Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that's what I think too.... but it could also be a software problem that makes those pumps start when they shouldn't. Frankly, I haven't understood yet if the problem you had is the same as mine. Have you watched my video? Please, let me know. Thanks.
Yes, I did watch your video and that's the same sound I had which was causing me to have the phantom power drain too, even though I had not driven the car for days. I think I had mentioned this in my earlier posts. As mentioned, after I restarted/ rebooted the MCU three times, the noise stopped. It's no longer continuous regardless of whether it's just sitting in the garage and turned off. I do get the noise when I get in the car and engage it to drive or reverse but I think that's just normal operation. It does not appear to come on if I just open the door like yours does. I really hope you find a solution or Tesla SC can help you.

Reactions: fablau
Yes, I did watch your video and that's the same sound I had which was causing me to have the phantom power drain too, even though I had not driven the car for days. I think I had mentioned this in my earlier posts. As mentioned, after I restarted/ rebooted the MCU three times, the noise stopped. It's no longer continuous regardless of whether it's just sitting in the garage and turned off. I do get the noise when I get in the car and engage it to drive or reverse but I think that's just normal operation. It does not appear to come on if I just open the door like yours does. I really hope you find a solution or Tesla SC can help you.

Thank you very much for your detailed info. I'll try to reset the MCU again today and then tomorrow. I really hope it is going to work for me as well. Thanks again ;)

Reactions: gleearch
Hi everyone. First post for me here :) I took delivery of a 2021 Model Y Performance on 15 August 2021. I have this humming, buzzing sound. I actually notice it more whilst in the car, than on the outside. I agree that it would not be a big issue on an ICE, but since EVs are so quiet, it is annoying and disappointing. But, I have had two Jaguar I-Pace EVs that when the HVAC was on the fans were deafening. It was louder than a V8 ICE car! If someone was trying to talk to you through the window, it was essentially impossible and when pulling into the garage or a park structure, it was totally embarrassing. So, while I do not like this buzz/hum sound on my new Model Y, it is quieter than the Jaguar I-Pace EV. Silver lining?

Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau
Hi everyone. First post for me here :) I took delivery of a 2021 Model Y Performance on 15 August 2021. I have this humming, buzzing sound. I actually notice it more whilst in the car, than on the outside. I agree that it would not be a big issue on an ICE, but since EVs are so quiet, it is annoying and disappointing. But, I have had two Jaguar I-Pace EVs that when the HVAC was on the fans were deafening. It was louder than a V8 ICE car! If someone was trying to talk to you through the window, it was essentially impossible and when pulling into the garage or a park structure, it was totally embarrassing. So, while I do not like this buzz/hum sound on my new Model Y, it is quieter than the Jaguar I-Pace EV. Silver lining?

No silver lining for me!

Thank you so much for your posting. I just want to make sure you are reporting the same exact humming sound produced by the cooling system water pumps, and not the pedestrian warning system artificially produced by the front-right speaker that turns on when you drive at slow speed, right?

If so, I see you also are disappointed by this issue, and I can assure you, that's NOT normal! That's why I am pushing so much with Tesla to do something about it. It is my understanding that, so far, the only Teslas having this issue are the newest Model Ys. All other models (S, X, 3), as well as previously produced Model Ys, seem to be NOT affected.

And I am sorry to anyone saying "that's not a defect because everything works normally and it is not affecting performance nor cooling of the system." (Tesla words).... well, to me it is a BIG defect affecting negatively the whole driving experience. EVs are supposed to be quiet when you stop at a light and the A/C is off. It cannot be that you always have this humming noise sounding like an airplane with propellers running all the time. And I am sorry to repeat myself a thousand times, but I have driven Model Ss, Model Xs, and Model 3s for the past 6 years and I never had this annoying issue!

I strongly recommend contacting your nearest Tesla service center and complain about it. Mention them this thread and my testimonials about this issue. The more people complain about this issue, the more chances we have Tesla fix it in some way!

Thank you very much again, and please, let me know if you have any questions or any more ideas about this problem.

Yes, if you read my other post, that's how I managed to reduce the power drain and the loud humming noise. I pushed the two buttons on the steering wheel. Restarted 3 times but spread over three days because I was not driving the car at that time. The power drain and loud hum have not returned and I have been driving the car now on a daily basis.

Ok, I have tried to reset the MCU three times in a row (on three different days) and didn't make any difference. Unfortunately, the noise is still there :(

I am wondering how could this work for you?

Thanks anyway.

No silver lining for me!

