Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: "Systems are powering up" error message

Do you get an error message “Systems are powering up. Please press brake when this message clears"

• I do not get this error message

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I rarely get this error message on occasion, and it passes quickly.

Votes: 68 32.2%
  • I get this error message frequently, and it passes quickly.

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • I get this error message frequently, and it can take 15-30 seconds or more to clear.

Votes: 97 46.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got this message, it takes a reboot to clear it.
I seem prone to getting it much more frequently if I have a USB drive attached
I removed my USB drive some time ago, with no benefit.
Rebooting would take longer for me to clear the message than just waiting it out. The longest I had was about 60 seconds, the most common time interval is 2-3 seconds, though I get 30 second delays at least every 3rd or 4th time I get in the car.
I am not sure if getting my butt off the seat and opening and closing the door would provide me much info, as the message could easily clear in that time. I would not know if it was my actions or the car correcting/waking itself up.

FYI, I am in frequent communication with Tesla. They asked me to keep a log and submit bug reports through the in-car feature. They confirmed that it is a firmware issue. Fine. Now fix it. It has been 3 months. I do not think it is reasonable for me to continue with this problem for much longer.

This is far from normal. The message can appear and last 30 seconds even if I leave the car unattended for as little as 1 minute. Heck, even if I left the car for a cold soak overnight, this is not acceptable. For me, the message is often, though random. As I just said, it can appear after parked for a couple of minutes, and not appear if left overnight. What is the common thread here? Why triggers the vehicle to sleep sometimes (if that is what is happening)?

A car of this caliber and cost should "start" immediately. Name one other modern car that takes this long to start to drive. Heck, my 1949 Buick starts faster than my Tesla.

It has always happened to me, if the car has gone to deep sleep. Only up for a few seconds though. This is on the new Teslas with MCU2, which has a different power saving scheme.

Green text signifies a notification, NOT a warning.

I get this issue as much as a black image back up camera!

So that's about 3-5 times a week.

Yes, it has started happening to me in the later days. Can't be cold, because it's getting warmer.
Could it be the 12V battery? Mine is Sep 2018.

It has always happened to me, if the car has gone to deep sleep. Only up for a few seconds though. This is on the new Teslas with MCU2, which has a different power saving scheme.

Green text signifies a notification, NOT a warning.

Yes, it has started happening to me in the later days. Can't be cold, because it's getting warmer.
Could it be the 12V battery? Mine is Sep 2018.
My previous vehicles did not have MCU2, so I may not be used to it. Regardless, it is not acceptable to have a car not start-up/power on immediately, even after a deep sleep. Besides, that is not the case in what this thread seems to indicate. My 1949 Buick can start up in 2 seconds after a 4 day sleep, why does it make it acceptable that my very expensive brand new car takes 30 seconds (not accusing you of saying it is acceptable). Any delay is clearly a fault/misdesign, even if the message is a green "notification". Whatever the cause, or however they name it, it makes no difference to me.

My previous vehicles did not have MCU2, so I may not be used to it. Regardless, it is not acceptable to have a car not start-up/power on immediately, even after a deep sleep. Besides, that is not the case in what this thread seems to indicate. My 1949 Buick can start up in 2 seconds after a 4 day sleep, why does it make it acceptable that my very expensive brand new car takes 30 seconds (not accusing you of saying it is acceptable). Any delay is clearly a fault/misdesign, even if the message is a green "notification". Whatever the cause, or however they name it, it makes no difference to me.

Might be a software problem when I think of it. The MCU probably has a bunch of subsystems / services that needs to start up before you can go. Then if they are slow to start up the message will linger.
This can also explain the black camera. If the camera feed service times out and is dead.

It's unacceptable to have to wait for startup, but according to other threads it's also unacceptable to have vampire drain. Tesla can keep the computers running and waste power when the car is parked or they can shut the computers down and have to bootup when you are ready to leave. Doing the opposite of any of the tricks to make the car sleep should work to keep the car awake if that's what you'd prefer.

