Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: "Systems are powering up" error message

Do you get an error message “Systems are powering up. Please press brake when this message clears"

• I do not get this error message

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I rarely get this error message on occasion, and it passes quickly.

Votes: 68 32.2%
  • I get this error message frequently, and it passes quickly.

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • I get this error message frequently, and it can take 15-30 seconds or more to clear.

Votes: 97 46.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having the same issue since the last two updates. My Slacker will be offline as well, and take up to a minute to reconnect. The sound system used to come on when I open the door, even after a couple days not using it. I had Tesla send an update again so I could reload, but still having the same problem.
I have a late 2017 MS..2.5 hardware

This message is normal. It's the car going to sleep, and has to wake up.

I agree that this is a normal boot-up from sleep mode. It sound like sleep mode is engaging more quickly/often than before with some cars or firmware versions. It just happened to me after maybe 15 minutes from parking. At least it boots up much faster than my laptop. I bet turning on "Always On" would fix it. If it starts getting too annoying I'll set Always On and try to remember to shut it off when parking for the night.

2019.12.11 seems to fix the boot issue; car connected and was ready to go this morning after loading last night. The sound system still periodically skips while on Slacker, but the LTE only had one bar. I'll continue to monitor that..

several software versions/months ago I used to get powering-up messages that lasted more than 10sec or so, then more recently (eg. on 2018.50.6) I might see them once or twice a week but only for a second or two, so not a big problem

last night I got the v9 2019.12.1.1 update. Went to my car after the update completed to check the release notes, everything seemed fine. Then this morning after I got into my car to drive, both the the instrument display AND the 17" touchscreen remained completely black for maybe 5-10 seconds or so, then the instrument display came on with the Systems are powering up message.... a bit more waiting, then the MCU did a reboot and the touchscreen finally turned on. Everything normal after that. Never seen this happen in 3+ years before today, even after a software update. Hopefully just a one-of occurrence... FWIW I have energy saving = on, always connected = off.

several software versions/months ago I used to get powering-up messages that lasted more than 10sec or so, then more recently (eg. on 2018.50.6) I might see them once or twice a week but only for a second or two, so not a big problem

last night I got the v9 2019.12.1.1 update. Went to my car after the update completed to check the release notes, everything seemed fine. Then this morning after I got into my car to drive, both the the instrument display AND the 17" touchscreen remained completely black for maybe 5-10 seconds or so, then the instrument display came on with the Systems are powering up message.... a bit more waiting, then the MCU did a reboot and the touchscreen finally turned on. Everything normal after that. Never seen this happen in 3+ years before today, even after a software update. Hopefully just a one-of occurrence... FWIW I have energy saving = on, always connected = off.

I had a very similar experience as you did after installing V9 2019.12.1.1 update last night. The MCU froze, the car stopped charging, and the cluster said something like "Software update: Service Center Required" After two minutes, the MCU and cluster reset. Today was the first day that I got the "systems are powering up" message. I waited about a minute and got a little impatient. I pressed the brake pedal down and everything started up just as you would expect.

2013 MS 85

My MCU1 car rarely shows it, and when it does, it clears under 10s. My wife's MCU2 shows it a lot more often and takes longer to clear. I don't drive it often, so my information may be a couple of software versions behind, but given that the phone app takes many times longer to connect to MCU2 than to MCU1 with always-connected ON (not an option for MCU2), I suspect it is still the case. Simply put, MCU2 doesn't seem to have a low power standby mode (or just doesn't have one implemented), plus both cluster and IVI screens are driven by the same MCU2 (in MCU1 they are separate computers).

Last edited:
Update 2019.12.11: returned to the car after work, and ‘no connectivity’ was displayed on the main screen and dash screen was black. Pushed the break and ‘systems starting up’ popped up. Took about 20sec to connect. My Slacker sound tracks are still skipping a lot, so my assessment is the bug is not fixed in this version. Very frustrating...I’m a believer but losing faith that this is sustainable at scale.

2019.12.1 is definitely causing this issue way more often on my car than the older software was. Two times now after I get in my car after work (with Sentry mode on) the car takes a good minute to power up. MCU is on, but the instrument cluster takes about 10 seconds to power on and then it basically restarts 2-3 times before I can drive the car.

I have never seen the error message, but I'm often greeted in the morning with no response to the key until I tap the driver's door a few times and it eventually pops out. Then it lets me remove the charging cable, but I'm still greeted with two black screens. Today after waiting more than a minute I did a soft reboot and gradually it came to life. The strange thing to me is the car will still back out of the garage and the brakes work even though the screen is unresponsive. It has never happened at any time other than the first thing in the morning, although the back-up camera is blank several times a week when I get into the car. I have an appointment in two weeks with service.

My car (April '16 S 75D) started doing this several months ago. Lately it happens almost every single time I get in the car and it always takes 20 to 30 seconds to clear. Very annoying. I do not have energy savings turned on.

yep it was gone for a while and now with 2019.8.5 and 2019.12.1 it's a daily occurence. Kind of a pain - passengers start wondering if car is working or not for an awkward 30 seconds or so lol. I have energy savings on with always connected on. I've had these same settings for about 2 yrs and it was working fine till just recently. Interesting to see that turning it OFF does NOT solve the problem. This is a late 2016 S 75D AP2

P85D with MCU1 running v9 2019.12.1.1 here. I only got this message after I enabled Energy Saver mode. I get it every time I start the car but it's always 1-4 seconds and then I'm up and running. Disabling Energy Saver stops the issue.

I haven't noticed too much difference in vampire drain with or without Energy Saver. I will say that the vampire drain in my Model S is eye-watering compared to the negligible vampire drain in my old Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive - I would lose maybe a mile every other day at most when idle. But that car doesn't have anywhere near the level of connectivity of a Tesla.