Thank you so much for your posting. I just want to make sure you are reporting the same exact humming sound produced by the cooling system water pumps, and not the pedestrian warning system artificially produced by the front-right speaker that turns on when you drive at slow speed, right?

If so, I see you also are disappointed by this issue, and I can assure you, that's NOT normal! That's why I am pushing so much with Tesla to do something about it. It is my understanding that, so far, the only Teslas having this issue are the newest Model Ys. All other models (S, X, 3), as well as previously produced Model Ys, seem to be NOT affected.

And I am sorry to anyone saying "that's not a defect because everything works normally and it is not affecting performance nor cooling of the system." (Tesla words).... well, to me it is a BIG defect affecting negatively the whole driving experience. EVs are supposed to be quiet when you stop at a light and the A/C is off. It cannot be that you always have this humming noise sounding like an airplane with propellers running all the time. And I am sorry to repeat myself a thousand times, but I have driven Model Ss, Model Xs, and Model 3s for the past 6 years and I never had this annoying issue!

I strongly recommend contacting your nearest Tesla service center and complain about it. Mention them this thread and my testimonials about this issue. The more people complain about this issue, the more chances we have Tesla fix it in some way!

Thank you very much again, and please, let me know if you have any questions or any more ideas about this problem.
It is not the pedestrian warning sound, I know what that sounds like (and it was over the top loud on my 2020 i3S; insanity). I have watched your videos, and I have the same hum/buzz sound. When I come to a stop in my brand new Y, and the radio is low and with the HVAC on or off...I hear it in the car. It is not a desired sound, but of course would not be audible over an ICE.

Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau
Ok, I have tried to reset the MCU three times in a row (on three different days) and didn't make any difference. Unfortunately, the noise is still there :(

I am wondering how could this work for you?

Thanks anyway.
Not sure. I think I lucked out and am now afraid to ever reset again, in case it comes back. :p One of my resets actually hung, forcing me to reset again. Resulting in the three resets. Not sure if that was the reason it ended up working.

It is not the pedestrian warning sound, I know what that sounds like (and it was over the top loud on my 2020 i3S; insanity). I have watched your videos, and I have the same hum/buzz sound. When I come to a stop in my brand new Y, and the radio is low and with the HVAC on or off...I hear it in the car. It is not a desired sound, but of course would not be audible over an ICE.

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure. From your description appears to be even worse than my own. As I said in the video, I tried one of the newest Model Ys and had the same problem but even louder than mine, so I guess there are different "levels" out there of this noise. And of course, if you are coming from an ICE car you probably don't even notice it. But if you have driven other EVs, especially Tesla, you know it is not right.

Please, report the problem to your nearest Tesla service center and insist on it asking them to compare it with another Model Y, possibly older than 6 months so they can hear the difference. Then, please, ask to open an engineering ticket about it. Thank you so much!

My Model 3 makes exactly the same sound. It is so irritating that we are planning on getting rid of the car if they won't fix it. We scheduled a test drive at the local dealer to see if they were all like that, and no, the one we drove for half an hour was silent. I have had the car into the Service Center twice now, and they tell me it is normal. Well it definitely is not. We have scheduled a third visit to a different SC next week. If we get the same answer, what would you suggest for how to protest to Tesla? They don't seem to have many points of communication.

My Model 3 makes exactly the same sound. It is so irritating that we are planning on getting rid of the car if they won't fix it. We scheduled a test drive at the local dealer to see if they were all like that, and no, the one we drove for half an hour was silent. I have had the car into the Service Center twice now, and they tell me it is normal. Well it definitely is not. We have scheduled a third visit to a different SC next week. If we get the same answer, what would you suggest for how to protest to Tesla? They don't seem to have many points of communication.

Thank you John for posting your experience here! Is your Model 3 one of the new ones with a heat pump? If so, I guess it has exactly the same problem related to the water pump. And you are right, it is NOT normal. And I hear you, I also hate to drive my Model Y just because of that damn noise.

Have you asked your SC to compare your Model 3 with another one to hear the difference? I had to insist with my SC to do that, they were reluctant and kept saying that "was normal" as well. But as soon as they heard the difference, I got their attention. In the end, I opened an engineering ticket at Tesla which opened an investigation into the issue which consisted solely in coming out in my place to take measurements of the noise. Unfortunately didn't solve anything because even after taking the measurements, they said that the noise was in the normal range. And the case was closed. But what I really think is that they just dismissed the problem because there aren't as many people complaining about it.

