Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on Model 3 Air Vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
My friend drives the model X most of the time. He thinks the design of the vent system in the M3 is poor design and difficult to adjust direction, etc.

Looking for opinions of owners relative to the HVAC system, mainly the direction system.

What do you think of the system?

It's not as easy to adjust while driving, because I need to look at the touch screen. Once it's adjusted to the desired position, however, it performs far better than conventional vents because the wide slit puts out a comfortable, diffuse stream of air. I rarely touch the controls after it's properly positioned, so I definitely prefer the TM3 vents over conventional vents.

Are you kidding me? The Model 3 AC system is the best of any car in the world. I never have needed to adjust it after the initial setup and I am always comfortable. Any other car I am constantly adjusting the vents because they don’t get my face, then they don’t get my chest. One reason I want the Y over the X is the AC system. Individual vents are stupid.

Vent design is genius in my opinion. " kind of wish it was easier to adjust", "wish the rear vent would stay on permanently", "wish you could disable the airflow for either side just like you can with physical vents".... whatever you can think of, the design is capable of supporting. Nothing more than a software update needing prioritization in the larger scheme of things. I bet we get one or more of these at some point. For me, I set it once and don't mess with it much other than blower speed

I find it easy to use but wish you could disable the airflow for either side just like you can with physical vents. My wife often just doesn't want it on.

Agreed. My wife wants the same thing sometimes so the best I can come up with is to put the temp setting to dual zone so she can put the temp to what she wants on her side and then redirect the flow away from her.

For myself, I rarely readjust the vent flow direction. It’s at a position that I’m happy with and I basically don’t need to adjust it. I also use the “auto” setting 99% of the time. The only thing I really do is turn the HVAC on or off and adjust the temperature. I’m quite happy with how it performs.

I love the 3's vents. Both sides point to me at all times. I need AC on me even when it's cool out. I have it blowing at my face from the driver's side and then a big cool blast hitting the right side of my body from the passenger's side. Haven't driven the X, but when I had the loaner S, I found it annoying to have to adjust the old style vents. :p

I like the adjustment scheme, and the wide diffused pattern is nice, but it still doesn't beat what my BMWs have. My E36 has one large, pretty wide vent, which gets pretty close to what the Model 3 has, and I can simultaneously direct warm air at my feet, and cool air at my face. I wish more auto makers would have this feature. Plus I can turn off the passenger vents in my BMWs.

Honestly, it doesn't matter how good the control system is in the Model 3, or that you rarely need to adjust it because of how good it generally is, the fact that you cannot turn off the passenger or driver vents is inexcusable.

Agreed. My wife wants the same thing sometimes so the best I can come up with is to put the temp setting to dual zone so she can put the temp to what she wants on her side and then redirect the flow away from her.

For myself, I rarely readjust the vent flow direction. It’s at a position that I’m happy with and I basically don’t need to adjust it. I also use the “auto” setting 99% of the time. The only thing I really do is turn the HVAC on or off and adjust the temperature. I’m quite happy with how it performs.
My wife just turns off the front vents and turns on the windshield vents to solve that problem.

I'm wondering if my 3 is different. I can put my finger on the passenger side, pull it towards the drivers side all the way and my wife feels nothing. I usually have it set to blow both sides onto the driver side and she has to have some air! Every time she gets in, I have to reset the directions so she can breathe...
What would be cool is to have a couple presets. Once I set it up I don't mess with it at all. The best ventilation system in any car and no stupid loose, flapping vent vanes. They're dirty, hard to clean and rarely stay where you put them.