Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mixed bag both mostly thumbs down!
What took one or two clicks now hidden deeper in menus. Is there any actual functionality added?
And yes it’s ugly…

This is where I disagree with his how Tesla does things. Seems like they’re throwing all their heavy resources on FSD and then letting the interns piddle with stuff that is important to the average user. And not doing it well…..

(On the upside I got FSD beta for Christmas so guess I shouldn’t complain too much ;-)

I miss having those top bar indicators as well. I see no good reason to have the map in that top 1/4 inch of screen. It would be better to just have a gray bar that gets populated with status indicators.
Absolutely. I use those indicators all the time. There is no good reason to remove them.
The antithesis to your argument is that people resist change even when it is improvement. Most of the complaints really boil down to "its different" but are presented as "its worse" with no real explanation why. "I hate it" isnt really helpful or constructive. No wonder Tesla ignores forums like this :(
That's not at all accurate. A large number of complaints point towards specific safety issues. I shouldn't have to work to find the defroster. Multiple taps to turn on just the seat heater is more time with eyes off the road. Same for lots of other functions that now require more effort to get to.

Absolutely correct, it is of course easy to change, difficult to improve. But, to my eye, a lot HAS improved (though a few things are a step back). Overall though, Tesla is still way ahead of the competition .. has anyone looked at that 1980's UI mess in the Mach-E, or the bling-infested disaster in BMW and Mercedes?

The antithesis to your argument is that people resist change even when it is improvement. Most of the complaints really boil down to "its different" but are presented as "its worse" with no real explanation why. "I hate it" isnt really helpful or constructive. No wonder Tesla ignores forums like this :(
I don't know what you are talking about when you say the complaints are just "I hate it" with no constructive criticism. Everyone here has been very detailed in explaining what the shortcomings of this "upgrade" are. It's certainly not a matter of us just being resistant to change. We are driving frickin' electric cars for God's sake! The people on this forum are certainly not resistant to change!

Last edited:
Don't just include the media controls as customizable buttons and let us customize them to whatever we need. I don't give a rats ass about tidal, spotify, radio, etc. Just give me the ability get functional buttons for car control.
You can get rid of tidal, spotify, etc. but unfortunately they haven't given us enough buttons to put back all the important stuff that was taken away. I love and embrace change (as most of us do driving electric cars) but there are significantly more changes in V11 that take a step back than there are that take a step forward. Overall, it's worse unfortunately. The UI was at its best before the 2020 holiday update. For every useful improvement (in both 2020 and 2021 holiday updates) there seem to be two things that get worse.

Agreed...but it was one tap on the main screen before. That's the point I was making (along with wipers, etc. now being buried requiring more attention off the road)

More importantly in my opinion, you now have to turn on the heater to change your heated seat settings. Tesla in their own words recommends using heated seats in place of the heater to maximize efficiency. That now requires us to turn on the heat, change the seat settings, and then turn off the heat. There's even more clicks that people are letting onto, because you have to deal with the heater now.

100% agree on these- they weren't even taking up screen space unless you asked for em with a swipe, both are now a full level deeper to get to, not a good change at all.

Haven't played with this much in 11, but I always leave on auto anyway, and pressing the end of the stalk would bring the setting up directly (though I never really needed to change it)- does it no longer do that?

You can pin dashcam to the bottom and see it there

I've got 5 there right now I think- and looks like room to spare, given the limited things you CAN pin not sure how you're using up more spots than you have?

I think I've got USB, radio, rear view cam, dashcam, and browser (which itself brings up the whole toybox menu at top of it initially if you want it)

They have an auto setting now-- too early to know how well it works, but if it does then you'd rarely need to adjust.

That said one thing you mentioned I REALLY wish I could still pin to the bottom is the defrost.

I don't love the update visuals overall- but if they'd let me pin that, and bring back the TPMS/trip cards, I'd have no real complaints.
I find auto wipers have improved but are still only about 75% reliable. The problem with pressing the stalk is that if you simply want to check the mode, It will activate the wipers and if you press too hard it will dispense fluid. The wiper control should be more accessible as before. Now you have to tap the Controls icon, then reach to the other side of the screen if you want to change the mode (harder to tap accurately when your arm is extended so far and you're driving down a not-so-smooth highway)

You can pin the dashcam icon but how do you save a clip while driving if you don't want to honk the horn? Before you'd tap the icon above the map. I also don't know if the new icon displays the recording status like the old one above the map did. That was my point in the previous post. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Auto seat heaters can waste energy if you don't need them. You also can't see the status anymore to see if the front passenger left them on (unless you dive into the climate screen).

There is room to spare for more pinned icons but they won't let you use the dead space. It's also wasted now partially by dual climate controls that don't need to be that way if they are in sync.

I've found that most people who are okay with the updates are saying they don't have a problem with it. I rarely see people commenting that, for example burying the tire pressure information, it's actually better now. I love and embrace change but only when it improves things. Most of the updates throughout the year fall into that category (improvements). For 2 years in a row though, the holiday updates broke more than they fixed so they are both failures.

Auto seat heaters can waste energy if you don't need them. You also can't see the status anymore to see if the front passenger left them on.
Yes, to check the status of your seat heaters now, you have to engage the heat pump. This will introduce a LOT of unneeded cycles to the HVAC equipment, which cannot be good for the longevity of those components.

After watching a couple of videos, I am beginning to understand the culture of Tesla, they don’t want you to press buttons because they don’t want buttons...everything should be pre set or automatic (like the new seat heater function). And anything that you do need to use is brought closer to the driver.
Of course the problem is us....we don’t like to change and car buttons aren’t meant to change and if they do...well that’s got to be unsafe.
Perhaps we should meet the new update halfway....accept that while not perfect it does have new features and we’ll agree to get along..

Reactions: Thp3
After watching a couple of videos, I am beginning to understand the culture of Tesla, they don’t want you to press buttons because they don’t want buttons...everything should be pre set or automatic (like the new seat heater function). And anything that you do need to use is brought closer to the driver.
Of course the problem is us....we don’t like to change and car buttons aren’t meant to change and if they do...well that’s got to be unsafe.
Perhaps we should meet the new update halfway....accept that while not perfect it does have new features and we’ll agree to get along..
Most people in here DO like change. That's why we bought electric cars. We knew there were no buttons going in when we went with Tesla (3/Y). The problem is that key functions (not the extra toys or enhancements) are being moved around and most of the time they get worse. For example, who actually wants smaller fonts, lower contrast on the screen, no dashcam status on the main screen, and other key items buried away? Probably about a third of the items in the holiday update are improvements, but two thirds of them seem to be designed by non-drivers sitting at their desk looking at a computer screen (in a location where heated seats are rarely used).

To fix 90% of the gripes:

Allow more than four icons on the tray (maybe 8?), and include things like open glovebox, seat heater, tire pressure, etc.

Also, put things back on the top (like driver name, dashcam). I'd say make it an option, but the downsides (more map?) of having those things are negligible.

The automatic seat heat works great if you like having a sweltering, sweaty butt.