So, yes, I'd suggest doing this:

1. Ask to compare your Model 3 with a different one to hear the difference. If the other Model 3 has the same issue, ask for an older Model 3.

2. Ask to open an engineering ticket at Tesla complaining about the annoying noise coming from the water pump of the cooling system which runs continuously even if the A/C is off and make clear that other Model 3 don't have that problem.

Thank you!

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I bought my car June 27, so it has the heat pump. I asked to hear another Model 3 when I was at the SC, and they told me that they couldn't do that with a customer's car. So that is why I scheduled a test drive at a showroom afterward. The car I tried made almost no noise on the test drive. I have scheduled another service appointment at a different SC, hoping for different results. I will ask them to open an engineering ticket, and see what happens. It seems obvious that our cars are making much more noise than most, so it seems like it must be possible to fix. My neighbor has a Model 3 that is about a year old, and it is silent. I have rented a Model 3 and a Model Y over the last six months and they were both silent, so I believe it is the heat pump.

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I bought my car June 27, so it has the heat pump. I asked to hear another Model 3 when I was at the SC, and they told me that they couldn't do that with a customer's car. So that is why I scheduled a test drive at a showroom afterward. The car I tried made almost no noise on the test drive. I have scheduled another service appointment at a different SC, hoping for different results. I will ask them to open an engineering ticket, and see what happens. It seems obvious that our cars are making much more noise than most, so it seems like it must be possible to fix. My neighbor has a Model 3 that is about a year old, and it is silent. I have rented a Model 3 and a Model Y over the last six months and they were both silent, so I believe it is the heat pump.

Thank you John! The first time I went to the SC and I asked to compare my car with another one, I got the same answer. But it is kind of a b***s**t. My SC had also a Model Y used for test drives, so I could compare it with that one the first time I went there (and it was completely silent). The second time, I could compare it with one of the employees', and it was completely silent as well. BUT.... when the fourth time I went there complaining again and asking them to definitively explain why my car wasn't silent like the other ones if "everything was normal " as they kept saying, the technician said "Maybe it is because those cars are a different production model than yours, and maybe it is a normal thing in the new ones." I was then very upset, and I demanded to compare my car with a similarly produced Model Y (basically a newer one) and I told him that I would have not left the S until they allowed me to compare my car with a similarly produced car. I really had to get upset. He then pulled out one of the customer's cars which actually had the same problem of mine. So... they can do i. They just don't want to. They always try to dismiss your problem as much and as fast as they can.

Yes, please, keep me posted. Just one important thing: When you go to your next service center, tell them the fact that the noise is coming from the water pumps of the cooling system, not the heat pump itself, otherwise, they get confused and miss the point. You must be very specific. The first time I brought my Model Y to the SC, I told them that (quote) "The noise is coming from the cooling system and I think that could be a problem with the heat pump", so they looked just at the heat pump and said there was nothing about it and made no noise (!!). After that, I realized that the noise was coming from the water pumps instead, and I had to get back to the SC and explain in detail where the noise was coming from to have them inspect the correct area of concern.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Deutsch100
If you get no traction with the SC, can you file a complaint with the BBB- Better Business Bureau? I have done so for other car brands that gave me problems and they can work with you and manufacturer to find a resolution you can accept. Though there's a possibility that nothing happens too.

If you get no traction with the SC, can you file a complaint with the BBB- Better Business Bureau? I have done so for other car brands that gave me problems and they can work with you and manufacturer to find a resolution you can accept. Though there's a possibility that nothing happens too.

That's not a bad idea actually, that could be a "last resort" thing. ;)

Took delivery of MYLR in mid Aug 2021. It's a constant hum when car is activated and in use. NO fan, no AC, parked for hours, no climate control, temp here has been low 70s - it doesn't matter the hum is there. The hum is gone after 30-60 minutes after being locked and parked.

That said, I took it to get supercharged and hum and noise was just unbearable. It sounded like the same noise but just louder.

Took delivery of MYLR in mid Aug 2021. It's a constant hum when car is activated and in use. NO fan, no AC, parked for hours, no climate control, temp here has been low 70s - it doesn't matter the hum is there. The hum is gone after 30-60 minutes after being locked and parked.

That said, I took it to get supercharged and hum and noise was just unbearable. It sounded like the same noise but just louder.
Keep us posted, if you find anything out. I took delivery of my MYP on 8/15/21 and I have the EXACT same endless humming you are describing. Does not matter what the temp is, HVAC on or off, no fan...constant hum!!! It is worse & most noticeable when stopped at lights or in stop and go traffic

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73