Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article includes a post from @greentheonly that states - "every time a model3 wakes up - a screenshot of the display is captured and stored on EMMC. I guess this was some sort of power management debugging thingie that somebody forgot to disable? MCU2 does not do that. Last 50 such snapshots are stored. We'll see what else I find."

If this is the case then every time the Tesla vehicle with this same software bug wakes up the Tesla will save a screen shot. This may trigger the coolant pump for the ICE computer to turn on or pump faster. Also consider whether the following are active when the Tesla is parked or when turned on:

When the Tesla is parked, is Sentry Mode active?

When the Tesla wakes up, is Dash Cam set to operate?

If the Tesla vehicle has FSD is Summon active?

These features could cause the Tesla ICE computer to require additional cooling, increasing the coolant pump output and the noise.

Thank you for clarifying, sorry, I missed the Twitter post screenshot.

Well, that could be a good point if the finding wasn't that old. Green posted that on May 2020, which is more than a year ago, therefore older Model Ys would be affected as well, right? This issue instead seems to affect just the last 1-2 months of production cars.

In any case, I have done this:

1. Sentry mode is always disabled when I am home, therefore it cannot be part of the problem.

2. I have a USB drive connected where I store all videos captured by the cams, so, I removed that.

3. I have disabled all FSD related features (I do have FSD enabled on this car).

4. I have reset the computer by holding down both buttons on the steering wheel and waited until the computer rebooted.

And during the whole process described above, the noise didn't change a bit. It was steady running as usual.

Then, I exited the car, closed the door, and waited until the noise stopped (it took around 5 minutes). Then I opened the door again, and the noise started again as usual. No difference. I still think those pumps run for the batteries, no matter if they are hot or cold.

As a side note, when I discussed this issue with the Tesla technician, among my questions, I also asked if there were any differences in the firmware between Model Y production models, and he said "No, they all have the same firmware". Of course, I cannot be certain 100% he was right, but per his own knowledge, all Model Ys have the same firmware. And that's why he suggested right away that the problem could probably reside in the water pumps because he said "I know that in the past few months Tesla had supplier issues with the cooling system and it is possible that used cheaper pumps".... well, there you have it!

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Based on the location and the size of the component (which I believe is a coolant pump) I believe the pump is for cooling the ICE computer. Perhaps the ICE computer requires constant cooling, the current production pumps are defective (too noisy.)

Reactions: fablau
Based on the location and the size of the component (which I believe is a coolant pump) I believe the pump is for cooling the ICE computer. Perhaps the ICE computer requires constant cooling, the current production pumps are defective (too noisy.)

I don't have the cooling system blueprint in my hands, but it is my guessing those pumps are part of the whole cooling system (aka octovalve) as I have reportesd here:

Certainly, the computer cooling system could be hooked to the same system (unless it has its own cooling system), but I doubt those pumps are just for cooling the computer.

The noisy component appears to be too small to be a coolant pump for any of the high voltage units such as the front drive unit, PCS. The diagram of the coolant system I saw showed two pumps. One pump appears to send coolant to the PCS and the drive unit (the diagram does not specify whether this is a front or rear drive unit). The second pump appears to send warm coolant from the battery pack to the chiller. The diagram is fairly high level, may not show all of the smaller components in the heating and cooling system.

Diagram is on post #38:

Inconsistent air conditioning A/C performance with new Model Y

The noisy component appears to be too small to be a coolant pump for any of the high voltage units such as the front drive unit, PCS. The diagram of the coolant system I saw showed two pumps. One pump appears to send coolant to the PCS and the drive unit (the diagram does not specify whether this is a front or rear drive unit). The second pump appears to send warm coolant from the battery pack to the chiller. The diagram is fairly high level, may not show all of the smaller components in the heating and cooling system.

Diagram is on post #38:

Inconsistent air conditioning A/C performance with new Model Y

Nice reference, thank you jcanoe.

Well, it is certainly possible the two pumps are meant to drive different sub-systems as per your suggested diagram, but I can confirm that the pump making noise is one of the two (or both?) I have circled in red in the picture below:

Valves.jpg

They are both of the same exact sizes, and they are not that small (possible around 1.5" in diameter?)

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
It’s a 2021 and was delivered Dec 3 2020. I have about 8500 miles since delivery.

And thanks for your comments on my noise versus your noise. Helpful!

Thank you! It is my understanding your car does not have the problem we are discussing here then, which confirms the fact that only the latest produced models seems to be affected by it.

Thank you again for the valuable information!

What about air trapped in the pump? Could that be the source of the noise? My previous vehicle was a Chevy Volt. The Volt service procedure when replacing the coolant included hooking the coolant system loop to a vacuum pump for at hour to evacuate any air bubbles after changing, refilling the coolant.

What about air trapped in the pump? Could that be the source of the noise? My previous vehicle was a Chevy Volt. The Volt service procedure when replacing the coolant included hooking the coolant system loop to a vacuum pump for at hour to evacuate any air bubbles after changing, refilling the coolant.

yes, if you read the other thread of mine I mentioned earlier, that’s exactly what the Tesla service did at the beginning but didn’t help.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I hope I'm not butting in, in the wrong place, but I bought a model 3 with FSD on June 27 that has the same loud humming. Took it in to service and was told it was normal, but I can't believe it. I am taking it back this Thursday and will try to push a little harder. Usually it is just irritating from inside the car, but after visiting a friend in a hot climate Saturday, I could here it roaring from 20 feet away.

Reactions: fablau
I hope I'm not butting in, in the wrong place, but I bought a model 3 with FSD on June 27 that has the same loud humming. Took it in to service and was told it was normal, but I can't believe it. I am taking it back this Thursday and will try to push a little harder. Usually it is just irritating from inside the car, but after visiting a friend in a hot climate Saturday, I could here it roaring from 20 feet away.

I think the new Model 3s could have the same exact issue since it is my understanding they all share the same cooling system. Can anyone confirm?

If I were you I would insist on the problem and ask the service to compare your car with another one to see if the problem is consistent. Ask to compare it with older models (4-6 months older). As I said, I had to insist to prove my Model Y had had a problem that wasn't "normal" :)

I just received my MYLR last Thursday and have only driven it once because I'm installing PPF myself. The car is in my garage with climate turned off and it's plugged into the charger but does not charge till midnight. Sentry mode is turned off in my garage. Every time I step into the garage I hear a fairly loud humming from the trunk area. I have not pop open the top cover where the wiper fluid filler cap is located but the sound seems to come from that area and it runs non stop all the time. I have the car charged to 285 miles and by the end of the day it will have dropped to 269 miles. I'm not checking in on the car with my phone since it's in my garage. I'm not sure but it appears that whatever is causing the sound is using up my battery fairly quickly at a 5% loss everyday. Is this normal behavior for the MYLR?

Have you setup the Model Y's connection to your home's Wi-Fi network? It sounds like the Model Y is not entering sleep mode when parked. The sound could be a coolant pump.
Yes, its connected to my Wifi network. The car does go into sleep mode but the humming sound seems to keep on going. I just thought it was normal until I read this thread and notice the 5% battery drain. I know there is supposed to be some drain over the course of a day but am not sure it's supposed to be 5% or 16 miles.

Yes, its connected to my Wifi network. The car does go into sleep mode but the humming sound seems to keep on going. I just thought it was normal until I read this thread and notice the 5% battery drain. I know there is supposed to be some drain over the course of a day but am not sure it's supposed to be 5% or 16 miles.
Have you tried performing a soft reset? (Pressing and holding the left and right scroll wheel buttons on the steering wheel for ~10 to 15 seconds will perform a soft reset.)

Reactions: gleearch