Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] As a prospective Tesla owner, I worry about ...

Select all concerns you have regarding purchasing a Tesla

• Potential for quick obsolescence due to innovation

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • Lack of local service center presence

Votes: 41 20.2%
  • Possibility of long delays for any repairs

Votes: 104 51.2%
  • Supercharger availability and/or range anxiety

Votes: 24 11.8%
  • Depreciation

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • Vehicle size

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Fear that I won't like it as much as my current vehicle

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Annual maintenance costs

Votes: 24 11.8%
  • Repair costs

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • Reliability

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • The long-term stability of Tesla

Votes: 41 20.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 10.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what the poll would look like if it were divided between current Tesla owners, and non-owners. I would imagine that for current owners, worries about charging/repairs/range/service would be less. As an owner, my only *real* worry from the list above is size. I hope the back seat is roomy enough for two adults to sit comfortably on long trips. Having been a Tesla owner for almost five years now, I am quite convinced that their service is consistently way above that of any car dealership I've ever experienced. I don't see that changing.

For current owner with S'es out of warranty, why wouldn't they worry about repairs when on TMC, a brake job was $6k excluding labor costs and each handle was $1,600 each? Is it really just lemons we are hearing and seeing complaints about here on TMC?

Even a friend of mine who got a 2014 or 15 S told me he no longer recommends Tesla to friends (because of the Buzzing, Squeaks,Rattles, moonroof replacement and few other issues he has experienced) but still says it's mainly been a good experience in terms of quality of service.

My main concern is whether Tesla will still be the same company that endeared Roadster, S and X owners -- forthcoming in repair works, proactive in replacing parts that may potentially break down, honoring ESA's unlike Hyundai/Kia, where I read once or twice on the internet (anecdotal), try not to honor their 8 to lifetime warranties by pointing at other causes/points of failure (someone, if maintenance has been DIY, I can't blame the manufacturer because some problems could have been induced by DIYer).

With service, that remains to be seen because anytime the number of customers increase significantly, there will definitely be an effect on work turnaround times unless staff at the service centers will be increased and locations added.

Although there will be an overlap, those who own a S or X probably have different concerns from those who plan on buying a 3 and have never owned a Tesla. I am in the latter group which is likely more cost conscientious, practical, and not avant garde or early adopters.

Might as well throw in how many Tesla's they've owned, how long they've kept them, reasons for upgrades, etc. because from what we can tell, a significant improvement in reliability came about in the 2015 and post Model S.

For current owner with S'es out of warranty, why wouldn't they worry about repairs when on TMC, a brake job was $6k excluding labor costs and each handle was $1,600 each? Is it really just lemons we are hearing and seeing complaints about here on TMC?

Even a friend of mine who got a 2014 or 15 S told me he no longer recommends Tesla to friends (because of the Buzzing, Squeaks,Rattles, moonroof replacement and few other issues he has experienced) but still says it's mainly been a good experience in terms of quality of service.

My main concern is whether Tesla will still be the same company that endeared Roadster, S and X owners -- forthcoming in repair works, proactive in replacing parts that may potentially break down, honoring ESA's unlike Hyundai/Kia, where I read once or twice on the internet (anecdotal), try not to honor their 8 to lifetime warranties by pointing at other causes/points of failure (someone, if maintenance has been DIY, I can't blame the manufacturer because some problems could have been induced by DIYer).

With service, that remains to be seen because anytime the number of customers increase significantly, there will definitely be an effect on work turnaround times unless staff at the service centers will be increased and locations added.

I am already into my ESA and my level of service has not changed one bit. I would say I probably represent most owners when I say I would take Tesla Service over any dealer I've dealt with. That's not to say that some people I'm sure have had bad experiences, but mine has been stellar. They *really* do try and do right by every customer from what I've seen. The service model is not to make a profit (unlike dealers). From what I've been told, they operate at cost, meaning if you get charged $$$ for a part, then that is what it actually costs.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I am already into my ESA and my level of service has not changed one bit. I would say I probably represent most owners when I say I would take Tesla Service over any dealer I've dealt with. That's not to say that some people I'm sure have had bad experiences, but mine has been stellar. They *really* do try and do right by every customer from what I've seen. The service model is not to make a profit (unlike dealers). From what I've been told, they operate at cost, meaning if you get charged $$$ for a part, then that is what it actually costs.

Perfect. Thanks for sharing your feedback. That's one of the major things I wanted to know -- if Tesla will stand by its warranty and ESA.

My friend already mentioned Tesla's proactiveness in replacing this part and that on his S and I usually am not the complaining type unless of course the issue is dead serious. I think he is overall satisfied because he bought the car out at lease end.

I wouldn't mind going for the annual maintenance just to cover my a$$. At least I will be assured eight years of worry-free enjoyment of the M3. What happens on the ninth and after we'll just have to play it by ear (right to repair, independent mechanics, etc.). Even my 11 Accord hasn't past the extended warranty period. :) That's how long I keep my cars so I'm really mainly concerned with repair workmanship (because then reliability can just be so-so/average and customer still be extremely satisfied).

Last edited:
we worry about so many things that never happens in our life-I have been driving a second hand Nissan leaf for nearly 10 months and all I did was tire rotation-it's amazing. I am waiting for my M3 and I trust Tesla more than the leaf-interesting thing is I do not expect wonders in anything.

Like death and taxes, car repair and maintenance will be inevitable for those who don't just lease vehicles. I would be doing myself a disservice if I don't prepare for the worst and only expect the best.

I have zero concerns about owning a Tesla. No car is perfect and I don't expect my Model 3 to be. It's a car and a magnificent one at that. After owning 36 different vehicles, the Model 3 is the only car I have ever longed for and will pay cash for. I look forward to living in my new M3. My wife will always know where to find me...in the car.

• Funny
Reactions: zmarty
Why are so many people called out in this site for being a Troll? I am on a lot of other sites and I really must say I am surprised to see how often people are called out on this site.
This site is grossly mis-moderated. Calling someone a Troll or a Short doesn’t seem to be considered a personal attack and a violation of the TOS...especially if you’re an owner or fan.

Yet post are moved to ‘Snippiness’ for far less, if you are dissenting in opinion.......

Reactions: WhiskySTL
my opinion is other... I feel that other car manufacturers will catch up to Tesla.My situation is different, in that the nationwide charging network is not significant....so VW, MB and Audi will have competing products in the near future with a proper dealer network and staff on site if anything where to go wrong with the car. That is my main concern.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
my opinion is other... I feel that other car manufacturers will catch up to Tesla.My situation is different, in that the nationwide charging network is not significant....so VW, MB and Audi will have competing products in the near future with a proper dealer network and staff on site if anything where to go wrong with the car. That is my main concern.

I don't understand, how does the a dealer network and staff make any difference from sales and service centres, which also have staff that can deal with things when they go wrong with the car? I think this would have been a concern three years ago, but do people really worry about this today? What do you do on a Sunday when the dealer is closed and there are no staff and something goes wrong (I don't see the dealer network helping here).

Reactions: DR61