Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: When will we get Smart Park?

When will Smart Park be released?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
We got a Musk prediction for Smart Park!

You know what that means, folks. It's time for a fun poll when we think Smart Park will actually get here. :)

71497110_10218455466491316_7091435436026888192_n.jpg

Reactions: Potpourri
I think autopark is a different algorithm. Tesla is probably focusing on a generalized driving algorithm that does parking lots, city and highway driving all in one. They probably aren't putting much resources in improving autopark.

I think autopark is a different algorithm. Tesla is probably focusing on a generalized driving algorithm that does parking lots, city and highway driving all in one. They probably aren't putting much resources in improving autopark.
I know :(. It just seems like if they can solve the short distance vision problem (which they'll need to do anyway) then auto parking should be trivial.

Some believe that Smart Summon is currently mapping parking lots, gathering data. Maybe this is partly to prepare for Smart Park.

I don't think Tesla does mapping per se. But Tesla could be collecting images of parking lots in order to train the NN to recognize a valid parking space. Using the cameras to identify a valid parking spot would be an important part of Smart Park.

How about serious auto park first? Is that too much to ask?
Car recognizes parking spots, I press which one I want to park in, car parks.
Agreed! Park is to me a binary state: it either does or it doesn’t, and parking poorly falls under “doesn’t.” What does AutoPark need to become SmartPark? And how would they be different? And how would we know? And will it ever work; it hasn’t for me yet anywhere, now on v32.11.1.

Agreed! Park is to me a binary state: it either does or it doesn’t, and parking poorly falls under “doesn’t.” What does AutoPark need to become SmartPark? And how would they be different? And how would we know? And will it ever work; it hasn’t for me yet anywhere, now on v32.11.1.

My biggest concern is the subtlety in what humans can recognize as a legal parking space, and what a machine will ever be able to recognize. You can have thousands of scenarios where there are two parallel white lines where it's not a legal parking spot.

Why would it be more useful that a smart park ?
Because working Autopark would park better than me (i.e. be able to get into small spaces in one attempt, be able to parallel park when other cars are parked poorly, be able to parallel park on curved streets and cul de sacs (this one always messes me up!), etc.).
If Smart Park has the reliability of Smart Summon it will not be useful to me. Obviously if Smart Park turns out to be an autonomous feature that will circle a parking lot looking for a spot that would be more useful than Autopark.

How about serious auto park first? Is that too much to ask?
Car recognizes parking spots, I press which one I want to park in, car parks. That would be amazing and useful if it could park as well as 99th percentile human (I'm definitely worse than that).
It does seem that Tesla releases features that we all expect to evolve, like Auto Park and the original Summon, yet they don't seem to - forever left in Beta status. Instead, we get new, not quite reliable, features. One can't say Summon was improved to Smart Summon, as you can't use Smart Summon to get you car out of your garage without risking a garage door frame hit as we have seen already. S and SS are two different features/releases. I'm not sure what the logic is for such a "Go to Market" approach...

Reactions: outdoors
I don't think Tesla does mapping per se. But Tesla could be collecting images of parking lots in order to train the NN to recognize a valid parking space. Using the cameras to identify a valid parking spot would be an important part of Smart Park.
No doubt Tesla can collect valid parking places.

You wouldn't need smart summon to do it, ofcourse.

Reactions: diplomat33
If Smart Park has the reliability of Smart Summon it will not be useful to me.
Did you check it out and found it unreliable ? You can't go by self-selected YouTube samples.

Whatever I've tried, looks quite reliable.

Some 500k summons and we have only seen a few reports of it. So, only Tesla knows how reliable it is.

BTW, I use auto park everyday. I've to just look for an empty space between two cars or one car and pillars etc.

Did you check it out and found it unreliable ? You can't go by self-selected YouTube samples.
As far as I can tell Smart Summon doesn't respond to markings on the road at all.
The thing is that Autopark needs to be way more reliable than I would be able to determine in my own testing. I guess I'm just risk averse. Maybe Tesla could offer no deductible Autopark insurance for people like me. I see things like this: Take autopark warning seriously - ruined the driver side door and it makes me feel like the feature is more trouble than it's worth. It certainly wouldn't be wasted engineering effort for Tesla to figure out how to use the sensors to almost never hit things at parking lot speeds, in fact it seems necessary if they ever hope to achieve true autonomy.

As far as I can tell Smart Summon doesn't respond to markings on the road at all.
The thing is that Autopark needs to be way more reliable than I would be able to determine in my own testing. I guess I'm just risk averse. Maybe Tesla could offer no deductible Autopark insurance for people like me. I see things like this: Take autopark warning seriously - ruined the driver side door and it makes me feel like the feature is more trouble than it's worth. It certainly wouldn't be wasted engineering effort for Tesla to figure out how to use the sensors to almost never hit things at parking lot speeds, in fact it seems necessary if they ever hope to achieve true autonomy.
Do you use any EAP features at all ? My wife doesn't use any at all - and it makes completely sense then to not try auto park or smart summon etc.

I use TACC and Autosteer. Occasionally I’ll use auto lane change if there’s no one around. I wish they offered basic AP when I bought!
So, your use is actually similar to mine (I use auto lane change a lot).

I'm also very risk averse when it comes to driving. It took me months to even try TACC and autosteer - and initially I'd try only on smaller roads when the road was completely empty. Even now I pay more attention when on AP than manual and always have my hands on thw wheel and foot on the brake.