Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: August (19) or September (69) Delivery

When would you be willing to take delivery of your M3? Assume collection available from late July

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rumour from Tesla Driver channel that Tesla well be artificially delaying deliveries until the new September (69) plate.

Personally, I think it should be owners choice if the car is in the country. Would love to know where they will store them as I would think they may well be wanting to get as many away from California as is possible...

Just curious, who would rather wait for Sep (69) plate than take delivery with an Aug (19) plate

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
There's justification for customers to make this choice themselves but why would the manufacturer/salespeople do it? I've never bought a new car but I can see myself delaying a couple of weeks for this for a tiny uplift in value of the car later. Not more than a month though. And it depends on circumstance too - might be away on holiday last 2 weeks of Aug, so would be no downside then.

Well as my home charger isn’t getting installed until the last week of August, I went for Sept 1st. May as well get the “new” plate.

Thinking about getting a personalised plate though, so what’s the issue with that in terms of Tesla fitting it to the M3 for when I take delivery? Some suggestions that Tesla won’t do this, but I don’t see why not. It’s surely better than me trying to change it later on.

Thinking about getting a personalised plate though, so what’s the issue with that in terms of Tesla fitting it to the M3 for when I take delivery? Some suggestions that Tesla won’t do this, but I don’t see why not. It’s surely better than me trying to change it later on.

It’s not that they won’t fit your personalised plate, but the fact that they won’t register the car to it initially. You have to take delivery with the car registered under the ‘random’ plate assigned. Then you’re free to transfer your plate to the car. I believe it’s all about removing extra complications from the delivery process.

The SC did say they would make up a set of plates free of charge for the personalised number. This is apparently because Tesla use a special type of aluminium plate, and normal plates won’t fit their plate holders.

• Informative
Reactions: interbear
Rumour from Tesla Driver channel that Tesla well be artificially delaying deliveries until the new September (69) plate.

Personally, I think it should be owners choice if the car is in the country. Would love to know where they will store them as I would think they may well be wanting to get as many away from California as is possible...

Just curious, who would rather wait for Sep (69) plate than take delivery with an Aug (19) plate
I don't give a stuff about 19 vs 69 plate, I just want my car. The only time I can't really take delivery is the beginning of August when I was supposed to be driving it on holiday. If they delay until September then that jeopardises other trips that I already have booked (and will have to hire other cars for).

Last edited:
It’s not that they won’t fit your personalised plate, but the fact that they won’t register the car to it initially. You have to take delivery with the car registered under the ‘random’ plate assigned. Then you’re free to transfer your plate to the car. I believe it’s all about removing extra complications from the delivery process.

The SC did say they would make up a set of plates free of charge for the personalised number. This is apparently because Tesla use a special type of aluminium plate, and normal plates won’t fit their plate holders.

Thanks for this. I understand them registering the car with whatever random plate it comes with. So, 2 questions should I buy a personalised plate in advance of taking delivery and ask Tesla to make a set up for me:

1. If Tesla tell me the registration of my M3 before delivery can I do the DVLA switch online before delivery and have them fit the plates after handing the car over?
1. Or do I need to change the plates myself post delivery? I’m assuming this is easy enough and not something I need the Tesla SC to do. If they are not standard plates the fitting method may be different too, hence the question.

1. If Tesla tell me the registration of my M3 before delivery can I do the DVLA switch online before delivery and have them fit the plates after handing the car over?

That would be ideal, but unfortunately the DVLA system doesn’t make it possible. In order to transfer your personalised plate onto the M3 you need the paper V5C for the original registration, which in my experience only arrives about a week after you get the car.

My own plan is to get them to make up my personalised plates for when I collect the car, and then swap them over myself once I’ve got the V5C and done the transfer.

It would be I interesting to see the result of that poll without the July option. Obviously most people would opt for a July delivery.

If the options were only August or September the picture could be very different.

Nobody is getting a UK Model 3 in July anyway!

I couldn’t care less what the plate is. I just want the car as soon as possible!

Yep, planning to keep it for a long time. And I honestly cant imagine much of a price difference

New & Used Cars for Sale - Auto Trader UK

Tesla Model S E 85 5dr (Nav) 65 reg £32,950

Tesla Model S E 85D 5dr (Nav) 16 reg £35,450

That's £2500 difference and on a model 3 I expect half that.

I'm ok with paying 1.2k 5 years later to get the car even 2 weeks earlier now.

2 weeks less of diesel is already saving me £100 - £200

Reactions: fakoriginal