Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What was your total cost for AP/EAP + FSD?

AP/EAP + FSD cost me in total:

• I paid $2k or less and I “have” FSD!

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I got everything for $3k ($0 +$3k?)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I got everything for $4k ($0 + $4k?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I got the described $5k = $2k + $3k deal.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I paid between $6k and $8k.

Votes: 59 44.7%
  • I paid more than $8k.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I have not purchased FSD.

Votes: 42 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
Someone here got AP+ FSD for $5k while it was on sale (he apparently upgraded to AP (does not have NoA) for $2k after vehicle purchase, then purchased FSD for $3k recently when Tesla sent him the email offer)

FSD Upgrade Email

Just wanted to see how many people got this “deal!”

Pretty sure there was no way to pay an amount that is not a multiple of $1k, so there are some gaps in the poll options...if you did somehow, just pick the nearest and explain.

If I recall some people got the entire package for $4k if they ordered in the right window (during transition to AP-only being included) but had not taken delivery...there’s a decision diagram for that one.

I wonder how many people with AP “included” with the car (I think base price increased though) also got the $3k deal - that would technically mean they paid just $3k!

If you have a rare situation, do explain!

So my recollection is that I paid $8500 for EAP ($5.5K) and FSD ($3K) combined. Both were purchased AFTER delivery.

edit: Here's the details:

EAP upgrade $5500 until Sept 24
FSD Upgrade Email

Ah, I forgot about that upgrade price. Well at least we still have a valid survey response for that case!

I guess I should not have anonymized responses...want to know who actually paid less than $2k, or maybe they are just pulling our collective legs. Maybe they could explain!

@shimmy should at least vote for the $5k option...was the inspiration for this poll.

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

Here’s the link to the decision diagram from the AP/EAP transition. I guess people who had ordered with EAP but not taken delivery ended up with FSD for a total price of $5k...not $4k.

Still must be someone out there who had simple AP delivered with the car and was able to upgrade recently to FSD for $3k. Not really better than the $5k “deal” since the car base price would be more expensive all else being equal...but you never know...a recent buyer after price reductions could be looking at very low overall effective cost in the event of Tesla confusion.

I think more resolution to your poll would be interesting. Many early adopters paid $8K. Some got FSD for $2K and spent $7K total, etc. I think the high variability would be interesting....

I could have researched and entered all the known possible combinations, but I am more interested in the low end.

It looks like multiple people (3 so far) took advantage of Tesla’s incompetence to upgrade from AP (not EAP) to FSD for $3k ($5k total).

Then we have someone who allegedly got the whole thing for $3k (I would guess someone who bought the car with AP “included” and bit on the offer to go to FSD for $3k) - so similar incompetence to the $5k folks. But likely better overall depending on exactly when they bought.

And then there is the person who claims $2k! Guess maybe they took advantage of a $2k on sale FSD upgrade but only had AP on their car to start with? (I could see that happening during the transition - or maybe the $2k was available to all AP owners at one point...I thought that $2k was only extended to EAP owners though?) But, I could see it being similar to the situation today, except back in March or whenever, with Tesla screwing up in their accounting of who had what and allowing AP owners to get FSD for $2k.

I guess we could redo the poll with every conceivable scenario once we figure out what they are!

It does seem like Tesla could offer FSD in the future to HW3 owners (assuming it is good enough) for a “bargain” since they don’t have to pay for the HW swap. Maybe they’ll offer $1k at some point.

Everyone just needs to ignore their FOMO and hold out...

Last edited:
Are you on the fence on pulling the trigger on FSD?

No, would be on the fence at around $1.5k.

Enough AP owners updating for $3k it makes me think it was not a mistake on Tesla’s part. Probably a smart move to get AP owners to contribute some deferred revenue, without publicizing the offer (which would upset the notoriously irascible Tesla early adopters with EAP). Just send the email to everyone and make it look like a mistake.

Also explains the bizarre email verbiage - makes perfect sense for AP owners!

Last edited:
It looks like multiple people (3 so far) took advantage of Tesla’s incompetence to upgrade from AP (not EAP) to FSD for $3k ($5k total).

Everyone just needs to ignore their FOMO and hold out...
I answered $5k for my wife's car. I don't know what you mean by Tesla's incompetence, but I agree the pricing changes have been a mess.

Here's how it has played out for us.
  • My wife bought her car without EAP in Sept. 2018, I bought mine without EAP in October 2018.
  • EAP was listed as $5k at purchase or $6k after, and FSD was $3k at purchase or $4k after, for a total of $8k before or $10k after.
  • We both got the 30-day EAP trial shortly after purchase. We had the option during that trial to purchase EAP for $5.5k. Neither of us took it.
  • In April 2019, we were offered the new basic AP for $2k and FSD for $3k, and my wife took it.
  • As of today, I have the option to purchase AP for $3k and FSD for $6k, which is still less than the "After" price I was quoted as the time of purchase.

BTW, I did not take AP or FSD for my car, Instead I spent the money on the MPP big brake kit, track brake pads, new wheels and tires with enough cash left to fund about 6 track days.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
In April 2019, we were offered the new basic AP for $2k and FSD for $3k, and my wife took it.

I should have specified two $5k options differentiated by purchase date of FSD. Sad!

I don't know what you mean by Tesla's incompetence,

As described just above, this actually may have been smart to give AP customers FSD for $3k recently, and make EAP customers think they are the only ones getting the deal.

Last edited:
I did the same thing for my Model 3 (Sep 2018) but hesitated at the FSD for $3K and now I'm screwed. If I recall, it was only $3K for a week, or less, then it went straight to $8K. Frustrating.

So you did not get the recent email for $3k Upgrade with $3k price in the account, as some AP owners did?

Hard to tell from the responses (because I did not define the timeframe) how many people with AP recently got FSD for $3k. I know of just one person who claims they got it for that price...

Probably worth checking your account upgrade price, if you have not recently. Probably pricey but you never know.