Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL - LR RWD actual increase in range, or just software BS?

Do you believe the increased range on the LR RWD is an actual increase, or just software BS?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am skeptical about any range increase for my LR RWD — I’m on 2019.8.3 — and also skeptical about the 5% power boost for all 3’s. (The power boost seems more likely to be a real upgrade.) However, I rarely ever charge to 100% and don’t care enough to experiment with an unneeded 100% test charge. What is nice is that the official specs for my car have been boosted and that can’t be a bad thing when I advertise my car for sale a few years from now. Of course by then range of new cars will probably be at least 400 miles.:D

Last edited:
Tesla didn't convey the 'range increase' as anything other then adjusting the display to show what they feel is the new real world estimate. It's not like they said that the battery had more cells in it that are being 'unlocked' or something like that.

Not sure why that may count as 'bs' in your eyes. If they can provide an accurate estimate of real range, including factoring that in when routing via nav, it should be considered a win for everyone.

When the RWD LR first came-out, there were stories about the car getting more than the advertised 310 miles of range. My guess is that they have adjusted the display to be more accurate to what has always been there.
I know there were people that got 340 miles with careful driving. You can go much further than that even if you can drive slowly on the freeway, but that can be dangerous in some places.

I know there were people that got 340 miles with careful driving. You can go much further than that even if you can drive slowly on the freeway, but that can be dangerous in some places.
Of course the EPA calculations for the 2018 LR RWD were in that ballpark. Most people here assumed Tesla was deliberately lowballing the number to protect S sales, but now that the lowest range S is much higher (335) there is no reason to keep lowballing the LR RWD 3’s range.

(I wonder if they would have gone higher than 325 for the 3 if the new S was say 350:D)

I don't think Tesla gave us any additional efficiency..... rather i think they have us access to additional pack capacity. The rated line of 240 Wh/mi didn't change after i got my additional range. I think we can discharge the pack a little deeper than before. I can't prove this with math because if we have a 78 kWh pack and 75 kWh was available, you'd need more than 3 kWh to bump up by 15 additional miles, which would leave you beyond empty.... Hell if i know what voodoo magic they did!

I don't understand the argument that Tesla unlocked capacity or found efficiencies on the LR RWD. If that were the case, wouldn't the LR AWD and the P models also gain at least a little bit of range since they have the same pack and essentially the same rear motors? I get that they're less efficient with the front motors, but any true gains should be applicable to those models as well.

I totally agree that there is no real power boost or range gain. it's all Elon BS. I suggest we, model 3 owners demand proof from Tesla or start a class action law suit!!
Maybe it's because i'm from another country, but.. perhaps a lawsuit is not warranted.

I mean, while I think this is not a real range bump, they aren't advertising more than the EPA rated range. So... not sure where there is any legal footing. The 5% power performance is real. There are videos about it. But 5% is imperceptible. No one will really notice any difference unless you have one of those VBOX's.