $800 million assistance package includes:
  • 800 Stinger anti-aircraft systems;
  • 2,000 Javelin, 1,000 light anti-armor weapons, and 6,000 AT-4 anti-armor systems;
  • 100 Tactical Unmanned Aerial Systems;

Reactions: MontyFloyd
If NATO is serious about its credibility, it should make a rule that anyone desiring membership would be under the protection of NATO.

Georgia learned its lesson when it was invaded by Russia in 2008 after it wanted to join NATO but without NATO's protection and it lost 20% of its territory as the result. Since then, it has been a neutral country with no wish to join NATO and it enjoys diplomatic relations with both the West and Russia.

Ukraine did not learn its lesson in 2014 when Russia invaded and took over Crimea. The financial penalty is a nice symbolic gesture but it's an incentive for those who want to do bad and just have to pay the fine.

NATO does not want to directly confront Russia so it encourages the expansion of NATO. If someone dies because of its ambition of expansion, it's the lowly pawn that is sacrificed and not NATO.

Thus, does Ukraine understand that it is an expendable pawn for NATO?
This is a good point, however fails to consider the 120 years of brutal history under Russian domination, especially the Holodomir.
Ukraine wanted to join not because it wanted too, but because it felt it had to for its very existence.

And guess what, because Ukraine was not in NATO, Russia attacked.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Ukraine is incredibly brave and will resist to the last man but they are weaker than Russia.
Ukraine has literally the home-field advantage.
In military engagements average out the defender has about a 6 to 1 advantage.

In this case, we have a highly motivated defender stopping a very un-motivated opponent, on top of freezing weather, tried troops, inadequate maintenance, non-existent supply lines, sniper and artillery attacks, and so on.
I have never, ever heard of platoons or squads of troops drop everything, including working tanks, and abandon them (for the farmers to claim!!)

What we are seeing is a rout of the attacking army, yet they are continuing to advance!

This is beyond bizarre, what happens in next couple of weeks will reveal who winner is.
(I predict first week of April is when we know)

Last edited:
I’m no foreign affairs expert, but why wouldn’t Ukraine end the war by accepting Putin’s offer of allowing the eastern separatists to remain their own republics and Ukraine remain a neutral country and never join NATO?
Because NATO has nothing to do with this?

Also: Minsk agreements - Wikipedia
This is a case of "fool me once, shame on you...". Ukraine isn't going to fall for this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.