It's unacceptable to have to wait for startup, but according to other threads it's also unacceptable to have vampire drain. Tesla can keep the computers running and waste power when the car is parked or they can shut the computers down and have to bootup when you are ready to leave. Doing the opposite of any of the tricks to make the car sleep should work to keep the car awake if that's what you'd prefer.
Vampire drain is a natural phenomenon of battery technology. Leaving my cell phone on my desk without using it will result in battery drain, even if completely powered off. In an ICE car, I should expect a full tank if I let my vehicle sit for a month. The amount of losses from evaporation would not be detectable. BEV's are clearly different. It may not be desirable, but it is certainly something that must be acceptable, as long as proper work has been done to keep it minimal, without interference on other car functions. In software version 8 and below, we had an option to keep the connection active (I forgot at this moment what that was called) and save on vampire drain. We lost that in version 9. Keep in mind though that we are assuming this issue is because of a deep sleep, which may not be correct. It would make more sense if this happened in the morning after a 12 hour sleep, but that is not necessarily the case. Is the car going to sleep randomly? Maybe. Tesla has told me that this is definitely a firmware issue, but why can they not made any progress in resolving it? Instead, I got Dog Mode (a good feature), fart sounds and Atari games. Nice, but I need my vehicle to operate properly first.

I feel 5 sec is acceptable. Longer is not.

Mine is mostly less than 5 seconds.

The few times (2-3) it was longer I felt it was a problem.

My gut says it’s a race condition between the multiple modules starting up. Something is late and it takes a watchdog timeout to kick it over.

Reactions: emmz0r
Seems to be getting more regular on mine, Oct 2018 car. Seems completely random, I even had both screens remain black for 20 seconds recently until it sprang to life!!
This coupled with the app not waking the car if it's not charging is doing my head in!!

Come on Tesla, sort it out

Update: I brought my car in for scheduled service for this very issue, an appointment that I scheduled 6 weeks ago. I have submitted numerous "bug reports" per Tesla's request, so that they can pull the logs and compare to diagnostics in my vehicle. I fail to understand why they cannot do that with one of the multitude of cars they have that also do this, as according to them, they are many, and they do not understand why. The manager there stated that the definitely do not have a fix for this. When I gave my cliche that my '49 Buick starts faster that my brand new Tesla, he said "We cannot compare and ICE car to an electric car." Ture, but that is not an adequate explanation to allow me to forgive this issue. I explained that whatever they find, this is something that is required to be completely resolved.

I feel 5 sec is acceptable. Longer is not.

Mine is mostly less than 5 seconds.

The few times (2-3) it was longer I felt it was a problem.

My gut says it’s a race condition between the multiple modules starting up. Something is late and it takes a watchdog timeout to kick it over.

Yeah also has race condition on the mirrors too, sometimes one of them doesn't flip out. LOL. has to be some kind of a race condition too

There is another thread here about folks who have had problems with “starting” our cars. A message appears on the dash stating (font size and color match the actual message):

Systems are powering up.
Please press brake when this message clears.

I would like to see who else is having this issue. Please comment as to what vehicle you have, software build, and year vehicle you have. I would love to have some additional data to provide to Tesla.

@4SUPER9 Took delivery in December 2018 as well and have been experiencing the same issues. It takes upwards of 15 seconds for the message to clear.

I’ve brought this up many times with service and they’ve never told me it was a firmware issue surprisingly. As of the last few weeks, my camera has also been lagging and will randomly black out as well.

This is my second Tesla and while I know my 2016 had MCU1, my 2018 with MCU2 has been terrible with this “systems are powering up” BS. I’ve started to summon the car forwards or backwards less than a foot because you’d think the car would be powered up to move... This is even sometimes hit or miss though.

I just had my vehicle in for "service" for 2 days to address this issue. They took all my bug reports and engineering did some interrogation of systems to try to figure out why this is happening (or so I was told).
I also just received firmware 8.3. No change unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: TK16688
This has only happened 1x on my 2013 S60 (and it was the one time the whole computer froze up and needed to be rebooted). When I had a loaner 2018 75D for a few days though, it was popping up on the 75D at least 2x a day. Only for a few seconds, but definitely seems like something that happened regularly with that car.