Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you don‘t care about any evidence that might show you’re wrong and are taking the ‘I don’t notice it so it can’t possibly apply to me’ view. You claim to be a physician (an ER physician, no less.) One of the foundations of medicine is evidence-based decision making. Along with this is the well-documented fact that anecdotes are the worst and least reliable kind of evidence. How many people are in the ER because they were on their cell phone and didn’t think they were distracted?

Frankly, as a physician, I find your attitude astounding.
What if I invite you to our Trauma Conference to make those arguments, as a physician, in front of a group of academic Emergency Physicians and Trauma Surgeons? Those experienced with actual trauma, and trained to both analyze and create the literature. Will you make those arguments for us as a group based on the evidence presented here, and of course your opinion. Will you stun the room, and get everyone to say, oh, you're right. Never thought of that?

• Disagree
Reactions: ianc
what's really fun is you have to tap something you don't want to change just to access effing thing you want to change! (up/down temp settings to get to seat heaters or defog) it's ****ing stupid as *sugar* to have to do this.

yet...it's super easy to get to the entertainment crap with one tap...that you can't use while driving!!!

seriously? this is what people are defending as "oh, not bad of an improvement".

There are a lot of things on the new UI that suck and are worse than previously. I don't think anyone is denying that. That's not the same as acting like it's gonna kill you. Overall for me, it's better. You may feel the opposite, who gives a flying sh*t if we don't all agree about likes and dislikes? Me not agreeing does not invalidate your preferences. And if you are blindly going on a "disagree" rampage at least have the cojones to have the discussion.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: finman100
In real world (I believe in medicine as well but I am not a doctor) things have nuances; only kids work in absolutes. Both V10 and V11 can kill you. However, V11 is objectively _more_ likely to kill you because it requires longer (two taps vs. one) and less intuitive (turning on unrelated function to get the desired effect) interactions. Thankfully, the latest update remediates those issues and to a large extent returns to V10 functionality. So, in essence, instead of fixing the V10 issues they broke it even more and took them 6 months, and a whole bunch of new and regression bugs to get back to something resembling what they already had. Tremendous progress that deserves its own video!
As for objectivity, do we need to fund a research to find that two taps take longer than one tap? Or that longer interactions with the UI increase the likelihood of an accident? Which specific claim do you object to?

As for objectivity, do we need to fund a research to find that two taps take longer than one tap? Or that longer interactions with the UI increase the likelihood of an accident? Which specific claim do you object to?
Of course not, no one has suggested you conduct actual research. Anyway, you would never get such research funded. It doesn't have a chance in god's green hell of showing the intended results. To claim that fractions of a second longer is obviously and objectively a real danger is simply absurd. No one is going to buy that argument without actual proof. And that proof will never exist. It's not a real thing. That argument does not hold even solid water. The details of an argument matter.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: finman100 and ianc
Of course not, no one has suggested you conduct actual research. Anyway, you would never get such research funded. It doesn't have a chance in god's green hell of showing the intended results. To claim that fractions of a second longer is obviously and objectively a real danger is simply absurd. No one is going to buy that argument without actual proof. And that proof will never exist. It's not a real thing. That argument does not hold even solid water. The details of an argument matter.
if you actually cared you would find that such research has already been done and the results have been proven, but clearly you're too busy calling everyone else a hysterical idiot.

Listen, no one has said or could argue that technology could not be distracting and dangerous when driving. That is not the question. Show how fractions of a second occasionally for one function and fractions of a second less for others is a real and sustained danger. And which of those functions are safe. Maybe the entire concept of a computer screen in a motorized vehicle is unacceptable.

What if I invite you to our Trauma Conference to make those arguments, as a physician, in front of a group of academic Emergency Physicians and Trauma Surgeons? Those experienced with actual trauma, and trained to both analyze and create the literature. Will you make those arguments for us as a group based on the evidence presented here, and of course your opinion. Will you stun the room, and get everyone to say, oh, you're right. Never thought of that?
Been there,done that. Literally.

Reading your responses, there’s clearly no point in trying ot have a reasoned, rational discussion with you on the subject I’ll end my responses here.

I rarely even touch the screen what are you guys doing and am I missing something cool to do when I'm driving? I set my temp and music everyday and drive on my 100 mile commute. Wipers are about the only thing i touch and that wouldn't improve no mater where you place it on a touchscreen.
  • Changing the temp because I’m no longer comfortable.
  • Turning the heated seats on/off because the ‘auto’ funciton doesn’t work.
  • Trying to turn off auto dimming headlights so they don’t piss people off
  • Trying to turn on my headlights because they’re not on but it’s raining/snowing/sleeting and they need to be on
  • Turning on the defroster so I can see.
  • Turning off the defroster so I can hear
  • Turning on the rear window defogger
  • Turning on the rear seat heaters so my kids don’t freeze
  • Trying to change the view of the map so it has the proper orientation
  • checking to see what my Energy efficiency is for this trip
  • trying to connect the car to my phone’s wifi hotspot
  • Swiping away one message so I can see another one that was obscured
You’ll note what I didn’t list:
  • Playing sonic the hedgehog
  • playing backgammon
  • making fart noises
  • browsing the web
  • watching youtube videos
  • Checking my calendar
  • Switching between any of the audio options that I don’t use (spotify, tidal, caraoke, tunein,)
  • Looking at an energy display that takes half of the screen to give me less useful information than I got from the trip card before
It’s great that you never need to use the user interface, but the fact is many people do. That’s why it’s called a User interface.

• Trying to turn on my headlights because they’re not on but it’s raining/snowing/sleeting and they need to be on
  • playing backgammon
  • making fart noises
  • browsing the web
  • Checking my calendar
  • Switching between any of the audio options that I don’t use (spotify, tidal, caraoke, tunein,)
  • Looking at an energy display that takes half of the screen to give me less useful information than I got from the trip card before
It’s great that you never need to use the user interface, but the fact is many people do. That’s why it’s called a User interface.
Hey, welcome back! Thought you were a goner, for sure.

Last edited:
  • playing backgammon
  • making fart noises
  • browsing the web
  • Checking my calendar
I don't do any of that I'm just driving and hey if I'm overwhelmed with tech I should probably pull over so that I don't endanger anyone if I have to do two pages of things just to drive. I don't use the auto highbeams because I think they annoy people anyway.

If you're that involved though you really should pull over. Good thing you have a Tesla so many kids lost there lives because cars without seat heaters and they froze to death.

Isn't this all fixed in the new update anyway? Can you give me a new list after the custom icon update?

I've never had foggy windows what do you turn your climate off and fog and freeze your children?