Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I haven't tried that. Where did you find them?! Please, keep us posted!
I was discussing this issue with my supervisor and he mentioned he had issues such as some cosmetic imperfections and paint job in his Model X when he bought it 3 years ago. To get service center's attention he had to write to these email Ids (suggested to him by someone else). These emails are monitored by Tesla's executive team. I am thinking if many people write individual emails to them with the same issue then they might take it seriously.

Reactions: fablau
I was discussing this issue with my supervisor and he mentioned he had issues such as some cosmetic imperfections and paint job in his Model X when he bought it 3 years ago. To get service center's attention he had to write to these email Ids (suggested to him by someone else). These emails are monitored by Tesla's executive team. I am thinking if many people write individual emails to them with the same issue then they might take it seriously.

Absolutely, we'll do that! The more lauder we beat the drum, the more chances we have they are going to listen to it!

I am wondering if it'd be better, in my case, to bring up the case just for myself or for everybody, by mentioning the number of people complaining about it, about the petition, etc... your thoughts on that?

Just picked up my 21 MY from the SC, water pump and super manifold was changed. I am glad to report that it is indeed, super quiet. The way it should be. The noise I had was at the same level to @fablau. West Palm Beach SC was very accommodating and understanding with my issue.

That's fantastic to know! Thank you for reporting!

Could you please clarify this: is the noise completely gone from inside, or it has been just reduced to a tolerable level? Please, let us know.

Thanks again and congratulations on the fix!

2CF94686-1E2A-41DD-AF55-3A7C4B138C26.png
The noise is gone, sounds quieter then my 2020MY

They never gave me that excuse since I told them I own a 2020 MY as well, I had them seat inside the car and showed them how annoying it was. They agreed from my first attempt. I told them what they needed to change thanks to @fablau and this trend and the issue was fixed. If you look at the parts replaced, they even changed the ac compressor to be on the safe side.

Wow, you have been super lucky! I am happy for you!!

So... can you confirm the problem has completely disappeared? Not only "reduced" but really gone??!

Hi all. Just picked up my first Tesla - a Model Y - yesterday. I immediately noticed the noise and wondered if it was going to be a problem and found this thread. It has finished charging overnight, powered off, no a/c, in the garage, and 15 hours later still making the constant fan noise.

In addition to this the passenger door won’t close without me applying significant pressure. I’ve opened up a ticket for that and will ask about the noise when they come to fix the door.

A bit disappointed….

Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau
Hi all. Just picked up my first Tesla - a Model Y - yesterday. I immediately noticed the noise and wondered if it was going to be a problem and found this thread. It has finished charging overnight, powered off, no a/c, in the garage, and 15 hours later still making the constant fan noise.

In addition to this the passenger door won’t close without me applying significant pressure. I’ve opened up a ticket for that and will ask about the noise when they come to fix the door.

A bit disappointed….

I am sorry about that, that sucks indeed. Please, keep us posted with your experience at the Tesla service center.

@Cobra2077 After looking at your receipt more carefully, I see they replaced the A/C compressor "bracket" assembly, not the compressor itself. That's very interesting and could have been contributing to the fixing. As you can see from this page, that's part #1506443-00-A:

Now, I am wondering if the supermanifold you have replaced includes also the water (coolant) pumps I have replaced in my car, and where the noise was actually coming from. I am doing some research trying to figure that out, but please, if anyone can help to understand that, that'd be great.

What I am trying to understand is if this is still another "fortunate" fixing by just replacing parts nearby the source of noise, or we can understand and find a secure and definitive fix to this problem. I am saying this because, as I mentioned earlier, another guy replaced the whole supermanifold assembly and that didn't fix the problem completely. Now we have another guy who has replaced the whole thing, plus the A/C compressor bracket, and the problem is gone. It is a combination of things? A fortunate combination of things that have fixed the problem? That's my guess so far, but I'd like to find the smoking gun!!

@fablau are you able to ask your technician about the A/C compressor bracket? Maybe mention this new development to him and see if he thinks it makes sense.

Yes, I will ask him hoping he’ll reply to me. Sometimes I had an hard time to have him replied to my inquires. It I will definitively ask him!

As a side note, I am trying to understand where is this bracket located inside the frunk and I haven’t had any luck in finding information on that on the web. Anyone can help to understand where is that bracket exactly located near the compressor? Is that behind it or on the top? I don’t have access to my car right now (I am out of town) so I am unable to understand that by just looking into my car. But I will do it later today when I get back home. Thanks.

Reactions: K-Fresh
Picked up MY7LR last week and I think I have this issue too :(
How do I go about having service center fix it?

I am sorry about that. To have your service center fix it, get ready to fight for it. Unless you are super lucky like @Cobra2077 above who could fix the problem without any effort, most of us had to fight with the Tesla service to just acknowledge the problem. They tend to be very dismissive about it. They keep saying that “it is not a problem” or that “it is normal," whereas it is not normal at all, it is a BIG quality problem. It may not be a “technical” or “safety” issue, but it just ruins the whole Tesla experience and lowers its overall quality.

Also, since we all know the problem is with the cooling system, what you need to push is to either replace the water pumps or, even better, to replace the whole supermanifold component. I pushed a lot with my own service center to replace the water pumps, and finally, they decided to replace them. The problem is not completely gone, but the noise has been reduced a great deal. In fact, I am still NOT satisfied! I am considering asking to replace the whole supermanifold as @Cobra2077 did above which fixed 100% of the problem.

Please, keep us posted and make sure to sign the petition on modelyissue.com. That's our last resort solution ;)