Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Model 3 License Plate Ideas

Which license plate should I get for my Model 3? (PLEASE NO STEALING!)

• R3V

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • TSLA R3V

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 75 80.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DISCLAIMER: PLEASE don't snatch either of my ideas out from under me. I've debated for weeks and spent way too many hours trying to come up with ideas that aren't taken in the state of California, and I've finally narrowed it down to 2 options (or none at all). I'm prepared to order this license plate 2 years in advance to keep "random Joe" from thinking it up in the next 24 months. Please be kind and don't steal my ideas.

Option #1: "R3V"
Meaning: Lots of things. Rev, like a car engine, but ironically not because the Model 3 has no engine. Rev as in short for "Revolution," as in the EV Revolution, and life in general. 3 as in Model 3. 3V as in EV, as in Electric Vehicle, and the second part of the "EV Revolution."

Option #2: "TSLA R3V"
Meaning: Mostly the same as above. More focused on the car specifically as a Tesla, and about the Tesla brand working to revolutionize the automobile industry.

Option #3: Regular, random license plate
I don't generally love custom license plates. Most of them are bad, dumb, or don't make sense. People think of something they want, can't get it cause it's taken, and end up settling for some version of it that makes no sense to anyone but them. My first idea revolved around the word "EVOLVE." Every version of that, even with numbers for letters, is taken. These ideas actually resonated with me, but I don't know if I care that much, if they're dumb, if they make sense to anyone but me, or if a custom license plate is worth all the questions that might follow.

Both of these options are available in the state of California, and I'm ready to purchase as soon as I make up my mind (if I decide to purchase at all).

My current car is a car. I've never genuinely considered upgrading it, personalizing it, or customizing anything about it. Two years out, I feel largely different about my Tesla, a sentiment I'm sure a lot of you share. I hope you'll share your opinion on my ideas, as well as many some ideas of your own (for yourself, of course, unless you're feeling generous ;))

Thanks everyone.

• Disagree
Reactions: PRSIST
P.S.: You won't break my heart if you say "neither." These ideas and I are not attached at the hip. I'm asking very specifically because they could easily be as dumb as I think most other people's license plates are. Honesty is the best policy. Gracias.

We don't really have the option of vanity plates like you have. Our plates are mandated to look something like this:

LA AP 2016

Meaning the first batch of letters (one, two or three, depending on your city/county of registry) depends on where you live and can't be changed anyway. The second batch of letters (one or two, depending on the rest of the plate) can be personalized in a way, though not all combinations are possible everywhere (KZ, NS, HJ, SS or SA for example are illegal, or rather - the official term - "unwelcome" combinations in almost every region due to their Nazi meanings). The number at the end can range from 1 to 9999, again depending on the other factors of the plate. Especially short versions (like M S 1) are generally reserved for motorcycle plates, which are much smaller than car plates).

EVs get special plates, though that regulation is quite new and only came into effect at the end of September 2015. Since then, the EV license plates end with an extra E, just like oldtimer cars' plates end with an H (for historical vehicle, age 25 years and older).

So, some of the best Model 3 combinations available in Germany would be

TS LA 3 E (but you would have to be living in the county of Traunstein in Bavaria)
MOD EL 3 E (county of Ostallgaeu/Marktoberdorf, again in Bavaria)
AM PD 3 E (county of Amberg, also in Bavaria)

It sure helps if you live in Bavaria ;)

I actually considered REV (our EV) and REVE (French for 'dream'). Maybe another possibility for you would be R3VE...living the Model 3 EV dream. :)

My first 4 choices were taken and here in Colorado, we have to mail in our requests to check if vanity plates are available. After a few weeks, I finally got confirmation that my 6th choice (second batch mailed in) was available.

It's unfortunate that Massachusetts limits you to 6 characters. My Model 3 will likely be blue, so, in a nod to the original project codename, I was going to go with "BluStr" ("Blue Star")... but then realized that this would be printed on the plate as "BLUSTR", which most folks would read as "bluster", and there's already too much of that on the roadways here....

It's unfortunate that Massachusetts limits you to 6 characters. My Model 3 will likely be blue, so, in a nod to the original project codename, I was going to go with "BluStr" ("Blue Star")... but then realized that this would be printed on the plate as "BLUSTR", which most folks would read as "bluster", and there's already too much of that on the roadways here....
Based on your forum name, how about "ICE9"? ;)

For now, I'm keeping my current vanity plate, "1024TB". My truck was broken into at a softball park and the responding officer asked me what was with the license plate. I politely explained that it was not 10-24 (officer distress) but computer terminology. :rolleyes:

Too bad I'm also limited as to length, because I toyed with the idea of paying tribute to my favorite short who will hopefully inadvertantly set off a squeeze at some point:

THXCHaNoS
LOLCHaNoS
CHaNoSUX

But as I've said I'm limited in characters and it wouldn't really make sense. I'll probably just go with a std issue license plate. I might have a bumper sticker printed up though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Started waning on the ideas late yesterday and last night. Come back this morning to see most of you agree with me. "Neither" seems to be the way to go. Now the question is, do I not bother or keep thinking?

Eh. You've got plenty of time for inspiration to strike, so let it percolate. My guess is that the one you ultimately choose will hit you when you're least expecting it. And who cares if 76% of people in an unscientific internet poll don't like it... if it makes you happy, roll with it! No explanation necessary.

Reactions: tony b and ajay
I really wanted to get "WATT TF", but I didn't have the balls. LOL - Sometimes I take my car to events where there are kids around - like robotics events. I ended up with "SKIPGAS" which will eventually make it's way from my leased Spark EV to the Model 3.

600_443126741.jpeg